The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to make my imac 27 i7 perfrom at it's peak? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

How to make my imac 27 i7 perfrom at it's peak?

So a couple of months ago i decided to go ahead and purchase the imac 27 i7 (2.93) computer hoping it will be strong enough to handle all the computer music I will be doing. I use the native instrument komplete, NI Maschine, Omnisphere, Trilian and Refx nexus. I currently have 8 gb for ram in the computer but it seems to still act up. What I mean by acting up is that it seems to run slower than I expected. When running on Logic, it seems to run a little but smoother but on Pro tools 9, seems to F up, even when i change the buffer settings. What are some tricks to try and get your computer to run a smooth as possible. I think already one of my issues is that I have some of the sound libraries on the hard drive of the computer and not an external.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

That is certainly something you want to address. You want to have the ability to use other drives, and that's the principal limitation of the iMac.

Basically, you want to at least be recording to another drive- you can probably use Firewire for this. You'll also want to be pulling samples from another drive as well, eSATA would be ideal for this, if you have it. I don't know if your iMac does, but look into it.

Anyway, whatever you can do to spread the load over a few drives is going to be best. Good luck!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

yeah i was reading that I can send the imac to this company that will mod it out with an esata port at the bottom of the computer. i do however record the audio on an external drive just don't have the sound libraries of all my synths on an external drive.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think the Esata mod would be worth it in your case. Besides that, you might want to read up on Vienna Ensemble Pro, which is a program that runs Audio Units versions of your instruments outside of Protools, and can use all the available ram. It can run on the same computer, or on another one as a slave.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

The eSATA port will be helpful, mind that it doesn't violate your warranty with Apple, though. I thought most iMacs had the ports now anyway, at least the last generation.

Using Kontakt, which you have with Komplete, runs in 64 bit and can access its own RAM as well.

Are you running Logic in 64 bit mode, as well? It defaults to 32 bit, and is only available in 9.1 and up. Bear in mind that any new virtual instruments have to be verified in 32 bit (probably 9.0) before you can use them in 64 bit, which is an irritation and something that a lot of folks ask about on forums.

Good luck!
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Head

yeah I run in 64 bit mode.. runs so much smoother. I found what the problem was. it was my external hard drive, it ended up dying on my and i lost pretty much everything i recorded. (learning lessons). other than that my imac 17 is running well. Haven't updated he ram cause i haven't had the need to just yet. Update when i reach limitations.
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

If you are concerned about having one firewire port, pick up a powered Firewire hub.

thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search