The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Nucleus vs Audient ASP2802
Old 25th December 2010
Deleted #157546

I've been a SSL fan for years and have been looking at the Nucleus for the center of my project studio. I've been trying to justify the purchase despite the many cons for what "I" need in my studio.

Then I stumbled upon the Audient ASP2802 and was blown away with all the features/flexibility for around the same price as the Nucleus. (Bus compression, summing, mics pres, sends, more than one control room speaker send, etc...)

There are some things I like about the Nuclues over the Audient (scribble strip, more faders), but over all the Audient is what I'm looking at now.

Anyway feel this way?

Am I out of line?
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

No, You're not alone !

I'm having to make the exact same decision.

The Audient offers analog summing feature which the SSL does not. So I'm kind of trying to figure out how big of a difference would using the Audient's analog summing features make to my sound production, and how good are the controller functions in the ASP2802. The SSL Nucleus, offers a good wealth of features, twice as many faders, but no analog summing, it has 2 mic/line pres.

So... it's not a very easy decision to choose one of the two. But eventually, I will have to choose one.

I think I need to do a bit more research, and try to see which one will really make the biggest impact on the way I work, and what I really need, flexibility, features, ease of set-up and use, built quality, ...etc.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

My ASP2802 is on order. I should have gotten it last week but the extreme wheather over here delayed it. Anyhow, I'll report once I got it but I think the ASP is more like a smaller format Matrix with a better feature set (Mic pres, Bus Compressor etc). Once I read the manual of that little console I was sold on it. It's really impressive how many important and cool features Audient put into it. And the Audient customer support is top notch. I'd go for the ASP unless you absolutely want 16 Faders. The price-performance ratio is pretty much unbeatable.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock View Post
My ASP2802 is on order. I should have gotten it last week but the extreme wheather over here delayed it. Anyhow, I'll report once I got it but I think the ASP is more like a smaller format Matrix with a better feature set (Mic pres, Bus Compressor etc). Once I read the manual of that little console I was sold on it. It's really impressive how many important and cool features Audient put into it. And the Audient customer support is top notch. I'd go for the ASP unless you absolutely want 16 Faders. The price-performance ratio is pretty much unbeatable.
Thanks for the feedback. and Congratulations on your new ASP2802

I share your view, and feel that the ASP2802 has more to offer than the SSL Nuecleus, in terms of functionality, 8 faders are good enough, I don't need 16.

it would be interesting, and helpful to read your feedback after you have received your ASP, and had some working experience with it.

Meanwhile, stay warm, and Have a Great Holiday Season, and Happy New Year !
Old 25th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
No, You're not alone !

I'm having to make the exact same decision.

The Audient offers analog summing feature which the SSL does not. So I'm kind of trying to figure out how big of a difference would using the Audient's analog summing features make to my sound production, and how good are the controller functions in the ASP2802. The SSL Nucleus, offers a good wealth of features, twice as many faders, but no analog summing, it has 2 mic/line pres.

So... it's not a very easy decision to choose one of the two. But eventually, I will have to choose one.

I think I need to do a bit more research, and try to see which one will really make the biggest impact on the way I work, and what I really need, flexibility, features, ease of set-up and use, built quality, ...etc.
I don't really care about the analogness of the console us much as the DAW functionality. I think the summing is a huge plus over an already great controller. Plus it offers a master section which is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. And then to top it off it offers a buss compressor....same as zen...? Heck Yes!!

The 4 things the Nuclues has over the ASP for me is: more faders...don't care, scribble strip....don't care, duende native....don't care I run HD3, and "the name"...don't care.
Old 25th December 2010
Both the Nucleus and Audient have their place and it really depends on what kind of work flow you want. If you have a lot of tracks on a song, having the Nucleus with 16 faders, scribble strips, solo, mute, transport, pan, and customized buttons, with some mic pre's, you are really rocking. Work flow with your DAW will be fast and easy. The Audient has limited basic DAW controls, only 8 channels and no scribble strips. No thank you!

Now just hold on there for a moment. The Audient has 32 inputs to mix down, professional monitoring, talkback (which the Nucleus lacks), 2 Aux sends, 8 input channels, and enough DAW control to satisfy with transport controls, jog wheel, faders, cycle, marker, nudge and scrub, the seven select-mode buttons, but above these are four programmable function keys, and above those is a pair of page left and right buttons that accesses additional control parameters for the function currently assigned to the rotary encoders. A great review on the Audient is in SOS's Dec 2010 issue. Product Review - Audient ASP2802
Old 25th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Both the Nucleus and Audient have their place and it really depends on what kind of work flow you want. If you have a lot of tracks on a song, having the Nucleus with 16 faders, scribble strips, solo, mute, transport, pan, and customized buttons, with some mic pre's, you are really rocking. Work flow with your DAW will be fast and easy. The Audient has limited basic DAW controls, only 8 channels and no scribble strips. No thank you!

