The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sandy Bridge Preview tests
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sandy Bridge Preview tests

i have several sandy bridge processors and boards some beta and some retail release.

the 2300 is a 2.8GHz and it does not even beat the 2.8GHz 760. in fact is about on par with the 750. or the AMD 1090T.

the improvements are more seen in Turbo boost and unfortunately sandy bridge turbo is worse for audio than previous.
turbo was highly suggested to be off previously now its a must.

so so far they suck... we have had maybe 6-8 hours in front of a sandy bridge with communication between several board manufactures and Intel as well trying to resolve the turbo thing..
this is the first time in a good while i have been disapointed in an Intel release.
hopefully the bios' will get better.

on a better note the memory bandwidth is about 10% better but still far behind that of an X58 platform.

Merry Christmas!

Scott
ADK
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info! thumbsup
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Scott, are you testing a 2600 (not the K version)? I'm holding off a 950 build to see what SB brings, especially the 2600 vs the 950, being that they're going to be at about the same price point. The 2600 is at least clocked higher so I'm hoping for a little better performance for a DAW.. Specifically I'm building a VE Pro based sample farm machine.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bummer... I hadn't done much research on the P67 chipset or motherboards yet.. It looks like they only offer dual channel DDR3 configs with four DIMM slots and a max of 16 gigs of ram. I want to be able to go to 24 gigs so it looks like I'll be going with a 950 (or maaaaaybe 970) build.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sandybridge is not going to touch the X58 systems for DAW use IMO, they are a direct replacement for the P55/Lynfield systems, with onboard GPU... Arghhh !!

We won't see any substantial scaling improvements until SandybridgeB2, which is the replacement for the current 1366 / X58 architecture. B2 will be Socket 2011 / Octocore/ Quad memory , due midyear 2011, and no on board GPU.

They will be the ones to look out for , the first role out is a snore IMO.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Right, I was going to ask actually how they compare to Lynnfield since that's what they're replacing but TAFKAT more or less beat me to it.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I would like to see i7 2600 vs i7 950.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

i have a 2600k as well so yes we will test it.
but i can tell you it wont touch a 950.
i didnt bother to release test #s due to low performance and hopes of some kind of fix with the bios. as i said face time with this platform has been llimited
(in part due to lack of excitement) so i dont want to post #s prematurely.
i dont have a great amount of hope for any major improvements however.

this looks more like a sideways move rather than an upward one. as Vin mentioned the ondie video is one of the aspects of Sandy Bridge.

Scott
ADK
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Ok, no problem.

So, when we can expect some tests and numbers?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like at least another year until we’ll see an enhancement in the Mac Pro line !
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well that wouldn't be in a Mac Pro anyway, unless I missed a Xeon sku or two somewhere. iMac?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

exactly the new sandy bridge will most likely find its way into the imac in April

Mac Pro 4th quarter 2011.. at very earliest.
Old 28th December 2010
any chance to test the mobile quadcores ?

might not be mind shocking but hoping for a win there (minus the lap melting)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

i am still trying to get some of the new sandy bridge processors from Intel.
they are not as easy to get as the desktop ones. then there is the issue of the laptop choices i have to put them in.. so far none have firewire or Xpress slot. so i would have to test with an RME UC or UFX.

i hope Apple does not drop firewire and express slot from thier pro line...

Scott
ADK
Old 28th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Would you recommend to buy an INTEL Core i7-980X Extreme Edition CPU @ 4 GHz NOW instead of waiting for the new Sandy Bridge CPUs?

At the moment I am running an i920 @ 2.6 GHz and I hit the limit from time to time...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you read what was said above, the upcoming sandy bridge quads (replacing the midrange p55/lynnfield chips) are not going to come close to touching a 980X. Earliest upgrade from x58 is end of 2011 sometime...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogrubert View Post
Would you recommend to buy an INTEL Core i7-980X Extreme Edition CPU @ 4 GHz NOW instead of waiting for the new Sandy Bridge CPUs?

At the moment I am running an i920 @ 2.6 GHz and I hit the limit from time to time...
have you tried overclocking yet, you could probably buy some faster RAM, better cooling and give it a go? and I guess that way if you hit the limit you have some nice hardware to overclock the 980x
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Interesting:

PassMark - Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz - Price performance comparison

Scott, any thoughts on this one?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

passmark tests bear little fruit in a real world especially with audio.

the 2.8GHz i tested vs the 2600k that i have not tested yet sitting next to the system just have not bothered to yet.

3.6 is a 30% improvement over the 2300 i did test.

i got 98 RXC @ 64 buffer 30% more is 128 RXC so barely equal with a 920.

now where near what passmark says but i will test it

scott
ADK
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

kinda disappointing.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Do yourself a favor and buy an UAD card or a Pro Tools TDM system DSPs still rock. Or buy analog gear because it lasts in value.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy an UAD card or a Pro Tools TDM system DSPs still rock. Or buy analog gear because it lasts in value.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

just a quick update to this.
without getting totally techy on you...

this architecture is unlike anything else we have ever tested/validated
when you change motherboards windows is not happy in fact we had to reinstall. (at first we assumed a ram issue or it just got corrupted somehow)

bear in mind when you swap out mobos with the same chipset in the past it was never an issue, might have a few drivers to change (usually lan.)

that was oddity #1.

changing cpus in the same board. windows EXPLODES again. we are like huh?

1) there are so many components on die (on the processor) now thats its like changing motherboards.

2) each processor is different by a good amount.

now to the best part which is going to make me end up eating some of my words i have posted concerning Sandy Bridge.
(foot in mouth)

please bear in mind we are no where done validating this platform and still a week away from being ready to release it as known "working perfect" and discoving all the tricks. we are however newly energized to get it done after first thinking, well it sucks..

the 2600k acts completely different from the 2300 (wishing i had tried it sooner i have had these well over a month ago)

as known Turbo boost can create bad DPC spikes when left on.
the 2300 was some of the worst we seen. far worse than P55/X58 platform
however the 2600k is so far NOT
turbo is also very different with sandy bridge

with a heavy project using Dawbench the turbo was hitting 3.9GHz

and was basically keeping up with a 980x. yes i just said 980x pick you jaw up off the floor.

again we discovered this @ 7pm last night so much more validation to do... including video testing...

needless to say we are excited again to test this platform... should have more today

Scott
ADK
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

interesting stuff Scott.

keep us all updated.

appreciate your threads.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks, looking forward too.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
with a heavy project using Dawbench the turbo was hitting 3.9GHz

and was basically keeping up with a 980x. yes i just said 980x pick you jaw up off the floor.
Turbo mode is up to 3.8GHz for 2600(k)?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Very interesting Scott! In turbo mode are all four cores going to 3.9 ghz or just one? Looking forward to more of your tests, please feel free to get "totally techy".. heh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Check out the xbitlabs link I posted above, there's a graph for the turbo states in sandy bridge quads vs. previous quads iirc.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks for the link i read it the day you posted it..
best one i have read yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search