The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What the hell am I going to do? Stay on Pro Tools 7.4 forever? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

What the hell am I going to do? Stay on Pro Tools 7.4 forever?

I've got a quad G5 running PT 7 on a 002. I've got nice mics, preamps and outboard gear. It's kind of slow, but it works consistently. Now I'm wondering if the grass is indeed greener on the Pro Tools 9 side. I already have a fast Mac Pro, but can I migrate my sessions or will it be a nightmare? Is it worth it? Will I need new hardware?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The first thing you need to do is move out of New Orleans before the next big hurricane comes and destroys everything. Then seriously consider moving up to PT9 with a nice interface that has great converters.
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Ward Records View Post
I've got a quad G5 running PT 7 on a 002. I've got nice mics, preamps and outboard gear. It's kind of slow, but it works consistently. Now I'm wondering if the grass is indeed greener on the Pro Tools 9 side. I already have a fast Mac Pro, but can I migrate my sessions or will it be a nightmare? Is it worth it? Will I need new hardware?
If you already have a Mac pro, the transition shouldn't take any time at all...You do not need any new hardware either.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

One great thing about Pro Tools has always been the ability to open older sessions. Don't worry about it at all.

Check which OS version you need to run 9! You didn't mention the OS you are on now–that's very important.

You may have to upgrade your OS, and newer software isn't as PPC-friendly. However, I always keep older OS/major software versions on a separate bootable partition somewhere just in case. I did that from 7 to 8 and then from 8 to 9 and never needed it as far as I can recall.

9 is great from 8 and certainly from 7. The price right; go for it.

You'll have to upgrade the computer hardware one day anyway, so you may as well keep up on upgrades if you can so it doesn't hit you all at once.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
One great thing about Pro Tools has always been the ability to open older sessions. Don't worry about it at all.

Check which OS version you need to run 9! You didn't mention the OS you are on now–that's very important.

You may have to upgrade your OS, and newer software isn't as PPC-friendly. However, I always keep older OS/major software versions on a separate bootable partition somewhere just in case. I did that from 7 to 8 and then from 8 to 9 and never needed it as far as I can recall.

9 is great from 8 and certainly from 7. The price right; go for it.

You'll have to upgrade the computer hardware one day anyway, so you may as well keep up on upgrades if you can so it doesn't hit you all at once.

what about the plug ins and plugin settings? i have a lot of "3rd party" plugins on my sessions. Let's say I did migrate, I'd have to buy that iLok bull****, lose a USB port and possibly have to reprogram all my settings?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

For PT9, you also must have Windows 7. Also, if you do that and have any waves plugins, you're gonna have to download waves shell 7, which isn't free if your WUP isn't current.

If you're already runnin windows 7, upgrading to PT9 is a no-brainer. All your settings for plugins are kept in root folders that have nothin to do with pro tools unless it's runnin'.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you want to stay on Mac, you'll need a new computer. PT9 needs Snow Leopard, which won't run on a G5. And PT9 software itself is only supported on Intel processors.

As for the Ilok, just get a powered usb hub. Works great. I use my powered hub for my Axiom midi keyboard, Iloks, and printers.

Also, the nice thing about PT9 is that it will run with virtually any interface out there, so the sky's the limit. Though it will also work fine with your 002 if you decide to keep that.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

OK. About WUP... I'll be honest- I don't know **** about iLok cause I've always sort of obtained mine... not cause i'm baroque but because these assholes want to make me broke. (where do they get off charging so much?) anyways, now that i've got a little money i'm gonna try to go strait- I still don't have a lot of money, and i'm trying to figure out my best angle here.

Waves says they do 50% off for students, but what's the catch? Is it a crippled version or something? Everyone knows a college kid, whats stopping them from giving them the money and buying it for them? How exactly does that work?

Then there's this dude on Craigslist that has Waves Diamond on an iLok key for $1,500 ... I shot him an email and he hit me back and said it's the old v5, but for $200 I can upgrade to the newest version. i dunno if there's any truth to that.

I totally thought I was slick but now that the run has come to an end, this bundle is part of how I record... This is going to totally interfere with my session with Lady Gaga next week. Does anyone know if that [email protected] thing will work on pt 9 demos? (i totally shouldn't have asked that )

If I have to fork over $2,400 to Waves then Avid is definitely NOT getting my $600. I hope they know that.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you want to stay on Mac, you'll need a new computer. PT9 needs Snow Leopard, which won't run on a G5. And PT9 software itself is only supported on Intel processors.

As for the Ilok, just get a powered usb hub. Works great. I use my powered hub for my Axiom midi keyboard, Iloks, and printers.

