The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 --- low recording level issue Condenser Microphones
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Addict

It's hard to tell just how bad the problem everyone is describing actually is. When we say gain all the way up and still quiet do we mean unusable and clearly defective, or just that you need to turn it 90% up before you get a loud clear signal?

As Masaaki said, the latter is pretty much normal and common with all of these all-in-one preamp solutions.

If you think it's bad on Focusrites you ought to try out M-Audio's Fast Track line. Mine was inaudible until about 90% gain then turning it 0.5 degrees too far made it artificially loud & distorted. I basically just electrical-taped the gain dial into one permanent position. Got rid of that thing quickly.

The Focusrites are adequate for most new sensitive condensers but I wouldn't bother with something like the sm7 or the dynamic Sennheiser mentioned.
Old 11th October 2012
What I've found is that the Focusrite Saffire pre's sound OK (for budget) when 'in the zone' i.e. careful room set up, positioning and gain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search