The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sandy Bridge Preview tests
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
now to the best part which is going to make me end up eating some of my words i have posted concerning Sandy Bridge. foot in mouth)
That'll teach ya for going off half cocked... LOL

2600 outdoing a 980X you say..., hmmmmm...
Old 31st December 2010
i feel very good about this
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
That'll teach ya for going off half cocked... LOL

2600 outdoing a 980X you say..., hmmmmm...
hehheh dont i always..

in all the yrs doing what we do have you even seen a platform where 1 cpu sucks winds and the other is out of this world??
and i dont mean i3 vs i7 or 980x vs 920
more like 760 vs 870.

Chris should have real #s today. we have been slammed, so its been hard to get to it. when i have to QA laptops you know we are swamped.

Scott
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Actually it really is looking very promising:
Anandtech desktop: The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested
Anandtech mobile: Intel’s Sandy Bridge: Upheaval in the Mobile Landscape

Techreport: Intel's 'Sandy Bridge' Core processors - An all-new microarchitecture astonishes and delights
PC Perspective: Desktop review & http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1058

Something to read while we await Scott's reporting back to us...

Also note that USB3 isn't included in this generation of chipset (6-series) and so it's a fair bet USB3 won't be 'official' until 2012 now.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm still unsure whether or not I should be excited about the potential of Sandy Bridge for DAWs. Someone, please, tell me how to feel...

The initial reports I'd read (which might have been affected by supposed specs - propaganda - from Intel) were VERY positive.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

It's very positive.

SB is around 15-17% faster clock for clock compared to Nehalem/Westmere regarding audio processing.

We (and many others) are using SSE instructions in our products - and after using AVX instruction we can achieve a speedup of 35-50% (hopefully I can get closer to 60-75%)
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

It is in times like these that I'm very greatfull that I registered at GS, where I was recommended to get a Core i7 920 chip by Scott from ADK in December 2008..

The 920 is still kickin'on strong! Beam me up Scotty!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

And now we've passed Dec. 2010 and Intel releases middle of the market cpu's where the upper sku's are just edging out the 920 on anything not memory bandwidth hungry...not a bad investment I'd say (for the 920 in 2008 or the new sandy bridge...)

I have debated whether this is the first time I'll buy into a primary workstation that's not dual cpu socket (I think that's finally unnecessary for most things--video still hits me hard) but certainly I'm going to add another laptop to my arsenal this year. Just curious to see what nvidia+intel cook up now that they're making up (dynamically switch between cpugpu & nvgpu?) On the graphics front I've been curious if there's a way to leverage the internal gpu into action as a 'primary' gpu and then leverage outboard power for heavy crunching duties that can be spun off easily in parallel...but that's not relevant to most audio users (Nebula3...) AVX does look promising too.

Only question that remains for me otherwise (relevant to audio) is how the turbo/power saving features affect DAW performance scaling on Win7 & OSX.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

What about the basic question of how well the new technology shakes out right away, whether it has unknown gotchas, and whether finnicky programs like PT9 will be freaked out by it or not?

That said, I've never been more tempted to be an early adopter, something I've spent a lifetime avoiding. . . Way lower cost of entry and lower power consumption will do that to a guy . . .
Old 3rd January 2011
D K
Lives for gear

Oh boy..here we go..

Scott will be building me a new daw this year and this thread is definitely on must see t.v. !!

by the way - still running the Q6600 he built for me 4 years ago and it is a beast..still
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Just read the reviews on the TomsHardware and Anandtech. Damn, looks like SandyBridge is a significant step up from 1st gen i7 in terms of perfomances. I hope that will go for audio production work too. Waiting for Scott's results.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
It's very positive.
That's what I wanted to hear!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

well here they are....

bear in mind a 2300 performs only as good as a 750. we think the turbo is the culprit. the 2600 is vastly better.

