The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking to upgrade to pt9hd. need some advice Audio Interfaces
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

looking to upgrade to pt9hd. need some advice

hi im currently running pt8 mpowered looking to upgrade to pthd.
soon i will be building a powerfull i7 pc so i was wondering am i better off just getting pt9 with cptk with an lynx or apogee or does the tdm cards really make a difference.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
hi im currently running pt8 mpowered looking to upgrade to pthd.
soon i will be building a powerfull i7 pc so i was wondering am i better off just getting pt9 with cptk with an lynx or apogee or does the tdm cards really make a difference.
If you're tracking, it's important, IMHO.
But, if just 1 track at a time, no big deal.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitscat View Post
If you're tracking, it's important, IMHO.
But, if just 1 track at a time, no big deal.
im only recording single vocalist. so are the tdm plugins no different to rtas apart from they use the core card?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Technically, they're no different. Some people have reported hearing a slight difference, but the companies that make them say they're no different.

It sounds like it might be overkill for your to get full HD. But for the money you're thinking about spending, you might look into the new HD Native bundle with Omni. It would come with the HD software, which has all the functionality of the Complete Toolkit (so you wouldn't need to buy that), but still uses the the computer's processing with RTAS plugins, but has the stability of being an integrated hardware/software solution.

I mention that because of how much you're considering spending on PT9, Complete Toolkit, and a high quality interface.
Old 26th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
im only recording single vocalist. so are the tdm plugins no different to rtas apart from they use the core card?

I believe TDM plugins a 48bit, apposed to your RTAS which are 32bit FP. I could be wrong, but I remember reading this somewhere.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

also i have a m audio firewire 18/14 so could i run say an apogee rosetta 200 through that instead of buying the xcard would there be any latency problems or is that down to the pc? cheers
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
also i have a m audio firewire 18/14 so could i run say an apogee rosetta 200 through that instead of buying the xcard would there be any latency problems or is that down to the pc? cheers
Latency, is really more to do with your computer, ram situation.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
I believe TDM plugins a 48bit, apposed to your RTAS which are 32bit FP. I could be wrong, but I remember reading this somewhere.
If the plugins are double precision which I believe most are these days then the TDM are 48 bit fixed point and RTAS are 64 bit floating point.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

The bits refer to the mixing engines of the various Protools systems. TDM is 48 bit fixed, HD native is 64 bit floating point, and "standard" Protools (or Protools LE or M-Powered) is 32 bit floating point.

As for the latency question, you can use the Rosetta with the 1814 and as long as you hook it up digitally, you should be fine.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

thats cool cheers guysthumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
looking to upgrade to pt9hd. need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86

This will make no difference sonically - totally irrelevant.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Going HD you may want to consider trackcount. You'll need at least HD2 to get the same amount of tracks as HD9 native +CPTK2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search