The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a Simple DAW and help! Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Need a Simple DAW and help!

Here is my situation: A Keyboard player for 25 years and have used hardware sequencers and built in ones for my home studio. I have six Roland keyboards/guitars/mics the whole 9 yards, a nice studio with everything, other then a way to record. Other then using 4 tracks in the old days and hardware sequencers or importing .Wavs in from my fantom X6, I have never recorded. I like to push a button, get a sound and record one track at a time until the song is done, simple!
So, I thought I would try computer recording and bought FL Studio 9 and EZ Drummer. I have yet to figure out how to even do a track just fooling with EZ drummer to try and build a drum sequence after three weeks of Youtube. Then it occurred to me I have to have Audio in on my custom built new PC, as it only has a microphone jack :(
Now I am $600.00 in the hole for software I can't use or figure out how to use it.
I have two options, buying a hardware recorder like a Boss 1200CD or something close or trying to record on the computer. All I want is to simply record one track at a time, weather it be Bass/Guitar/Keyboards/Effects (as I am the band) by simply hitting record and do the track, then onto the next track. I will admit it would be nice to use EZ drummer as I like the drum tracks for a more realistic feel versus drum patterns on the keyboards.
How can I do this?
What is the best (simplest) software to use and help get a professional feel to the songs?
What interface do I need to get audio into the computer?
Can EZ drummer work with a simple program as I like the patterns?
Thanks for any and all help and treat me like a beginner, I just want to be able to make a CD quality recordings with little lose of audio signal the easiest way possible. I am talented and want to just write songs, not figure out software when inspired.
One last note, I have $20,000 in equipment and now about $600.00 tied up in software I can't figure out how to use, I would like to keep the price down if I can, but I don't want to sacrifice the sound coming from my outputs into the computer. Thanks all!
Old 23rd December 2010
There are lots of interface boxes that you can use to connect your hardware to your computer. I know a few people who use the mic in on their computer to record, but it's not ideal.
Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

Your choice in DAWs was interesting. You may consider hiring someone on Craigslist or Gearslutz to help get you set up and rolling.

I was in the same boat that you are 10 years ago. Fruityloops may be perfect for you. I know that you don't want to spend more $$$, but Reason / Record may also be seriously worth considering, because you are used to working with nobs and dials. It looks like gear. It's a great, easy-to-use interface. I usually recommend that as a jumping off point DAW (digital audio workstation).
Propellerhead Software - Products - Reason
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

It looks like FL Studio has VST support, so EZDrummer should work. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but have you read the manual?

To be honest I don't know anything about FL Studio, if you were me I'd consider selling FL Studio on ebay (or wherever) and purchasing Reason and Reaper. Reason as baskervils noted is really intuitive for ppl new to digital music.

I'd say consider Reaper over Record for two reasons, 1. Record, unless they've changed it, isn't VST plugin compatible, so you wouldn't be able to use EZDrummer with it and 2. The Reaper User Guide is great, it's very easy to follow and understand. You'll learn A LOT just reading through it, whether you choose to use reaper or not. Another good reason to consider Reaper is the price and demo policy.

REAPER | Resources

Other options would be Cubase and Sonar, both of which come with a lot of included instruments, etc, and could negate the need for Reason. Whatever you buy, make sure and read the manual.

As for interfaces, there are tons depending on your budget. The consesus "best" budget one seems to be the M-Audio Profire610. If you can afford to spend a little more, look at RME.

All in all, it sounds like you need knowledge. Look for a book on the basics of digital recording or google around for a good site. Also look for a good book on whichever DAW you choose.

Best of Luck!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I just learned that you can use FL Studio as a VSTi inside of Reaper (or likely any VST compatible DAW). Just FYI. Might be worth while learning to use it.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Ez drummer is a fantastic application that runs smoothly from within Cubase (my version : cubase sx3).

I would also recommend reason, for you can use it as a super expander first, and second link it to cubase through the 'rewire' principle.

So that you can use cubase to record anything midi or audio, profit from the great sounding reason, and of course design terrific drums parts with ez drummer. All hooked together.

