The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Build My Recording Studio Single-Channel Preamps
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Help Build My Recording Studio

This may be a very small budget.....but honestly im really just tryna get very basic setup....with clean sounding vocals for hip hop....
Im operating on a relatively old machine so first thing im wondering is
by purchasing an audio interface/sound card....is this going to take care of generally what i need as far as sound or will i have to update the actual sound card thats plugged in thru psi on my motherboard? If I can just obtain a clear vocal sound thru any USB condenser microphone ill purchase that If not im trying to grab everything i need to get basic clear vocal recording going for around $400

Computer Specs:
2.6 Pentium 4 Proc
320 GB HD
Onboard Sound
1 GB G Skill RAM

I was looking to buy this ...but basically my overall question is ...if i were to have basically this same setup....and currently i have only regular old onboard sound.....is it going to work or am I going to have latency issues ...delay...ect...
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

im also buying $100 M Audio monitors from best buy top
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

If it was me I'd go old school for cheap and I'd be happier.
M-audio 24/96 ($40?)
M-audio tube MP preamp ($30?)
sm58 mic or cheap condenser

You can get low enough latency with the 24/96 card.

Onboard sound can be from unuseable to barely useable. And latency.

The pre will make it quieter because you aren't driving any ITB gain to higher levels which is noisy.

I think I have a 24/96 card in the basement if you decide that route.
cheers
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

I might just get the prosonus pack...and a nice soundcard for my motherboard
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

I just noticed i never posted the link
PreSonus 1Box | Sweetwater.com
so im thinking if I get this ...a cheap little pre amp and a cheap 24/96 card i should be alright.....whats everyone think?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Anyone else please?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeAudio View Post
Anyone else please?
There are many options for Mic & Sound card for $400 budget.

Check out MXL Mics, some come with USB which would negate the need for sound card at all.

Presonus makes nice boxes, good sound quality, but there are others like M-audio, TC, Focusrite, etc..

Have fun!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
whats everyone think?
JaeAudio = tryna audio

fitZ=old fart
heh
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitscat View Post
There are many options for Mic & Sound card for $400 budget.

Check out MXL Mics, some come with USB which would negate the need for sound card at all.

Presonus makes nice boxes, good sound quality, but there are others like M-audio, TC, Focusrite, etc..

Have fun!
I mean an actual soundcard....thats plugged into ur PCI slot
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

If you buy that package you won't need an internal soundcard, if you buy one of those usb microphones you'll need a soundcard to listen to your recordings.

How about a 'apogee one' box with a mxl 2003a (which gets a lot of love on this forum)... Think that would be a better vocal chain for just a little bit more.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

so i dont even really need a preamp? just an audio card( interface) and a mic?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
if you're low on budget, get a usb interface with decent mic pres on it and you should be cool for a while.

i believe apogee products are mac only. the focusrite saffire 6 usb will work though you might want to get yourself another GB of ram.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Im making my final decision tomorrow and then im going to order

I think im going to buy
the presonous back....found a good deal online for $219...thats a steal for basic setup.....then im going to buy this prosonous pre amp

PreSonus TubePre Microphone Preamp 1 Channel, with Vu Meter, Non-Facto

Like i said before I have decent monitors now....im probably going to still buy a decent internal sound card... 24/96 card....Im probably going to buy another gig of ram as well.....

anyone appose ?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Found another one but not sure about the mic.... MXL3000?
PreSonus TubePre & MXL3000 Large Diaphragm Condenser KIT270365

If I went with this combo I might try and find a different audio interface for
$100 or maybe like 70-80 if can find a decent one at that price
cmn people help me out....
what should I go with
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

check out the MXL 2003a (About $150 new) - there's a post somewhere around the low end forum where you can hear clips of it and everyone there is raving about the mic. It sounds pretty good.

and a M Audio Profire 610 (About $350 new) - excellent quality conversion and has Octane preamps.

That should get you decent results for $500
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
that presonus tubepre will not be better than the onboard pres on a decent budget interface.

used to own one...but it seems like you're set on what you want. that presonus 1box seems like it suits your needs. If you do get it, I wouldn't waste the cash on that tube pre. good luck.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzit0 View Post
check out the MXL 2003a (About $150 new) - there's a post somewhere around the low end forum where you can hear clips of it and everyone there is raving about the mic. It sounds pretty good.

and a M Audio Profire 610 (About $350 new) - excellent quality conversion and has Octane preamps.

That should get you decent results for $500

Thanks fzito I did some reading up on the mic....by directing me to that page you have got me interested in buying that mic...im not 100% on buying that mic pre...but im considering it also

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search