The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sandy Bridge Preview tests
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
wow where to start with that one..
running at 1600 means running at 1600
not downclocked to 1333 or 1066..

why would an intel brand motherboard support 1600 if their CPUs cant do it?
My best guess is for a future processor that could?

But I'm not saying it can't do it, more like asking how it does it, and what exactly is the advantage if I'm running, say, an i950 rated at 1066 at 1600? Is is less latency? More tracks? What, exactly?

Would I really see an approximately 55% improvement running at 1600 instead or 1066, or is the real world gain much less than that or negligible? (which is why I asked about bragging rights).
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

AS i understand it;
In the old days (Intel couple of years ago...) of Front Side Bus (FSB), you could say that the RAM mhz was tied to the processor.
Now that the memory controller is on the CPU, that's no longer the issue.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
My best guess is for a future processor that could?

But I'm not saying it can't do it, more like asking how it does it, and what exactly is the advantage if I'm running, say, an i950 rated at 1066 at 1600? Is is less latency? More tracks? What, exactly?

Would I really see an approximately 55% improvement running at 1600 instead or 1066, or is the real world gain much less than that or negligible? (which is why I asked about bragging rights).
no its not for future processors
its for present processors i run all systems @ 1600 with the exception (now a dead issue anyway) of the 1156. at first when they came out you could run them @ 1600 then intel changed a few things on them where it locked them @ 1333 other than the 875 or you had to OC to hit 1600.

yes you would see an improvement using 1600 vs 1066 i dont have % but it does have much to do with your work flow and software used.
on the video side Adobe is extremely sensative to speed of ram
where just tracking/mixing @ 44.1 with a few effects and no samples you would never notice.
larger projects, heavy effects, lots of samples you would also see a big improvement.

same applies to dual channel/ tri channel and up coming quad channel.

Scott
ADK
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
other boards support DDR3 2000+ but then you get into serious tweaking/over clocking as much a geek as i am i dont ship systems that geeked up..
Hmmmm... I'm the same but our gaming guys love that stuff... which I wouldn't mind except I get to support most of it. 1800 and above is flakey as hell on most boards, and once you clear the 2000mhz level it becomes a lottery.

Too much pain for very little gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Like I said, I must have gotten lucky because I'm not a computer genius like some here claim to be.

You picked up the 2500k which I noted in testing was pretty easy to get running. It was only 2600k that caused me headaches with it's extra hyperthreading.

It's also the 2600k which is the beauty this time round so we've all had to spend time working out how to work around the various problems when overclocking and working with audio (for gaming it's pretty much fine out of the box). You wouldn't have thought it but they are very different chips to work with so if you self build be prepared to research and test for a whilst once it's built.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

yup the 2500k OCed to 4.7 could not keep up with the 2600 @ stock

32 buffer i only got 159 RXC vs 183 for a stock 2600

seems HT is vastly improved so in this case (Sandy Bridge) i may have to back off GHz vs cores

could you imagine trying to use DDR 3 2000 on the sandy bridge? pretty sure it aint happening..

Scott
ADK
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

could you imagine trying to use DDR 3 2000 on the sandy bridge? pretty sure it aint happening..
What little hair I have left is falling out of it's own accord at the very thought of trying it.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well then let me ask this: on Sandy Bridge, would you rather run 8GB of more expensive 1600 RAM or 16 GB of perfectly good 1333 RAM which would be close to the same price?
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
It's also the 2600k which is the beauty this time round so we've all had to spend time working out how to work around the various problems when overclocking and working with audio (for gaming it's pretty much fine out of the box). You wouldn't have thought it but they are very different chips to work with so if you self build be prepared to research and test for a whilst once it's built.
Hey Pete I am planning to do exactly that (self-build a 2600k setup). It will be a good project and I am prepared to trouble shoot and research. I am curious though as I anticipate a 2600k with a decent amount of ram will absolutely anihilate my current setup. What would you say, should I expect stability-wise, from running that setup without OC'ing?? (as I doubt I will need to).

I would just like the 2600k with OC capability for future security in the event I ever needed a little more juice.
Old 14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

well thats very interesting.. my first thought was man i think it might get hot..
but it states its design is about cooling...
obviously requires fan that blows down not sucks up...

Asus still scares me. i have had so many different sets of boards with them that were doa nightmares..

before that (like 5-6 yrs ago) they were my go to company but quality went down hill.
we were forced to use them for a brief time 2 yrs ago and same issues...
at least they are pretty good about RMAs.
and their laptop support/warranty is better than anyone. its a shame their laptops dont work for audio. (they used to a few yrs ago)

Scott
ADK
Old 14th January 2011
same here..

actually I am still sticking with asus as they had some products that were and are good. my P5se deluxe something works like a charm and the sabertooth (x58) is great.

let me know which board you are using the most for the sandybridge cpu. need a new comp in april or so..

Quote:
well thats very interesting.. my first thought was man i think it might get hot..
but it states its design is about cooling...
obviously requires fan that blows down not sucks up...

Asus still scares me. i have had so many different sets of boards with them that were doa nightmares..

before that (like 5-6 yrs ago) they were my go to company but quality went down hill.
and their laptop support/warranty is better than anyone. its a shame their laptops dont work for audio. (they used to a few yrs ago)

Scott
ADK
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Scott
ADK
The funny thing is the Asus N71JQ - which I just sold - is actually on the Avid list (of two) compatible Win7 lappies for PT9. Unfortunately, this inclusion conflicts with Avid's statement that you'd better use nVidia video cards - the N71 has an ATI. They also don't tell you PT9 screws with the eSATA speeds. Too bad, cause the warranty is in fact insane - they give you an extra year of accidental damage coverage. So if you spill bong water on it you're covered.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search