The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon Mx 400 & Logic Space Designer plugins Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Lightbulb Lexicon Mx 400 & Logic Space Designer plugins

Hi there,

Currently looking to up my quality in the Reverb effects world especially for vocals. Currently using Logic Studio 9 and its powerful Space Designer plugin for reverb however Im seriously considering upgrading to something hardware based.

After reading up on the products Im thinking of buying the Lexicon MX400 however what I now wonder is how much better quality is something like this over the built in Logic Space Designer which in itself is a powerful plugin?

Signal chain > Se Electronics Gemini ii (with reflexion filter) > RME Fireface UC > Logic Studio 9

Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

If you're after Lexi algorithms try this instead:
Lexicon LXP Native Bundle on sale!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

How does lexicon stack up against the altiverb
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

altiverb is Impulse Response based, similar to Logic's Spce Designer. While Space Designer while it doesn't have as much control in specific areas that other IR verbs cover (like altiverb) it's got enough to get the job done imo. Ie, if it doesn't cover the same territory as another IR verb then adding more impulses should expand your palette.

On the other hand lexicon & verbs like that use entirely different algorithms much of the time, and so these products supplant certain applications where you want to have specific control over the early/late reflections, room size or plate size or w/e. The pack I listed is similar to the mx400 in that you're getting 'budget' access to the same algorithms from the 'full' products they offer, just less controls overall for the LXP basically. That's not necessarily a bad thing especially when learning and Lexi may even have an upgrade path to the full UI for you later. Basically algorithmic verbs give you access to the sounds of those algorithms, which Impulse based verbs can only sample in 'frozen' states. Similar to using a softsynth versus a sample of it in use...in a way. Ie, it doesn't 'remove' options it just changes them.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lexicon Native is really great. Worth it if you're after industry standard reverbs. That alongside Space Designer should be able to handle most reverb needs you might have.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am a Logic user and so of course have Space Designer as well as Altiverb. Also demoing the LXP Native plugs this week. Been using these exclusively on a tune and I can honestly say they sound so good I could consider selling my Altiverb (I now have two convolution verbs).

Altiverb very powerful with stunning IR's. It is however, processor heavy. These Lexicon plugs however - lite, simple to use and the presets are outstanding. I could use the Lex's to compliment Space Designer and I am all set.
cdlt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search