Now just hold on there for a moment. The Audient has 32 inputs to mix down, professional monitoring, talkback (which the Nucleus lacks), 2 Aux sends, 8 input channels, and enough DAW control to satisfy with transport controls, jog wheel, faders, cycle, marker, nudge and scrub, the seven select-mode buttons, but above these are four programmable function keys, and above those is a pair of page left and right buttons that accesses additional control parameters for the function currently assigned to the rotary encoders. A great review on the Audient is in SOS's Dec 2010 issue. Product Review - Audient ASP2802
Isn't the Audient only 28 channels on mixdown??

ASP2802 - Audient

But anyway, I feel like the Audient has pretty much the same DAW control as all the other surfaces...besides Avid ofcourse...and though it doesn't offer scribble strips, it has something that will suffice instead.

At least for me...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I personally would go with the Nucleus. Yes the Audient is very nice too. However I find the mixer's in many DAW's to be more powerful than many hardware mixers. Cubase 5 for instance offers you as many group channels as you need. Then with the Control Room, you can set up headphone mixes, inserts for external inputs talkback channel, monitor inserts, etc. All you need is a good controller to work with it. The Nucleus seems to offer the best alternative for this ITB setup while still allowing you to route hardware gear into your DAW to remove that sterile sound you can get ITB and add character.

However there are many good points about the Audient like the summing out, that can be very nice. It really comes down to what work flow works best for you studio.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post

it would be interesting, and helpful to read your feedback after you have received your ASP, and had some working experience with it.

Meanwhile, stay warm, and Have a Great Holiday Season, and Happy New Year !
yes, please let us know thoughts
Old 26th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I personally would go with the Nucleus. Yes the Audient is very nice too. However I find the mixer's in many DAW's to be more powerful than many hardware mixers. Cubase 5 for instance offers you as many group channels as you need. Then with the Control Room, you can set up headphone mixes, inserts for external inputs talkback channel, monitor inserts, etc. All you need is a good controller to work with it. The Nucleus seems to offer the best alternative for this ITB setup while still allowing you to route hardware gear into your DAW to remove that sterile sound you can get ITB and add character.

However there are many good points about the Audient like the summing out, that can be very nice. It really comes down to what work flow works best for you studio.
Could you please elaborate on this please? Since the Nuclues is JUST a controller...minus the pres and very small monitoring section...I don't get how the Nucleus would make my mixes less sterile.

Thanks!!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
Could you please elaborate on this please? Since the Nuclues is JUST a controller...minus the pres and very small monitoring section...I don't get how the Nucleus would make my mixes less sterile.

Thanks!!
It's not nucleus that makes your mixes less sterile. But if you route your tracks in your Daw through hardware gear (routing a drum bus for example through a nice hardware comp/and or Eq and routing back again into your Daw) will help you get a more analog sound. Cubase even allows hardware effects can be added a's an insert on a track as well. After freezing the track you can use the same hardware gear on other tracks. The Daw mixer is more powerful than any hardware mixer since there are endless routing, tracks, and multiple group tracks you can make.
Old 26th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
It's not nucleus that makes your mixes less sterile. But if you route your tracks in your Daw through hardware gear (routing a drum bus for example through a nice hardware comp/and or Eq and routing back again into your Daw) will help you get a more analog sound. Cubase even allows hardware effects can be added a's an insert on a track as well. After freezing the track you can use the same hardware gear on other tracks. The Daw mixer is more powerful than any hardware mixer since there are endless routing, tracks, and multiple group tracks you can make.

Ok, I've been doing that with my mouse and keyboard for a while now through my 192's.

Maybe I am missing the point.
Old 26th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:

The ASP will actually let you route an insert through the desk during tracking or mixdown.

I think the ASP is on top for that feature.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The ASP will actually let you route an insert through the desk during tracking or mixdown.

I think the ASP is on top for that feature.
Yes the ASP can do that, but you can route through your DAW as well. Though I agree it's more satisfying in using a hardware unit instead.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World

Can't what you are saying about sending cubase track through an analog unit etc and printing it back into cubase be achieved with any hardware ad/da such as Burl or rme?i use cubase and am contemplating getting a good ad/da for this purpose but not sure if I understand the great advantage of nucleus over a good ad/da for this job.....also what is the ad/da like is the nucleus compared to say a Burl or cranesong? Thx
Old 26th December 2010
SSL has it's own league, apart this specific product, but Audient is close or maybe in the same league as well.
Old 26th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by i604 View Post
SSL has it's own league, apart this specific product, but Audient is close or maybe in the same league as well.

Yeah, it's not really an SSL vs Audient debate. I think SSL blows Audient out of the water for highend gear starting with the AWS on up.

However, I think Audient is on to something with the middle market.

I feel SSL hasn't really found how to make a middle market product without making it "one-legged" in my opinion.

The Zen is one example...blows the Matrix out of the water. (On the analog side of things.)

If Audient makes the Zen or ASP8024 with DAW control added, I think they will be the front runners in that middle market.

That's how I feel about it at least.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I wouldn't pay $5,000 plus for either one. You could get a euphonix controller and a choice of excellent summing boxes for that price.
Old 26th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
I wouldn't pay $5,000 plus for either one. You could get a euphonix controller and a choice of excellent summing boxes for that price.