Intel Core i7 2600

3.4ghz (tubo enabled and can watch it go up to almost 3.9GHz)

Integrated Intel graphics

HDSP MADI pci-e

cubase 5 32 bit 5.52

DAWbench-DSP-C5-RXC

256- 211

128- 202

64- 191

32 - 164

for comparison

920 @ 32 buffer 130
980x @ 32 buffer 201
980x oced to 4ghz (about what the turbo is doing) 270

so whilst not keeping up with the 980x/970 it is beating a 950/960 and about on par with a 975
and OCed 950 to 3.4GHz would beat it as well.

also bear in mind the memory bandwidth is only 17GB/S vs 27GB/s for an X58 platform.

full comparison here:
Benchmarks for Pro Audio!

Scott
ADK
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for these Scott.
rsp
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

@Scott : Im not sure how you're comparing the different systems. According to your numbers the i7-870 (@2.93GHz) is faster than the i7 2600K[@3.4GHz). This is very far away from what I get on my system. Something else is bandlimited on your system.

Why don't you use a discrete GPU on the i7 2600 rig? The HD3000 is using the L3 cache.

How fast is your DDR3 ram on the i7-870 compared to the i7-2600? I assume that HD/SSD/Raid setup is identical on your comparisons.

EDIT : Ah - I was not looking at your i7-870, but your 2*X5550 - explains alot. But the questions are still valid.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

you are not reading it right..

2600 32 buffer 164
870 32 buffer 120
920 32 buffer 130

onboard video just to see.. we are not expecting much a difference from using a video card

also an FYI the board we used to validate is a lesser priced board than i originally tested where i got 228 @ 128 buffer with the 2600 vs this one with 202.
(different bios setting for turbo modes)

edit for your edit: :-)

when we did all these older tests the ram speed was 1600 CL 8 (or DDr2 800 on even older etc)
now all the 1156 are locked @ 1333 unless OCing or using the 875k (thanks intel)
sandy bridge is also locked @ 1333 "" "" "" 2600k.

all other hardware would be the same yes. no ssd/raid nonsense single standard HDD (Seagate 500)
rme Madi used to test (laptops we use Fireface 800)
obviously we follow the scientific method as much as possible.
some of the older benchmarks were done with XP.

Scott
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Interesting, how's the TDP and estimated price of 2600?

Right now I have 920 (on default settings) and it is great, however I wish I had a quieter cooler.
I wonder whether 2600 have lower TDP which would allow to have generally quieter system.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Interesting, how's the TDP and estimated price of 2600?

Right now I have 920 (on default settings) and it is great, however I wish I had a quieter cooler.
I wonder whether 2600 have lower TDP which would allow to have generally quieter system.
I'm sure you could quiet that for much lower cost, though there's no harm in getting a response to your question either.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac
So maybe its too early to ask this question then, but what advice would you guys have for the prospective DAW builder? I am nearing my goal of approx $1200 for a planned i7 950 build, and I know others are in the same boat and probably wondering the same thing.

Im relatively new to PC building, so am I correct in that the new Sandy Bridge processors will be housed on entirely different motherboards than the i7 950s, due to a different pin layout?

If thats the case I would hope to be able to somewhat "futureproof" my build with a SB motherboard in the event that I want to upgrade the processor down the road, assuming something comes out in late 2011 that makes it worthwhile.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

X58 chipset that is used for that cpu (i7 950) and offers more memory bandwidth & PCIe lanes than Sandy Bridge, but if you don't need that it seems sandy bridge's current 2600K quads are competitive with the 950 in some cases already. Hopefully Intel isn't going to change sockets every cpu generation and this has some upgrade potential as well (and boards should eventually be validated for ddr3-1600 I hope?)

Replacement for x58 (x68 iirc?) is coming this fall afaik...along with the high end sandy bridge single socket cpu's & Xeons based on the same cpu's. (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't read the roadmaps in a few months.) I may hold out for that on the desktop (running 2008 era xeon machines that still work fine for audio.)
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

thumbsupThanks Scott!
Very useful info!

