The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording All The Parts. Opinions Please! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Recording All The Parts. Opinions Please!

Just discovered this site. VERY cool. I'd like to get into a lot of stuff, but as a starter, here's an example of a home recording where I played all the parts. Input and suggestions are welcome from all. THANKS!

YouTube - Pipeline Surf Guitar, Surf Bass, Surf Drums
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Nothing? Wrong forum? This was all done on Garage Band and I believe I've learned a few tricks along the way that aren't in the book. But suggestions, comments and critiques are welcome.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Welcome, plangentmusic!

Maybe the subject you chose for the topic is not specific enough to gain interest.

I heard your piece. I like your lead guitar work. Nice job here. The rhythm group sounds boring to me, a bit like a practicing playback. If you played that drums and bass with real instruments, I'd envy you for your precision. But it sounds like MIDI loops with very little handwork, which might work fine in some sort of industrial music but for your style (which I'd call country but I may be wrong) it sounds inappropriate (too little lively) to me.

Just my 50c. I do not claim to be an expert in that kind of music, though.

Cheers, Thomas
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermusik View Post
Welcome, plangentmusic!

Maybe the subject you chose for the topic is not specific enough to gain interest.

I heard your piece. I like your lead guitar work. Nice job here. The rhythm group sounds boring to me, a bit like a practicing playback. If you played that drums and bass with real instruments, I'd envy you for your precision. But it sounds like MIDI loops with very little handwork, which might work fine in some sort of industrial music but for your style (which I'd call country but I may be wrong) it sounds inappropriate (too little lively) to me.

Just my 50c. I do not claim to be an expert in that kind of music, though.

Cheers, Thomas
Okay, I appreciate the input. And yes, I'm playing live bass and drums. In fact drums was my first instrument and bass is now my main instrument!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think there's a lot of potential here. Nice guitar sounds and great ideas on the bass with some interesting movements freeing it up from the traditional role.

My only thought is that the basic timing a groove of the drums with the bass needs to be tighter right from the top. I'd spend more time working on that bass line getting it tighter with the drums and if that means playing a little less freely then so be it - A tighter drum and bass groove will transform your track

Great stuff tho !

Beer.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
I think there's a lot of potential here. Nice guitar sounds and great ideas on the bass with some interesting movements freeing it up from the traditional role.

My only thought is that the basic timing a groove of the drums with the bass needs to be tighter right from the top. I'd spend more time working on that bass line getting it tighter with the drums and if that means playing a little less freely then so be it - A tighter drum and bass groove will transform your track

Great stuff tho !

Beer.
Thanks. I think it's the nature of the beast when recording all the parts that the groove is limited to a set time. (Since everything has to first be put down to a click or drum machine. I do real drums last, but in this case it was drum pads -- which also aren't QUITE the same).

Also, I'm curious to get opinions on sound. I did this entirely on GB and I think I've found a few tricks that I've never seen elsewhere. GB is its own world -- essentially a toy, but you can make it out to be so much more with a few twists and turns.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well... I thought the music sounded pretty good and I agree with the tightness of the Bass and Drums criticism.

Just a thought though, this is where MIDI drums could be a boon for you... since you can play real drums you could create MIDI tracks using the proper electronic drum controllers. There are GREAT drum sample programs out there to use to trigger the drum sounds (BFD2, SD2, etc).

This way, you can have the best of both worlds and use MIDI editing to sync up the bass and drum parts to sound tighter.

Just a suggestion from someone who also plays all the instruments themselves.

Jim
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

There is an energy and vitality that comes from having different people playing the parts, and there is also the fact that few of us are great at all instruments. I've done a lot of that making my own demos, but I feel my limitations in the final version of the demo. Pete Townsend used to record all the parts to make demos from which the band would learn the songs. But when it comes time for a serious recording, I hire in musicians and take advantage of their skills. Just like Pete did!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search