The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Echo Audiofire Latency with virtual Instruments fixed? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Question Echo Audiofire Latency with virtual Instruments fixed?

Hey there,

I hope this is the correct forum to post my question. Thought of posting it in Low End Theory but decided against this.

Here we go:
I am searching an audio interface in the lower price range and narrowed my choices down to the Echo Audiofire 4 and the Alesis io2.

Searching for reviews for both sound cards I ran into quite a discussion about latency issues using the Audiofire cards here:
http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=900894&sid=8b2a53c5b0fa49 63c98732db3fb051c2

Though this discussion is from 2009, I am unsure about buying an Echo product, since I am relying on low latency using virtual instruments in my live setup.

My current computer setup consists of a mid 2009 series 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz with 4 GB ram running Ableton Live 8.1.3 and Logic Pro 9.1.3 using Mac OS X 10.6.5.

Is there anyone here using a Macbook Pro and any Echo Audiofire interface in a live situation and would be so kind to share experience?
Preferrably playing virtual instruments in their setup.

Thanks for your ideas.
dualmono

ps: In case you are wondering: the interface should be able to provide the following:

- 2 mic ins with 48V phantom power
- 1 high Z instrument in
- at least 2 audio outs
- 24bit/44.1khz
- 1 midi in/out
- be able to run bus powered
- be able to provide low latency so playing virtual instruments in the host applicationmakes sense
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
You shouldn't have any problems with latency using ableton and the AF4. I used an AF8 with Ableton for a year at live shows with no hiccups on my 2008 macbook. AF8s are not buss powered though.

Used VIs and sample triggers and never had a problem.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for your input.

Just to make sure I understand it correctly:
You actually played those VIs with a keyboard via MIDI (for example) and playing felt in time and not laid-back?
Did you have a seperate MIDI interface, or did you use the MIDI input from the AF8?

Cheers,
dual
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualmono View Post
Thanks for your input.

Just to make sure I understand it correctly:
You actually played those VIs with a keyboard via MIDI (for example) and playing felt in time and not laid-back?
Did you have a seperate MIDI interface, or did you use the MIDI input from the AF8?

Cheers,
dual
Yes. Kontakt (Alicia's Keys, Symphobia - both resource heavy), Cakewalk Rapture and Dimension Pro, Wav Samples....all loaded into separate strips in Ableton.

Used the usb out to an m-audio midi board (axiom 61, keystation 61).

The buffers are set in the echo software so stability/latency weren't a problem on my macbook 4,1 (2.1ghz core 2 duo, 4gb 667mhz ram, 7200 rpm drive). Also, echo drivers are super solid.

Again, the AF8 is not buss powered- which I believe is the only difference from the AF4 aside from I/O count. May or may not make a difference.

I've used other buss powered interfaces (presonus, motu, m-audio) with the same setup and that wasn't an issue either. Hope this helps thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Brilliant news!
Thanks for your help and have a great new year!
dualmono

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search