The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MBP vs Mac pro Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear
Question MBP vs Mac pro

Hey guys, I'm putting together a personal studio. I'll be running more software synths than i used to, specifically, i'd be running:
BFD Drums
Abbey Roads 70's Drums
Omnisphere Synth software
Trillian Bass software
Ivory Italian Grand
Maschine Drums
Vienna String Library Special Edition
Logic 9

I'd like to rely more on Software sounds than hardware right now.
Currently i have a 2008 Mac Book Pro/4Gb Ram.

Do i even stand a chance of running maybe 3 or 4 of these software sources at once? or is it necessary to consider a Mac Pro with the quad core processors.

What computer configuration would you guys recommend taking into account that i want to have a system thats efficient and effective but i don't to spend anymore than i absolutely have to?

Thanks
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I know that laptops have gained a lot of users, mainly because of the processing power you can get now. Now if you're planning on setting your own studio, a desktop still packs more punch. If it's about processing only, the 4 core IMac will do nicely. Now the 6, 8 or 12 core Mac Pro will be a sep higher. Also, you get PCIE and 4 drives with that.
So, if you need just more power and are not thinking of getting some things like a UAD2 or extra memory and more HD drives than IMac should be enough for you. On the other hand if you do think you might need that, just get a Mac Pro. You don't even need to buy the latest model. The 2009 model is great.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
I know that laptops have gained a lot of users, mainly because of the processing power you can get now. Now if you're planning on setting your own studio, a desktop still packs more punch. If it's about processing only, the 4 core IMac will do nicely. Now the 6, 8 or 12 core Mac Pro will be a sep higher. Also, you get PCIE and 4 drives with that.
So, if you need just more power and are not thinking of getting some things like a UAD2 or extra memory and more HD drives than IMac should be enough for you. On the other hand if you do think you might need that, just get a Mac Pro. You don't even need to buy the latest model. The 2009 model is great.
So do you think the IMac would enable me to use more synths and plugins than my 2008 Mac Book Pro? Would the 4 core IMac be faster and allow more Ram than the 4GB's in my 2008 Mac Book Pro?

I'm not planning on using UAD or anything like that, i just would like to use several synths and plugins at once with audio and want to configure a reasonable system to acommodate that within a budget.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

You can check geekbench scores of every Mac @ everymac.com
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

from what i recall from reading geekbench scores one of the top end i7 imacs (quads) you will be scoring about x3 the score on the geekbenching.

i will be very interested to see what the next revision of mbp's score at the highest end. my 3 yr old white macbook currently comes in @ 3363
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

now i dont know how geekbench results are made up - but the i7 imac seems to stand up against 8 core mac pros (admittedly older)

Top Geekbench 2 Results (Page 999) : Geekbench Result Browser

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search