The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adictive drums and midi question
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Adictive drums and midi question

Hi troops,

I'm just wondering if there is an easier way to do this.
I have addictive drums set up in cubase 5 and I have them set up on their own individual outs (as in several instances of ad with the arrow at the bottom of each drum channel checked) so each open cubase channel contains only one drum from each instance of ad)

This is how the ad manual says to do it, but what I have now is multi channels of the same midi information. So if I write a drum pattern on my drum machine/ keys etc I then have to copy and paste that info to each channel of cubase to allow it to seperate the drum sounds.

I am new to midi recording so please be gentle if this is an alarmingly obvious question, but can the midi information be seperated before it gets to cubase so that recording drum fills etc sends the info for each drum to each channel?

Cheers
Baz
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

I have a question relevant to this too... (like yourself, i'm new to this game)

Is it possible to route the individual drums(mics) in BFD/SUPERIOR/ADDICTIVE to it's own AUDIO channel?

Ie, if i have my electric kit set up, and i want to record a 'take' and have the kick/snare/toms/ohl/ohr/room all on separate AUDIO tracks. is that possible at all?

thanks
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveit View Post
I have a question relevant to this too... (like yourself, i'm new to this game)

Is it possible to route the individual drums(mics) in BFD/SUPERIOR/ADDICTIVE to it's own AUDIO channel?

Ie, if i have my electric kit set up, and i want to record a 'take' and have the kick/snare/toms/ohl/ohr/room all on separate AUDIO tracks. is that possible at all?

thanks
Yes, you should be able to use your electric kit to be able to play kits and break them out into separate tracks to process separately.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

I think we are essentially asking the same question. my gut feeling is it's something to do with the 16 midi channels that all the drum machines/kits/keys send out. I.e how to seperate them to their own channel, but I havnt twigged it yet.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboogieman View Post
Hi troops,

I am new to midi recording so please be gentle if this is an alarmingly obvious question, but can the midi information be seperated before it gets to cubase so that recording drum fills etc sends the info for each drum to each channel?

Cheers
Baz
Hi,
Yes, you should be able to open the midi editor and do that in a number of ways.

You could do it by selecting, let's say.

Ex: Taking all the Kick Drums, on say C1, you can copy them, then paste them to a new midi track if you like. Delete the kick notes from the original total drum midi track and you've separated kick to separate channel.

You can also go into the back of your drum software and have the kick go to a separate audio track.

Hope any of this makes sense. If you need clarifications or other questions, send them and will try to do better.

Happy Christmas
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Davidit, sorry I didnt spot you said audio. the electronic kits are easy, they have individual audio outs that you send to individual channels (except the chheper ones with just a stereo out)

Anyone any ideas on the midi side?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitscat View Post
Hi,

Ex: Taking all the Kick Drums, on say C1, you can copy them, then paste them to a new midi track if you like. Delete the kick notes from the original total drum midi track and you've separated kick to separate channel.
scitscat,
That in essence is what i have now, only the midi notes arnt seperate, the different channels of ad just play certain ones of them.

I'm trying to seperate the midi notes before they hit a channel in cubase as when cubase records new takes it layers all the parts on top of one another, which gets very messy very quickly.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
scitscat,
That in essence is what i have now, only the midi notes arnt seperate, the different channels of ad just play certain ones of them.

I'm trying to seperate the midi notes before they hit a channel in cubase as when cubase records new takes it layers all the parts on top of one another, which gets very messy very quickly.
My tip: I don't know if you can do this on Cubase, but in Logic, if you want to work with different takes, you can create different tracks for each take. Each midi region on each track will trigger the drum sampler by connecting them to the primary track (where the drum sampler is inserted). This way the midi notes won't be on top of each other, and you can edit, cut and paste easier, than having each midi note on each separate track. It would look like this:

Adictive drums and midi question-picture-9.jpg

Only the primary track has the drum sampler inserted ("Drums"). In Logic is easy to connect the other tracks (Take1, Take2, etc... ) to this one, so they can trigger drums, and since Cubase and Logic are quite similar, there should be a way you can do that.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
scitscat,

Ok, seems like a couple of things here, so you want to record in loop mode without losing your previous take?

The person posting below, showing in Logic, is how I generally do it. Use multiple midi tracks and have them all output to the same drumtrack/Virtual Instrument, so:

Example:

Set Audio Input 1 or whatever
and then create a few midi tracks, like 8 to have outputting to the Virtual instrument.

If you go F11 believe, in cubase, you can input a VI-virtual instrument, then create these tracks.

