The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing Synthetic music for beginners
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Mixing Synthetic music for beginners

Hi,
I've been recording music for a few years now and I've had my songs professionally mixed previously. I can no longer afford to go this route - and I own DIGI 002, so I figure I may as well start learning now, to try and get the best mixes for my songs - possible.

I wondered if anybody could refer me to some good, layman friendly articles regarding mixing, adding eq, making a mix shine etc, especially with limited gear.

My music is a mixture of hard, synthetic, guitar based R&B, similar to Hud Mohawke and Rustie. Bright, polished & loud.

Cheers guys.

P.S
If I was to eventually go with a Waves bundle, which one do you think would be more suitable for my kind of music?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Anyhelp?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

There's a few other forums on gearslutz (in addition to 'music computers'). Read these extensively if they interest you or you feel an affinity for info you find there. Some would say to ignore anything you read on a forum though so...

I could also suggest reading books, especially ones that provide commentary with critical listening reference or settings that apply on modern plugins & gear you'll be using. For instance:
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools

Mastering Audio, Second Edition: The art and the science (Book)

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition

If you need to bone up on recording techniques (recording a live instrument or vocalist etc):
Modern Recording Techniques, Seventh Edition (Book)

The Recording Engineer's Handbook (Artistpro)

(shouldn't be any ref/account info from me in those links btw.)
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hey,
Thank you for the references. I suppose I'm looking for online ideas really, advice tips etc.
I'm pretty cool when it comes to setting up a recording session, my issue is more about the actual mix...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search