The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What SSD to use on a Mac Build for Audio Applications and why?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

What SSD to use on a Mac Build for Audio Applications and why?

Hi Y'all

this may have been asked before but no one really could give a straight answer as far as i could see in the posts history. my apologise if someone has already addressed it somewhere else and i cant find it.

im looking to install a new SSD in my mac pro 8 core. i was told the Patriots were the right ones to use, but i just wanted to get some thoughts on GS as to what brand i should be using any why. i am under the impression there is only a hand full of brands that work best with macs is that correct?

regards

anthony
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have a 80gb intel ssd in my mac pro for samples. Works great
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
OWC (macsales.com) have their homebrand which is excellent by all accounts.

It uses the 'sandforce' controller chip like the other brands top of the line SSDs and has a sort of "TRIM" capability for mac which is normally only available for windows.

Anyway they are the drives I'm looking at and are apparently probably the most reliable on Mac OS right now if you believe the hype and bring sandforce controllers at an affordable price point

Comes in annoying sizes for me though when 80gb would be ideal
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Since SSD is a flash drive.. does it eventually lose its ability to write like flash drives in iPods and that of the Macbook Air?

I think you can perform 100,000 writes on both the air and the iPod's with flash drives before they just collapse and cannot be used anymore.
Also dont SSD's run the risk of data loss, particularly if the machine undergoes a powercut for example?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

There is some truth to what you said about writes. So you don't want to use the SSD as your audio drive. But it would be great for sample libraries, because with those you just write once and then only read after that.

As far as using them for the actual system drive, that might be okay also, because you wouldn't necessarily be writing on them all the time, unless you do a ton of word processing, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search