Once you have that set up...

Each midi track should be dedicated to, remember, simply examples, but..

Midi 1= Kick
midi 2 = Snare
Midi 3 = Hihat
Midi 4 = Open HiHat

------------------

If, you've already recorded a part with all the pieces, like Kick, Snare, and hats, simply open the VI editor, double click on the piano on the left side, in piano roll. The note will be highlighted, all the notes on that note will be highlighted, you can then select cut...... Go to the track that you want to have your kicks on and paste. Do this again and again, until the pieces are gone into the proper tracks, of your choosing.

---------------------------------------------------
Now, as far as cubase erasing the previous take, and you wanting to keep it.
It's not really erasing, should be saving in some sort of Takes folder, sorry, mostly use Logic, but have used Cubase and am looking at it now, so if you want to shoot any questions, can try to help.

Happy Christmas and hope some of this helped.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Frog View Post
My tip: I don't know if you can do this on Cubase, but in Logic, if you want to work with different takes, you can create different tracks for each take. Each midi region on each track will trigger the drum sampler by connecting them to the primary track (where the drum sampler is inserted). This way the midi notes won't be on top of each other, and you can edit, cut and paste easier, than having each midi note on each separate track. It would look like this:

Attachment 210865

Only the primary track has the drum sampler inserted ("Drums"). In Logic is easy to connect the other tracks (Take1, Take2, etc... ) to this one, so they can trigger drums, and since Cubase and Logic are quite similar, there should be a way you can do that.

Beautiful demo Senor!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

hi Troops, thanks for the input. I wasnt very clear about the overlapping, cubase dosnt erase any of the midi notes you enter to a track, it just plonks the layers on top of each other, which is what gets messy.

I have already got it to the stage of being able to open multi instrument channels via f11 (thats what I'm doing now) and then being able to drag clips to other channels or like previously mentioned assigning ad to send different drums to differnt channels.

What I'm trying to find out is how to seperate the midi notes "before" they reach the cubase channels so that midi notes can be sent to individual channels without the need to drag/copy/paste.

Cheers
Baz
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

I sincerly appreciate all your advice guys, thanks a million

I still don't think i've relayed my message properly to find a 'correct' answer though. Is it okay to try again?

When recording drums for real, via a mixer, we all set up our channels to receive the audio on their dedicated channels. Channel1:kickdrum Channel2:Snare Etc. The moment that the record/play is pressed, all these channels start recording their parts in sequence. So we end up with a full drumkit each on their own dedicated channels.

Is THAT possible with the likes of BFD/SUPERIOR/ADDICTIVE? Like, can i hook up my electrc kit and do 'something' to make each DRUM within my chosen software kit route to its own individual channel as AUDIO? Just as if i'm actually recording a mic'ed up drumkit. I've perused this forum for years and years, and some of you folks know clever tricks with routing/buses/auxes etc, so i thought i'd throw it out there!

I'm guessing it might not possible due to CPU usage and render speed, as it'd probably be sky high. But i'd love to know if it is!

It'd mean that my electric kit would give me the flexibility of a real, mic'ed up kit. And immediatly after my 'take', id have 8 or so channels of audio to start editing.

thanks again for any help!!!!!!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Hi daveit,

If you have multiple outs then you can set up mulitple channels of seperate audio in your daw, but as far as addictive drums goes, I dont think you can have it on an audio track like a vst plug in (amplitube etc). I have just opened an audio channel in cubase to check and I couldnt insert ad drums to the channel.

I think you will have to do the same as I am doing and send the midi information from your kit to a midi track or instrument track and then use ad drums bfd etc to change your sounds.

So are there any midi experts in the hous that can tell us how to seperate the notes at sorce?
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks alot mate

I defintely think (if not possible), it'd make a brilliant feature for the next generation of those drum samplers. I mean, the idea is to replicate recording drums as close as possible, so heres hoping!

thanks again for the opinions guys.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

I asked the question again as a general midi one and the replys have allowed me to sort it out.

One for the Midi experts, Can this be done?

Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think we are essentially asking the same question. my gut feeling is it's something to do with the 16 midi channels that all the drum machines/kits/keys send out. I.e how to seperate them to their own channel, but I havnt twigged it yet.
I have done it. It is the split MIDI option in Cubase. You highlight the MIDI track and then right click and it is a MIDI option. I wish I could be more specific but I am not in front of my DAW., but I have done it successfully more than once.

Main thing to remember is you want to scroll to the bottom of your project to find the new MIDI files.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search