At least with the Audient you get 8 pres and a buss compressor....and the ability to use it with a Windows computer.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
At least with the Audient you get 8 pres and a buss compressor....and the ability to use it with a Windows computer.
if the buss compressor and the pres sound like past versions, i'll will definitely pass. the buss comp in their summing box was unusable for me. i don't mind paying a premium for quality pieces but it has to make sense. IMHO, neither of these boxes make sense for those prices. the level of control within these controllers would have me using the mouse more than the controller. Been there, done that, except w/ Icon. Monitor sections look decent except no talkback on ssl (but there r ways around that). uninspiring mic pre's are not a selling point for me.

these will work for many, but as I said, I wouldn't pay $5k+ for either of these boxes.
Old 27th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
if the buss compressor and the pres sound like past versions, i'll will definitely pass. the buss comp in their summing box was unusable for me.

Interesting, this is the first I've heard of the buss comp and pres being unusable. Everything else has been rave reviews. Not saying that the pres and comp are revolutionary or the best thing on the market, but far above unusable.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

I picked up my console yesterday and I am right now wiring everything to the patchbays...don't we all love that! First impression of the console is awesome. Really well built and great feel to it! I'll keep you up to date once I worked a little more on it...
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Nucleus vs Audient ASP2802-imageuploadedbygearslutz.jpg  
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I don't understand such threads, the nucleus is a CONTROLLER, with added i/o stuff and the 2802 is a little console with added daw control.

It just depends on your needs.
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted #157546
The point is....The 2802 does pretty much everything the Nucleus does and is the same price point.

I started the thread to uncover the pros and cons of both devices since they are practically the same thing for the same price.

What's not to understand?
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
I picked up my console yesterday and I am right now wiring everything to the patchbays...don't we all love that! First impression of the console is awesome. Really well built and great feel to it! I'll keep you up to date once I worked a little more on it...
Nice!! Please keep me posted!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The point is....The 2802 does pretty much everything the Nucleus does...

If you say so.
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post

If you say so.

Or you could contribute to the discussion?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update? I am interested as well. We all have general opinions on gear work flow but unless we really try it out the Audient and Nuc. our insight is very limited. By the way I have some of Audients Black series pre's , Eq and comp and they are great high end gear with their own personality.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

Ok, time to report back since I got the console up and running and have been toying with it the last couple of days. Let me first say that the customer support I got from Audient was incredibly good. Steve Flower was helping me a great deal with the Aunet software (I am actually on previously unsupported Mac Os 10.4 on PPC with Pro Tools 7) and I can now enjoy the dual layer concept of the console.
The controller is very cool, works as advertised and just feels very "pro". Great feeling to the encoders, faders and the transport section. It's very well built and very easy going and just really good.
The Monitor Section is plain incredible. There's nothing left to be desired.Period. I have been coming from a Trident 65 and the Audient monitor section blows it out of the water! Want to listen in mono on one speaker. No prob. Want to listen to only the side-signals of your mix - no prob. How does it sound on the NS10 - no prob. Quick comparision with a Mix you got on your iphone - no prob. Take a listen to the artist cue in the control room - no prob. etc.etc.etc. Absolutely stunning! Another really cool feature is Solo In Front. Once you layed out your STEMS from the DAW onto the analog side of the console you can use this feature. It's really cool to take a listen to the bass guitar in solo with a little bit of the mix in the background. Makes getting EQ and Compression right a breeze.
Now the dual layer thing is so inspiring. You have set your stems to the Analog Side of the console, switch to DAW mode, get the balances right between let's say a couple of layered guitars, go back to analog side of the desk, patch in your fave comp and automate the guitar bus as you wish - without affecting outboard compression! It's really inspiring and cool to work like that. Parallel compression is very easy with the console. Use the onboard comp (which is very nice on your Drumbus!) or use the Direct Out of a channel, into your fave comp and get it back on the Alternate input and blend to taste - inspiring!
Soundquality of the console is awesome too. It's incredibly quiet. Nice width when summing. Nothing to complain.
Mic pres seem really good too from my first couple of tests but I haven't track with it yet - so I'll report back next week on that aspect of the desk. But I plugged in a MD441 and compared to my other pres and on a single source it has a wonderful, clean but not boring-clean sound. Very broadcast quality like.
Honestly, I am thinking the whole time that there must be a flaw with the console for this price - but I can't find one. I am really, really happy with it and feel my mixing and tracking with this console will improve alot since the workflow is just really nice and feels so natural. I will definitely incorporate alot more outboard to my mixes again, which makes me a happy boy!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

@ Markus,

Thank You Very Much for the positive feedback on your experience with the new Audient 2802 console. I find your review extremely helpful, and encouraging. Congratulations, and Enjoy

I'm surely adding the Audient ASP 2802 to my project studio, it will be a center piece. heh

I can't think of a better option for my needs. and reading your your initial experience with the ASP 2802 made me completely convinced, and confident to go forward with the ASP 2802.

Cheers,

Muziksculp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search