Also, the nice thing about PT9 is that it will run with virtually any interface out there, so the sky's the limit. Though it will also work fine with your 002 if you decide to keep that.
I've got the Mac Pro with Snow Leopard. I just need to get strait with my plugs...
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK. About WUP... I'll be honest- I don't know **** about iLok cause I've always sort of obtained mine... not cause i'm baroque but because these assholes want to make me broke. (where do they get off charging so much?)

.....Does anyone know if that [email protected] thing will work on pt 9 demos? (i totally shouldn't have asked that )

So you stole them then? Really, really not a good idea to be talking about this kinda thing round here mate -- check the forum rules.
Old 16th January 2011
Quote:
OK. About WUP... I'll be honest- I don't know **** about iLok cause I've always sort of obtained mine... not cause i'm baroque but because these assholes want to make me broke. (where do they get off charging so much?) anyways, now that i've got a little money i'm gonna try to go strait- I still don't have a lot of money, and i'm trying to figure out my best angle here.

Waves says they do 50% off for students, but what's the catch? Is it a crippled version or something? Everyone knows a college kid, whats stopping them from giving them the money and buying it for them? How exactly does that work?

Then there's this dude on Craigslist that has Waves Diamond on an iLok key for $1,500 ... I shot him an email and he hit me back and said it's the old v5, but for $200 I can upgrade to the newest version. i dunno if there's any truth to that.

I totally thought I was slick but now that the run has come to an end, this bundle is part of how I record... This is going to totally interfere with my session with Lady Gaga next week. Does anyone know if that [email protected] thing will work on pt 9 demos? (i totally shouldn't have asked that )

If I have to fork over $2,400 to Waves then Avid is definitely NOT getting my $600. I hope they know that.
you didn't "sort of obtain" your software - you stole it. The reason the "assholes" charge so much is because those of us who purchase their software are paying to support people like you who don't.

If you can't be bothered to pay for your software, why should anyone help you? Stay on Pt7.4 - I seriously doubt anyone who pays for their software cares.

I just don't understand why you feel so outraged that you should have to pay the $2.4k you should have paid ages ago so you can upgrade. That's the problem with using cracks in a pro setting - sooner or later there's a forced upgrade and you get shafted. This is what some might consider "just deserts", and I for one feel little pity for you.

The other option of course is to ditch all the cracks, buy software from a cheaper manufacturer and go from there. You can totally live without Waves software - they're only one manufacturer after all.
Old 17th January 2011
Quote:

I doubt you'll get much work after this thread; You are representing '9th Ward Records'. This board is where us assholes who want to make you broke actually converse with consumers and other developers.
As I'm sure you'll find; Piracy is indeed killing the music industry as well as the software industry.

I highly doubt Lady Gaga is going to come anywhere near your joint if you're running 7.4. I would almost think you were a troll if you were not so foolish to state that you pirate software.

According to your MySpace, you've worked with everybody from 'Garth Brooks to Dr. Dre to Bruce Springsteen to Madonna to Stevie Wonder to James Horner to Joni Mitchell to Wynton Marsalis to Beck', yet a part of me cannot believe that any of these people would go to a no name studio without a website and with a half assed MySpace, let alone their labels actually set them up with a session there. You seem as if you're in deluded la la land.
I actually did some research on the personnel and location lists for Bruce Springsteen and Dr. Dre and couldn't find anything about 9th Ward Records.

How much do successful studios earn? Thousands and thousands per year. A $2,500 piece of software is cheap. You may not think that is cheap because you don't actually run a successful studio or work with any of those people. That's fine; Aim a little lower and buy from the smaller developers aimed at the hobbyist market.

How much do mechanics pay for all of their tools? Thousands on a regular basis, but their job pays for it. Nobody is aiming to make you broke, everybody has to earn a living somehow as software doesn't just write itself.

And to everybody else; I realise that a lot of people pirate music, movies, software and whatnot, this is inevitable and probably always will be, but if you're earning a living from other people's software, seriously, pay for it or buy from a lesser known developer; They probably need the money more than the bigger corporations, though when you can, buy the best there is as far as your funds will allow you.

I also did some research on you; You are taking the Michael when you post this trash on the Avid forums when you are pirating their software; I hope you're ashamed. Also, after posting your name and address on the Avid forums, if I were you, I would shut up shop and run to the hills.

Quote:
STAY AT THE STUDIO!
Nothing makes a better souvenir than a CD of your recordings. Weekly rates start as low as $1,000 w/ included housing/accommodations. Contact us ahead of time for reservations:

Ninth Ward Records
2471 Burgundy
New Orleans,LA 70117
[email protected]

=================
Nine Inch Nails
Dr. Dre
Six Pence None The Richer
Everclear
Apathy
Any serious studio does not use Gmail addresses or complain about software prices when they're charging $1000 per week.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

what's wrong with gmail? works
Old 18th January 2011
Sure, Gmail works, though I highly doubt anybody associated with any of those artists would be using Gmail addresses. Possibly Gmail as their email client, but not Gmail addresses.

