The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Pro 2007 2.1 - 3 ghz 8 core good computer?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Mac Pro 2007 2.1 - 3 ghz 8 core good computer?

I am considering a buying 2007 8 core 3 ghz Macpro w 20 gb RAM, 1 TB 7200 hard drive. Anybody here have input on these machines .....good ones or should I be aiming for a newer machine with less RAM etc.and possibly a slower processor for similar $$. The price tag on this machine is 2k
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

They are really good computers. At this point, it's just a matter of money: if you have 4-5 grands, new Mac Pro are great. The new processor are really fast. BUT if you use Logic, for example, the multiprocessor support in OS X is not implemented as good as it is with the old Mac Pro.

Anyway, 20 GB of RAM seems to much for me. I have a Quad with 5 GB and I don't think I've ever fill it.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac
i wouldn't do it. The 2008 octo pro is the oldest machine i would buy at this time. And i don't think $2k is a particularly good deal for the machine you described.
JP
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

I didn't see the 2K price tag. I agree that 2K is not a great deal for that computer.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

So no older than 2008 eh guys? Even if processor speed is lower? What if i want to record at 96khz? It will be for my own music production ....primarily acoustic ...but I have also been an electric guy in my past life ....so I never know where I am going to go or what I might want it to do ....thereby I want the Mac Pro in case I find I need more drives etc.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Actually that model you are referring to is pretty similar to the 2008 series, which only has slightly faster RAM .667 Mhz vs 800 Mhz but it is always kind of scary to buy used computers especially apple branded.

2k is pretty high but not a rippoff.

If you can stretch it for a brand new quadcore MacPro, that is a better choice even though it is only a quad. But new MacPro´s have hyperthreading so it will show 8 threads in Logic.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

you can get 2009 2.93 Quad with 6GB RAM and 2 super drives installed for $2100 NEW on amazon.com with warranty and eligible for apple care.

the 2009 8 core 2.26 is $2399 at amazon also new with warranty.

so, $2k for that 2007 machine is priced way too high imo. you'd be crazy to pay that much imo.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

even the imac quad will far outperform... any Xeon system with DDR2 667 FBDIMM is NOT a desired system.

Scott
ADK
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have a 1st generation quad-core mac pro and its way more machine then I think i'll ever need.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Ok ....the price on that machine is way too high ...and I appreciate all of your input .... DP40 ...how are you using that earlier Mac Pro? Off to check that Amazon lead ...thx!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search