The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are the best RAM for Mac Pro? - Early 2008
Old 24th December 2010
What are the best RAM for Mac Pro? - Early 2008

I have 12G in my computer, however I'm having troubles and crashes whenever I turn on my DAWs or even when I turn the computer on. Logic always gives me the message that I don't have enough memory. So I'm looking to buy ram.

Any suggestion for good brand?

Another question: Should I add more rams or should I replace the current?
Old 24th December 2010
If you're not running Logic in 64 bit mode it can't even see more than 3GB of RAM anyway, so the problem is likely elsewhere. Even 12GB is more than enough. Plenty of people run Logic Pro on laptops just fine with 2GB.

I'd consider running the hardware test that comes on your restore CDs first, and see if it flags up anything. An OS and/or Logic Pro reinstall might be a wise idea too if it doesn't trigger anything, but if you're saying that there's problems when the computer is switched on the RAM might be bad - so don't add to it, replace it. You might want to test your DIMMS one at a time to see which one(s) are causing problems...

That said, Crucial and Kingston are both solid brands of RAM... although I doubt that's the problem here.
Old 24th December 2010
Thanks whitecat for your fast response.

Yes, you are right. Sometimes I have this problem when switching the computer on. So it's not related to Logic.
Old 25th December 2010
Hi again,

I ran Apple hardware test and I got a memory error. I rearranged the memory ram and ran the test again. Everything is working well right now. That's strange..

So thanks again whitecat.
Old 27th December 2010
TNM
Lives for gear
Abbas press the L key, make sure you do an extended looping test overnight, not just a single pass.

My hexa mac pro had a faulty motherboard that was picked up in 8 out of ten tests and was recently just replaced with a brand new machine AGAIN.

if the fault was there it is likely it will happen again.

I moved hard drives around, removed, swapped etc thinking my problem was a drive, but techtool gave every sector a clean bill of health on every drive, and then pulling them all out and putting in a drive from my older machine gave me the error again in apple hardware test... just when i was sure i had pinpointed it to specific drive...

so to be safe, run the test, seriously. My new machine with 12gb ram and the same 4 drives ran a 20 hour loop without a hitch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search