The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Nucleus vs Audient ASP2802
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

Hi muziksculp,

I am confident you will love the workflow and sound of the ASP2802 just as much as I do. I came from a much bigger analog desk and the routing and possibilities with the ASP2802 are simply superior! It's really straightforward to work with it since it's all very logical.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Nut

just a little bit off topic.

in theory , the installation process looks easy. just copy 2 small app tools and install one Midi app. i have been fighting with Nucleus installation 4 hours - no success.

the main tools like Nucleus Remote & Nucleus USB Control Panel apps not starting. be prepared for Java Runtime Env. problems. some known Java bugs on 10.6...?

the installation guide is really confusing. network, ethernet automatically connection gives different IP then SSL points in the manual. and so on...

the new thing finally landed in the box. waiting for the support but no fun during the weekend :(
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I hope you get it running soon. I am thinking of picking a Nucleus up later this year.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Nut

it's definitely not plug and play stuff and i'm not a computer newbie...
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

SSL Nucleus vs Audient ASP2802

Isn't the biggest difference here that the 2802 has automated analog faders and the Nucleus does not?

This means you can automate levels in the analog domain, which is important when using outboard gear during mixing, especially inserted comps on individual tracks, etc....
Old 2nd March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
just a little bit off topic.

in theory , the installation process looks easy. just copy 2 small app tools and install one Midi app. i have been fighting with Nucleus installation 4 hours - no success.

the main tools like Nucleus Remote & Nucleus USB Control Panel apps not starting. be prepared for Java Runtime Env. problems. some known Java bugs on 10.6...?

the installation guide is really confusing. network, ethernet automatically connection gives different IP then SSL points in the manual. and so on...

the new thing finally landed in the box. waiting for the support but no fun during the weekend :(
same prob here
how do you get it to work?!
Old 19th March 2011
Gear Head

I'm seriously considering this desk (the Audient) to replace my old TAC, upgrade my monitor section and add controller functionality all in one go.

One thing though: How are the scribble strips working out ergonomically? Only thing that's holding me back is that they're located in a different country then the faders. Don't you end up counting faders to find the right channel?

A small issue to some, but still one that might turn me towards getting a mc mix with a seperate monitor controller and a good buscompressor instead... ( i know, no summing)

cheers
Old 27th March 2011
roc
Lives for gear

How is the DAW control on the Audient , is it as good or better then Nucleus?
Can you call up a plug-in on any channel and then have that plug-in mapped across the knobs like on Nucleus ?
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

I looked at summing mixers, monitor controllers, DAW controllers, and analog automation options for a long time before deciding on the Audient. I run a pretty traditional room with a console and a multitrack, Pro Tools on the side editor style. The Dual Layer Control layout had the synergy between the analog and digital sides I was looking for.
I just re-configured the control room to accommodate the Audient alongside the existing Trident desk, and patched up the master section for some listening tests. It will be a bit of soldering time before every in and out is available on the bay, but the monitoring section alone is impressive.
The scribble strips being to the right of the faders is looking like a non-issue, I wasn't sure about that going in. It's a small console (rackmount) with only 8 channel faders, and the OLED display is easily read without taking your eyes off your hand on the faders. The upper/lower display of the channel names takes more getting used to than the location of the display.
No idea how it compares to the Nucleus other than it's half as big (a plus in my case.) Yes, you can insert a plug-in using the OLED display and the 4 encoders beneath can scroll through all available parameters. Inserting sends is a little cooler because when you press the send button a second time, the send levels come up on the automated faders instead. So the faders can bank between analog level, DAW level, and DAW send levels.
I'm upgrading from OSX Tiger/PT 7.3.1 to Snow Leopard/PT9 currently as well, so lots of testing to be done. If anybody wants some quick iPhone video of one of the Audient's various functions in action, I'll take a crack at it. Everybody loves trying out new toys (see sig line below...)

SSL Nucleus vs Audient ASP2802-asp-installed.jpg
Old 1st April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
I looked at summing mixers, monitor controllers, DAW controllers, and analog automation options for a long time before deciding on the Audient. I run a pretty traditional room with a console and a multitrack, Pro Tools on the side editor style. The Dual Layer Control layout had the synergy between the analog and digital sides I was looking for.
I just re-configured the control room to accommodate the Audient alongside the existing Trident desk, and patched up the master section for some listening tests. It will be a bit of soldering time before every in and out is available on the bay, but the monitoring section alone is impressive.
The scribble strips being to the right of the faders is looking like a non-issue, I wasn't sure about that going in. It's a small console (rackmount) with only 8 channel faders, and the OLED display is easily read without taking your eyes off your hand on the faders. The upper/lower display of the channel names takes more getting used to than the location of the display.
No idea how it compares to the Nucleus other than it's half as big (a plus in my case.) Yes, you can insert a plug-in using the OLED display and the 4 encoders beneath can scroll through all available parameters. Inserting sends is a little cooler because when you press the send button a second time, the send levels come up on the automated faders instead. So the faders can bank between analog level, DAW level, and DAW send levels.
I'm upgrading from OSX Tiger/PT 7.3.1 to Snow Leopard/PT9 currently as well, so lots of testing to be done. If anybody wants some quick iPhone video of one of the Audient's various functions in action, I'll take a crack at it. Everybody loves trying out new toys (see sig line below...)

Attachment 227850
I love to see some footage. I'm really interested in the 2802 because of it's smaller footprint (I don't have a lot of space).
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

I'm hoping to have a solid-state drive delivered today so that I have the weekend to install it as the new system drive, load Snow Leopard, load Pro Tools 9, and get the Audient automation and control surface working with it.
The plan is to shoot some video of the different functions as I run the PT9/2802 combo through their paces.
Looks like I'm installing a collectors item at this point as the 2802 is a Focusrite product as of today...
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like I'm installing a collectors item at this point as the 2802 is a Focusrite product as of today...
Why do you say that?
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

The Focusrite press release says they will be taking over the manufacture and marketing of the 2802. I just want to be the first post on record stating that the original Audient badged 2802s sound much warmer than the later Focusrite built ones...
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Why do you say that?
Audient probably wants Focusrite's sales and distribution channels while Focusrite probably wants access to Audient's audio design prowess and "Dual Layer" IP.
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Ah, I didn't know that. Thought subspace was being rhetorical.
Old 1st April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm hoping to have a solid-state drive delivered today so that I have the weekend to install it as the new system drive, load Snow Leopard, load Pro Tools 9, and get the Audient automation and control surface working with it.
The plan is to shoot some video of the different functions as I run the PT9/2802 combo through their paces.
April fools?
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Really suprised to hear that. However, I couldn't be happier with my Audient 2802. Great sound, great workflow, great everything. Not one flaw!
Hey Subspace, we will be having the thought after, original, warm and full sounding and "made in england" 2802. I can already say now, they slay the Focusrite's in all terms! Ha!
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

We'll see how cheap they can make it in China, huh?
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I got the Intel X-25M 80GB SSD in, installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on it, and finally PT9 yesterday. Nice.
Today I loaded the Audient driver, connected the ethernet cable, and was off to the races with flying faders.
I shot a short iPhone video just after getting the automation working.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tucsonso.../0/NBG9c8-73gI

Last edited by subspace; 4th April 2011 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: link
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

Here you go.

Old 9th April 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you very much for the demo!!!
Old 13th April 2011
roc
Lives for gear

I guess The title of this tread should change to SSL Nucleus vs Focusrite FOC2802 ..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search