The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me choose an electronic drum set! DAW Software
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Help me choose an electronic drum set!

Hello all!

I am a drummer, or I have been, but haven't owned a kit in a while. I've been writing out parts with BFD and other MIDI based drum software, both acoustic and electronic. It's fun, but it takes a long time, and doesn't always have the feel that I want- writing percussion first puts me in a solid sort of routine, if you will, there's nowhere to go, I'm locked into the rhythm.

It'll be electronic drums for now, I'll be getting an acoustic kit, but I don't have much space or much ability to properly record acoustic drums. I don't need to play out, so that's not an issue. I'll be using BFD 2, and the 60's drums in Kontakt, and layering in electronic sounds from Battery and Ultrabeat as well. So the sounds of the module aren't particularly important.

I came across this, it seems to have been discontinued:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wBw#ps-sellers

It's within budget. I could go a little higher, I guess. What I like about it is, 1) it is expandable, 2) it has two sensors on the snare for rim shots, 3) the cymbals are chokeable.

My only concern about electronic kits is mainly, the hi hat. If it comes to it I'll use an acoustic hat, and put a mic on it, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a realistic performance out of it. BFD 2 has tons of articulations, but will I be able to get anything more than a simple closed hat/open hat performance? I could do it later, I guess, after recording the MIDI. But of course I'd rather not have to.

I'm a real novice with this, so any advice is going to be very helpful. Thanks all! Happy New Year.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Really? Nothing?

I know how to get this going:

Pro Tools sux. Logic rulez.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

It gets down to dollars, and how picky you are as a player. Period.

My studio had a Drumkat kit and a Roland Pad80 for MIDI drums. Some drummers liked it, some could not play it at all.

I played drums in high school. I'm not that picky. I bought an Alesis Pro with the Surge cymbal pack. Makes me happy, sends MIDI to my DAW to be converted into whatever drum sounds I pick.

I'm trying to sell my acoustic kit now.
Old 28th December 2010
We're happy with our Yamaha DTXtremeIII SP

The Hihat was really easy to set up and our drummers enjoy playing the kit.

Rail
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks both of you! The Yamaha looks great... probably out of my price range, though. I'll probably go with the drum set in the link above, I can't make an intelligent decision at the moment, never having spent much time at all on an electronic kit. It'll be my learning kit, I guess. If it works out, then great.

I had a DrumKat... I've been trying to get into this electronic percussion thing for years now. I'm now pretty good at writing MIDI drum parts, but it's slow. The DrumKat I liked, but I never could save the presets I had set up, so I sold it on ebay. What I didn't know was, there is a battery that powers the memory that stores presets, and it was not functional.

For some reason this battery is soldered into the processing board in there, not visible, and I didn't know it was there. I just thought I didn't know how to use the thing. I felt terrible, I had shipped it out to Belgium with the caveat that it was what it was, since I really couldn't stand by the sale easily from the States. I bought the guy a new battery, once I knew what the problem was, and shipped it to him. I later heard he had some problems soldering the thing in... I told him to keep me up do date, and never heard back. I hope he got it working.

Off topic, I guess. I'll have the USB Alesis thing shipped out next week, I'll post what my experience with it is.

Happy New Year!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search