The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Configuring 4 hard drives on a Mac Pro for studio use? DAW Software
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Question Configuring 4 hard drives on a Mac Pro for studio use?

hi lolz!
OK, I know it's best to use seperate drives for the OS and for audio, but what about the other 2 bays?

1. A. OS Drive
    B. Audio Drive
    C. Audio Drive backup
    D. Documents, pics, itunes... pr0n?

2. A. OS Drive
    C. OS Drive backup
    B. Audio Drive
    D. Audio Drive backup
  3. Is a RAID array a good idea?
    A. OS Drive in RAID 0 array
    B. OS Drive in RAID 0 array
    C. Audio Drive in RAID 1 array
    D. Audio Drive in RAID 1 array
What about just raiding all 4 as an OS disk for speed and using an oxford firewire hard drive for audio?

What do you use in your extra drives?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

1. Mac OSx System Programs
2. Audio - project files, session data
3. Samples - this depends a bit on how big your sample libs are.
4. Either 2nd Sample drive for speedy access to big libraries or / Backup for either System or Audio drive.

1TB each though if using #4 as backup get a 2TB and partition and backup the 2 disks

Just and idea for many ways to skin the cat
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

we do:

1. o/s drive
2. audio drive
3. samples/loops
4. backup of audio drive
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

if you are using Pro Tools no Raid IIRC.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
if you are using Pro Tools no Raid IIRC.
Illinois Interactive Report Card?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshore View Post
#4 as backup get a 2TB and partition and backup the 2 disks
That sounds like a really good idea... maybe.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

1. OS
2. Audio
3. Samples
4. Misc files

Everything of course SSD!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
1. OS
2. Audio
3. Samples
4. Misc files

Everything of course SSD!
Thats expensive right all SSD?
Ca you put SSD drives in my mac with 1TB each?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwel View Post
Thats expensive right all SSD?
Ca you put SSD drives in my mac with 1TB each?
Yes it´s expensive but worth it!

I don´t know about 1TB SSDs, but 512GB is definitely possible. And you might go with 4. 1TB HDD.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Too soon for SSD, I read more bad reviews and comments about SSD by far over SATA Drives. Give it another year.......
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Too soon for SSD, I read more bad reviews and comments about SSD by far over SATA Drives. Give it another year.......
yep. the studio next door found out the hard way. they have a limit of how many times they can be written to. it won't just crap out on you but you won't be able to write to them anymore. you can however still read from them after that. it can be great for samples but expensive and limited in size. also many have lost info out of the blue and right now there is no way to recover lost data. I wouldn't trust my or my clients' projects to SSD yet but there are those who need to be on the cutting edge who have taken the plunge.
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Don't believe a single fuking word you reading- they're mostly shills.

I'm in the computer industry- it is 50x more cutthroat than Music. Mass storage manufacturers like WD, Seagate and Hitachi are hating the fact that Kingston OCZ and Intel beat them to the punch. After they get their **** together, they'll start praising SSD. DDS is 10x more reliable than HDDs, but do you have $3k for a hard drive?
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
yep. the studio next door found out the hard way. they have a limit of how many times they can be written to. it won't just crap out on you but you won't be able to write to them anymore. you can however still read from them after that. it can be great for samples but expensive and limited in size. also many have lost info out of the blue and right now there is no way to recover lost data. I wouldn't trust my or my clients' projects to SSD yet but there are those who need to be on the cutting edge who have taken the plunge.
Boy am I skeptical. The amount of writing that is needed in theory to exhaust the drive is astronomical. It is not a certain number of write operations to disk, but rather a certain number (100s of thousands) of overwrites of the entire drive, as write allocation is handled specially by these drives. As the poster above mentioned, in the IT world SSDs (from reputable manufacturers of course, but that goes for hard drives as well) have a very good reputation. I've had one in a laptop that I use on the road and in live shows and I'm very happy with it. It's very fast and not a single problem.

They are now being recommended as the long-term archival medium of choice for those who can afford them.

That said, they're overkill for my taste, in a studio computer with 4 hard drives, but I'm really skeptical that they are anything other than strictly more reliable than a mechanical hard drive.

-synthoid
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Ward Records View Post

I'm in the computer industry- it is 50x more cutthroat than Music. Mass storage manufacturers like WD, Seagate and Hitachi are hating the fact that Kingston OCZ and Intel beat them to the punch. After they get their **** together, they'll start praising SSD. DDS is 10x more reliable than HDDs, but do you have $3k for a hard drive?
I germ info here from real users
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Ward Records View Post

I get my info here and the DUC from real users
Old 16th January 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Configuring 4 hard drives on a Mac Pro for studio use?

So you've heard from people who can no longer write to their drive then?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search