The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unsigned acts mixing their own music Plugin Bundles
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Unsigned acts mixing their own music

Supposing you're an unsigned artist/producer combo.
You're financially skint, no backing & you're hoping to release as much music for free as possible whilst working the blogs.

Obviously you won't be able to afford a regular mix engineer, and your tracking gear is limited to the pro tools digi 002 box.

Whould any plug ins be required for mixdown or would some kind of software be more usable when looking to get the best mix possible?
Would it be possible to transfer a mix/session from pro tools to fruity loops?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

If you have the 002, then you have pro-tools software. If you have pro-tools software, then you have the plug-ins that came with it. I don't know anyone who would intentionally mix non-electronic music in fruity loops. You are doing demo's, so just make the songs sound as good as you can with the tools you have.. Or, save and hire a mix engineer
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Okay. Thanks. My music is mainly mix of electronic and guitar.
I'm looking to get the best pro mix possible with what I have.
002 is all I really need?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

"the best mix possible" is entirely dependent on your experience level in making the most of those limited tools. how much sleight of hand you and your ears can conjure up. you probably *could* put together a rather pro sounding record if you really know what you are doing. nothing is "required," although there are dozens of tried and true cornerstones to many mix engineers techniques. it is usually non gear specific though. in the end there are only a few mix tools anyway: EQ, compression, distortion, reverb, delay, modulation, and levels.

recording is an uphill battle of years of experience! dont expect it to fall in your lap

you will at least learn an immense amount via this method if this is indeed your first time using protools and a digi 002 to make a record.
Old 23rd December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan123 View Post
Okay. Thanks. My music is mainly mix of electronic and guitar.
I'm looking to get the best pro mix possible with what I have.
002 is all I really need?
i use Logic and except for a little Ozone only use the plugins that came with it .. my understanding is that it is not superior to what you have .. if you have good ideas, a great performance, record them well into your DAW and mix them well.... what could go wrong??
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Use what you have to learn as you go. Make the best tracks and mix you can with what you have. You'll either harness your skill, or not. New gear is not going to make you mix better. Only knowledge of the art and gear, experience and time will help there.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

When learning mixing try everything and question everything. It's only through trial and error that one finds a work flow that best suits their inner sound.

Everyone has an inner sound. important to find out the truth from the lies - it's a process about what sounds good vs what sounds bad. It takes alot of hard work and determination to persist in mixing.

Points to note:

Clarity, Smoothnesss, Warmth, Punch comes from:
The Type of sound (you got to have the right sound to begin with) then EQ and Compression.

3D comes from:
Panning, Volume, AUX Reverb, and Delay, also EQ.

Tools: Waves DIAMOND. Logic Reverbs. Krk V88s, Yamaha HS 80M, apple ipod touch (with black sony bud phones).

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
you need good monitoring, everything else comes with pro tools.

you are the best person to mix your tracks because your the only person who knows how it should sound. if you don't know who to mix then read up on EQ and compression.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search