The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Testing Macbook limits in advance of session?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Testing Macbook limits in advance of session?

I am going to be doing the first real session with my Macbook and Logic next month, and I'd be interested to make myself aware of my performance limitations ahead of time. So my question is quite simple:

If I just create a bunch of tracks (say 16), and record to them all at the same time... is this an acurate representation of performance I can expect? Does it make a difference if I have one input routed as the source to every track, or if there is no input signal coming in to the tracks?

Basically, I want to make sure I can track 16 tracks at the same time without issue, and see what the latency is going to be like.

Thanks all!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

There really is no problem tracking 16 channels on a Macbook. I often do that on an old G4 Cube...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks Cyrano. I don't really expect any problems, so this is more of a due dilligence thing. And a dry run to make sure I know how to use Logic ahead of time. I'd rather find out about anything I've overlooked now, while I have time to google it and consult the experts around here... rather than in the session when there is no time for mucking about.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's always better to be safe than sorry

Pure tracking doesn't need much CPU power. It's when you want playback and tracking, coupled with some plugins that you need to worry. In that case, you're the only one who can test it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search