The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Processor Question
Old 26th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Fizzyhair's Avatar
 

Processor Question

I'm deliberating over paths for building my new Studio PC. Now I'm an IT engineer so I'm aware of the capabilities of different processors in the real world, but I'd like some input from the users of Cubase as to how it responds to these CPUs. After all no point in having a super computer if the software can't utilise it.

I have my eye on a system based on a Supermicro Dual xeon board with 2x 3.2ghz quad core xeons on it. 12GB of DDR2

Will cubase be able to get the best from this or is it maximised for single chip?
Old 26th December 2010
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Just a question mate, why are you using 12gb of DDR2 and not a less amount of gb on a DDR3?

Also, will your OS even support that amount of RAM? some OS'd wont use anymore than 4-8?

Also, I am sure Cubase (especially the newer updates) will take advantage of quad core processing, but more cores isnt neccesarily better..
I was reading about the difference between an i5 and i7, and while the i7 has more cores, it has a lesser frequency on each of them, and also the i5 just did a lot better due to its frequency.
So different processors are made for different things, and since your going to be using this as primarily an audio machine not something that requires massive amount of graphic processing less cores *may* be better with a faster speed.

It might be worth doing some research on this, as I cant remember all the facts off of the top of my head, but im sure thats what I was reading lol.

Also you might want to see if your mobo can support maximum use of a firewire soundcard, as firewire 800 is simply much faster than USB 2.0
and also your gonna need a big FSB as possible to make maximum use of the processing.
Old 27th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Fizzyhair's Avatar
 

Processor Question

DDR2 was a Typo lol. Of course DDR3 is what I ment. I happen to have a good deal through work on a Tylersburg Board and a factory matched pair of Xeons that we bought for a client and never installed. The whole thing would be about the same as a i7 setup. Hence the question really.
With the correct drivers and setup windows 7 can support 192GB of DDR3 btw.
Old 27th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzyhair View Post
I'm deliberating over paths for building my new Studio PC. Now I'm an IT engineer so I'm aware of the capabilities of different processors in the real world, but I'd like some input from the users of Cubase as to how it responds to these CPUs. After all no point in having a super computer if the software can't utilise it.

I have my eye on a system based on a Supermicro Dual xeon board with 2x 3.2ghz quad core xeons on it. 12GB of DDR2

Will cubase be able to get the best from this or is it maximised for single chip?
yes cubase can use all cores, are you talking about 5580 Xeons?

more importantly is the mobo and what you intend to put inside it.
most of the Xeon boards do not behave well with audio in respect to PCI/PCIe cards. there is only a small handful that work well.

if you can actually get the system for the price of an i7 system then go for it.
if you had to pay full price its definately not worth it for most.

FYI you need 6 sticks of ram for the ram to run correctly.
Scott
ADK
Old 27th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by civictiger View Post
Just a question mate, why are you using 12gb of DDR2 and not a less amount of gb on a DDR3?

..
I was reading about the difference between an i5 and i7, and while the i7 has more cores, it has a lesser frequency on each of them, and also the i5 just did a lot better due to its frequency.
.
umm in no way will an i5 beat an i7 for audio or video.
(other than Mobile)
Scott
ADK
Old 29th December 2010
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
umm in no way will an i5 beat an i7 for audio or video.
(other than Mobile)
Scott
ADK
If a program cant use 4 cores and only 2, then 2 cores are useless.
2/4 cores of a 1.83ghz processor, is going to be slower than 2 cores of a 2.3ghz processor - so, in some situtations, it can - just depends if the programs can use the cores.
Old 29th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by civictiger View Post
If a program cant use 4 cores and only 2, then 2 cores are useless.
2/4 cores of a 1.83ghz processor, is going to be slower than 2 cores of a 2.3ghz processor - so, in some situtations, it can - just depends if the programs can use the cores.
i repeat in no way will an i5 beat an i7 regardless of core usage.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mitched / Low End Theory
6
DCW / Music Computers
1
Tunes 666 / Music Computers
3
brownmouse / Music Computers
20

Forum Jump
Forum Jump