Keep us posted
Old 5th January 2011
from "legit reviews" (lol ) some benchmarks of the mobile quadcore i7-2820QM (sandy bridge):

Intel Core i7-2820QM - Sandy Bridge For Notebook PCs - Intel Sandy Bridge Comes to Laptops! - Legit Reviews

lots of charts and numbers tho they're not all applicable to daw/music. like usual in this kind of review new processor "a" totally pwns old processor "b" at everything. 4 cores, hyper threading and a useful turbo mode plus 8g ram and an ssd now it could potentially be face-melting !!1 here's an abridged version of their conclusion:

Quote:
The Intel Core i7-2820QM Sandy Bridge processor is by far the most impressive mobile processor that we have ever seen ... will surely take performance to the next level for mobile users. If ... u are getting tired of waiting on your notebook to do a CPU intensive task then you might want to take a look at one of these processors.

The best experience we had with this notebook had to be when we ran Cyberlink MediaEspresso and saw such a dramatic drop in conversion times ... We were also amazed to see CPU usage during Blu-ray playback being so low ... The Intel Sandy Bridge processor with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 architecture has shown how far we have come in a few short years.

When it comes to pricing we were told that a platform like this would cost around $1999 ... but we are fairly certain that it will not be identical to this one since this is an early production sample ... For now it looks like Intel Sandy Bridge based mobile platforms are going to dominate the mainstream and high-end notebook market for well into 2011 ... Sandy Bridge is an insane processor and is going to change the way many people look at discrete graphics.

Legit Bottom Line: The Intel Core i7-2820QM processor is fast in CPU and GPU benchmarks and might just prove that discrete GPUs are no longer a must-have feature in notebooks!
*edit: here's another i7-2820QM benchmark & review from pc perspective: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1058
Old 5th January 2011
Hi SCOTT - have you got any further in the i7 2600k SB testing?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwar View Post
from "legit reviews" (lol ) some benchmarks of the mobile quadcore i7-2820QM (sandy bridge):

Intel Core i7-2820QM - Sandy Bridge For Notebook PCs - Intel Sandy Bridge Comes to Laptops! - Legit Reviews

lots of charts and numbers tho they're not all applicable to daw/music. like usual in this kind of review new processor "a" totally pwns old processor "b" at everything. 4 cores, hyper threading and a useful turbo mode plus 8g ram and an ssd now it could potentially be face-melting !!1 here's an abridged version of their conclusion:

*edit: here's another i7-2820QM benchmark & review from pc perspective: PC Perspective - Intel Core i7-2820QM Mobile Sandy Bridge Performance Review

the issue with up coming Sandy Bridge laptops
no firewire or crap firewire that wont work for audio
NO express slot
so basically usb interface or nothing...

yippy looks like i am done selling laptops.

Scott
ADK
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
the issue with up coming Sandy Bridge laptops
no firewire or crap firewire that wont work for audio
NO express slot
so basically usb interface or nothing...

yippy looks like i am done selling laptops.

Scott
ADK
rly? doesn't sound good for macbook pros ..
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

MBP i am sure will still have firewire but who knows about the Express slot.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
also an FYI the board we used to validate is a lesser priced board than i originally tested where i got 228 @ 128 buffer with the 2600 vs this one with 202.(different bios setting for turbo modes)
That's a performance increase of 13% by changing board?! What board are you using? (Obviuosly a H67 board)

Im using the Asus P8P67 Deluxe - I'll try to get some numbers tomorrow. Im only able to test with Win 7 SP1, otherwise I can't get AVX working.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

we have several boards in house right now with more coming in the next few days.. just fried one yesterday the h67 that was nearly completely validated..
how in the world did you get a sandy bridge?

32 buffer is where the rubber meets the road anyway.. i didint put much into the differences @ 128.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
MBP i am sure will still have firewire but who knows about the Express slot.
do you foresee problems with SB mbp's and firewire interfaces such as duet?
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

interesting ... sounds a bit hypy

Quote:
LAS VEGAS, CES 2011 — Intel gave a detailed look at its next-generation Sandy Bridge chips that will likely make their way into Macs in 2011.

The chips boast four cores and integrated graphics processors that improve image-processing performance and power-management, according to Intel.

The new chips are up to 800% faster than the current generation Core Duo chips used in most of the MacBook line today. The chips are 60% faster than high-end i7 chips used in top-of-the-line iMacs and Mac Pros.
Intel Shows Off Speedy New Sandy Bridge Chips Destined For Next-Gen Macs [CES 2011] | Cult of Mac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search