The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Optimizing Hard Drives! (mac)
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Optimizing Hard Drives! (mac)

Hey Slutz! See bolded sections for the questions, the rest for background info.

Okay, so I have a 2008 Mac Pro 8-core 2.8ghz w/ 12gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM.

I used to have it configured:

3x 500gb 16mb cache 7200 internal SATA drives in RAID0 config for session files and samples.

1x 128gb 16mb cache 10k rpm internal sata for System

2x 1tb 16mb cache 7200 internal SATA drives in RAID0 config for Time Machine (nothing excluded from backup)

That was pretty screamin' - noticed a marked upgrade from single drives, samples loaded very fast and didn't have much/any trouble triggering them.

I was using a 3rd party chassis that goes in the 2nd optical bay to get 6 total internal drives.

That was great, until the 10k rpm drive and one of the 1TB drives crashed. I suspect heat as the culprit, having so many drives jammed in together. (although the 10k I'd had for a few years and maybe I just ran through its duty cycle). The 10k got the "click of death", while the 1tb started being recognized only intermittently - decided this wasn't secure and removed it from the system.

-----------

So, now I'm left w/ 3x 500gb drives and 1x 1tb drives. I currently have:

3 500gb drives, no raid:

Samples
Sessions (project files and .wav files)
Samples

1tb drive:

Safety (TM backup)

I'm having issues with sample load time and hiccups upon triggering.

What is the best way to configure this, in your opinion?

raid 0 of 3 500gb drives for systems, samples, and sessions + time machine?

or

raid 0 of 2 500gb drives for samples + sessions, separate system drive + time machine?

or raid 1 of 2 500gb drives for samples + sessions, separate system drive _ time machine (I can *barely* fit all of my data this way, though....)

I have looked at prices on SSD and they're still wayyy too expensive for me. Buying a couple of extra SATA drives and some external enclosures wouldn't be out of the question, though.

Also, what's the fastest way to interface drives with my system? Internal SATA, buy a pci-e eSATA controller and use externals, buy a pci-e USB3 controller and run externals? As far as I can tell from the system specs, I'm limited to 3GB/s protocol on my internal sata connections.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search