The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EVERY VSTi I OWN DEFAULTS TOO [email protected]@K'N LOUD!!! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

EVERY VSTi I OWN DEFAULTS TOO [email protected]@K'N LOUD!!!

I've finally had it & have decided to ask my fellow slutz. Why do 99.999% of all VSTi's default to being too loud? Arturia, Wayoutware, FxPansion, Spectrasonics, Refx, LennarDigital, heck even most of Logic's synths default their output way past 7db upon instantiation. Forgive me if I'm ignorant to some simple explanation, but since when did the point of digital distortion become the default output level of patches? It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever? Can somebody please explain why the loudness war has creeped into all of out Vsti's!!!?? Thanks & Merry Christmas you slutz!!!
Old 23rd December 2010
Well at least you kept your cool about it.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

i agree

I don't know why it's like this, either. I wish they'd leave some headroom, but i guess they just normalize everything to 0dbfs or something. I just trim everything -6 in Cubase.

One of the best libraries I've bought, Driven Drums, is awesome because the samples not normalized to 0. We are working in 24bit...so why not leave headroom. Oh....i guess it's for the people still using 16bit. If this is true, then it's just another case of quality being held back by the sheep mentality. You know, just like we are still stuck using 16bit audio CD's because the general public is ignorant regarding audio.

It's sad, really. BlueRay is pretty acceptable in video, but audio is pretty much frozen at 16bit...or lots of times mp3. I want headroom and lossless, uncompressed audio! If these software companies would just turn down their presets and default levels, that would be an improvement for recordists.

seriously, I think there are more people recording in 24bit than 16bit at this point. If these companies are smart enough to design this software, why don't they realize that if they leave us headroom....we can just turn up our speakers?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Can't help you, I don't use "VST's". My plugins are fine though.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Well at least you kept your cool about it.

Hehe, it was supposed to be taken as a joke... But really it is a problem
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

My Way Out Ware TimewARP 2600 is just blisteringly loud when it starts up. I also have not figured out a way to fix it.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Simple: why are commercials louder than the regular programming?
BECAUSE THEY WANT ATTENTION!!!!

And in general, something louder always sounds fuller to our ears because of the regular insensitivity of our ears at low and high frequencies.

I often stick a hard limiter after a VSTi specifically for this reason. I find it very annoying too but it's very similar to what happens in hardware synths: there are often wide variations in patch volume. There's just no standards.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Well thats just poopy... Distortion off the bat. MIDI Vel >40dfegad
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I know it sounds crazy but in the DAW i use you can actually adjust the volumes on each track. Killer feature,i wish all DAWs were like that.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I also find this extremely annoying. They default to ear splitting volume and it clips my master and it's just plain annoying, forever have to turn it down.....
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post
I also find this extremely annoying. They default to ear splitting volume and it clips my master and it's just plain annoying, forever have to turn it down.....

Yep.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Too lazy to take a second to turn a fader down?
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Too lazy to take a second to turn a fader down?
Or perhaps the trim knob? heh
Old 24th December 2010
The pont is we have to deal with an issue that is only an issue because the developers choose to cater to it all the chowderheads in the marketplace who think louder is automatically better.
Old 25th December 2010

create patch at desired volume

save patch as default

job done now go wash the sand out of your vag
Old 25th December 2010
It doesn't work that way for every softsynth. Some you will have to save it for every patch.

Read the original post. He didn't say it was the end of the world, just part of the non-musical belief that is now prevalent in modern commercial music that louder = better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search