Wasn't a personal jab at anybody other than the topic creator, just a general observation, there is nothing wrong with Gmail. I'd sooner believe those artists used his studio if he actually had a reputable name and something more impressive than a MySpace showcasing everything he had contributed to.
Old 18th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy Havoc View Post
Sure, Gmail works, though I highly doubt anybody associated with any of those artists would be using Gmail addresses. Possibly Gmail as their email client, but not Gmail addresses.

Wasn't a personal jab at anybody in particular, just a general observation. I'd sooner believe those artists used his studio if he actually had a reputable name and something more impressive than a MySpace showcasing everything he had contributed to.
Yes, quite obviously a BSer - can't work out if he's a label, a studio or whatever. Whilst he may have had some involvement in some or all of the projects listed, that doesn't mean he had any significant input - we all know NIN do all of their projects inhouse, so unless the guy was Trent's right hand man, that's a blown-up credit right there. Just because you made a CD copy for someone once, doesn't mean you can list their name on your CV.

You see that all the time..if you've done something significant with an artist, you list what it is. My CV has listed credits wherever possible; occasionally something isn't ever released, so that gets a bit vague, but you can bet if I'd worked on a NIN track I'd be listing what track, what I did and so on.

A vague mention of the name means a) you didn't have anything to do with them b) you've done some sort of unofficial/maybe even official remix, but you didn't actually work with the artist directly or c) you did something very junior on the project. In the end it damages you, because you get called out and it becomes very obvious that it's all a load of hot air.

I could claim massive names that I've assisted or been a runner for, but there's nothing of ME in those projects....I'll keep my CV to the things I actually had a decent level of input on. It can be dangerous if you don't because even if you had eg an assisting credit on a project, some clients can take that big name and run with it - I've seen bands I've work with put (massive band) in brackets after my name, because they know I assisted on a few mixes. I don't want that.
Old 18th January 2011
You're a wise gentleman, psycho_monkey and you speak the truth! Anybody who had something to be proud of would go over every detail or they would at least mention which albums or at least a track title...

It seems he is trying to cover all the bases and just do whatever is offered to him in terms of work.
Anybody willing to pay $1000 per week to use that little in hardware and a pro tool working with an old cracked version of Pro Tools would be a fool.

I thought it a little strange regarding NIN as well, but I think this guy just throws around names and thus keeps a low profile so he doesn't become overly noticed; I noted how his studio address wasn't noted on MySpace, but a quick Google dragged it up. I even thought that maybe his studio was previously owned by somebody else and he was taking credit for their work, which maybe you could pull off if you credited the studio rather than the producer.

Supposedly 'Count Monaco', who I can only assume must be the owner of the 9th Ward Records Gearslutz account, is a 'world famous' record producer. I've never heard of him. Seems he is preying upon the gullible in the local area as I can't find any credits for him on records.

Also found his 'studio equipment list':
Quote:
STUDIO A: DIGI 002 / PRO TOOLS 7.3 /MAC G5 / OS 10.4.11
STUDIO B: MBOX 2 / PRO TOOLS 8 / MACBOOK PRO / LEOPARD / AXIOM 25
Sorry, Count Monaco/9th Ward Records, but a $250 MIDI controller, a Mac and a cracked copy of an old version of Pro Tools doesn't mean you have a studio where Trent Reznor or Bruce Springsteen has been. Maybe they've been there in the lovely high resolution format that is MP3, but certainly not in person.
Remixing some NIN multitracks also doesn't entitle you to put it on your CV and uploading them to remix.nin.com also doesn't entitle you to say you've released music by Nine Inch Nails!

I think all of the artists he mentioned have more gear than that in just toys alone.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

lol -- there's a MUCH easier way to be pretty sure that he hasn't worked with NIN (or anyone else on the list for that matter). --- Have you guys actually listened to the tracks on the myspace? I literally can't work out if "Sorry" is a joke or not, but it just made milk come out my nose (I'm eating cereal, I'm not a mutant). Seriously, check it out, it's genius. He's got an awesome "bad industrial from 1986" vibe going on. I'd imagine the video to "Run Away" would feature a lot of chains and spikes. And fire. And he should totally get Stevie Wonder back in the studio to duet on "Apathy" -- if nothing else, he might help him carry the tune.....

If you're gonna come here and gloat about stealing software mate -- at least give us something moderately decent to listen to..... Granted, you're very, very funny, but I'm not sure that was the intention......

I think we've found the "industrial" Blazen Hazen
Old 18th January 2011
I went from PT 7.3 to PT 9 on a 2008 Mac Pro w/002r. No problems so far (knock on wood!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search