The only drawback is the learning curve. Cubase and Reason can be daunting at first sight (although I agree you can have Reason work quicker). So Reaper would be an interesting and cheaper alternative.
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies!
The M Audio Profire 610 looks like a good interface and I may be ordering that in a few days after checking it out more on YouTube and reading reviews from harmony central, good starting point.
Now to the Daws. Yes, I have "read" the manual or skimmed through it a few times and honestly, I would hate to spend a month more just simply to record live audio tracks as already spent three weeks trying to figure it out, but maybe I need to as I really like EZ Drummer, but I'll check into Reaper as I also have an old version of Reason and could not figure that out either Why does it have to be so complicated as I don't want to use soft sounds and don't need step timing or 95% of what I know a DAW is said to do. Was hoping for a simple Daw to just drag some loops from Ez Drummer in, hit record and do a track at a time over it.
As far as hiring someone for help, that would be great if I lived within an hour of a major city, I live in the country and the cows out-number the people here. There is no music scene here as there are no bars other then the barn dance on Friday nights, hehe...
I was just hoping it would be like a studio, where I walk in and play to a drum track and then build layers without needing much editing at all, if any. I do thank all of you for your help and more suggestions would be nice, but I think I am really aiming towards a hardware recorder at this point since I have already spent $600.00 and now I need a $350.00 interface to even start to record and another easier DAW, so for the $1000, I could have already been recording, but the computer storage is unlimited as all I have to do as add cheap harddrives, ahhh..
The search continues...
Old 14th October 2011
Here for the gear
delta 1010 lt or emu 0404 pci

Quote:
Originally Posted by buminbeer2 View Post
Here is my situation: A Keyboard player for 25 years and have used hardware sequencers and built in ones for my home studio. I have six Roland keyboards/guitars/mics the whole 9 yards, a nice studio with everything, other then a way to record. Other then using 4 tracks in the old days and hardware sequencers or importing .Wavs in from my fantom X6, I have never recorded. I like to push a button, get a sound and record one track at a time until the song is done, simple!
So, I thought I would try computer recording and bought FL Studio 9 and EZ Drummer. I have yet to figure out how to even do a track just fooling with EZ drummer to try and build a drum sequence after three weeks of Youtube. Then it occurred to me I have to have Audio in on my custom built new PC, as it only has a microphone jack :(
Now I am $600.00 in the hole for software I can't use or figure out how to use it.
I have two options, buying a hardware recorder like a Boss 1200CD or something close or trying to record on the computer. All I want is to simply record one track at a time, weather it be Bass/Guitar/Keyboards/Effects (as I am the band) by simply hitting record and do the track, then onto the next track. I will admit it would be nice to use EZ drummer as I like the drum tracks for a more realistic feel versus drum patterns on the keyboards.
How can I do this?
What is the best (simplest) software to use and help get a professional feel to the songs?
What interface do I need to get audio into the computer?
Can EZ drummer work with a simple program as I like the patterns?
Thanks for any and all help and treat me like a beginner, I just want to be able to make a CD quality recordings with little lose of audio signal the easiest way possible. I am talented and want to just write songs, not figure out software when inspired.
One last note, I have $20,000 in equipment and now about $600.00 tied up in software I can't figure out how to use, I would like to keep the price down if I can, but I don't want to sacrifice the sound coming from my outputs into the computer. Thanks all!
hi,
maybe delta 1010 lt or emu 0404 pci ?
Best Regards
ps: in the next future I could also sell one (either delta or emu one)
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

Presonus Studio One

Ive used every DAW (ProTools HD professionally) and there is not one that is more intuitive that Studio One. Just create music.
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear
Unless you plan on recording multiple live instruments the M-Audio ProFire 610 is overkill. If your recording needs are simple just get something like PreSonus AudioBox($149.00) which comes bundled with a lite version of Studio One and take the time to learn that and Fruity Loops. No need to spend a lot of money right away. You mostly need to spend time with your software.
Old 14th October 2011
SONAR X1 Best included instruments and plugins[by quite aLOOONG way]But.....It has taken me too long to get to where im able to use it the way Id have liked.The manual is really crap[sorry cake] Scott Garigus's book is good but again its written as if youve used Windows since 95[sorry scott]Hes coming out with vids,I hope they work.G3's vids are geared toward loop based funk/jazz but they are "essential" after the enormous confusion the "1850 page" manual gives you.Im sticking[mainly cause of the time invested]I have reaper[installed,but not using it yet] and plan to learn it at some stage.Go "Reaper", you already have obviously "good hardware synths".
Old 16th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
You mostly need to spend time with your software.
This is by FAR the most important point.A little while ago I was ready to chuck it in as I couldnt "just drag some drum loops and start recording" after nearly 4months of struggling with the simplest,but most difficult to just do,with SONAR.These software DAWs are super deep[REAPER too] and now Ive gotten through to the "other side" somewhat, it is beginning to get exciting.It does take a LOT of time.I originally bought an all in one TASCAM 2488neo and a BOSS DR880 drum machine[both are now gone]but DAW software is the way forward, it just takes a very patient mind[unlike mine] and a LOT of reading/watching/learning.TOO much in my opinion but these tools[all DAWs]are really complex,and their learning curve just reflects their capabilities.After 17 years away from music and now 47 I have found the learning of DAWs very very difficult,I decided and bought the TASCAM etc in March,SONAR,Laptop in April.Only NOW am I getting it,GOOD LUCK! RK.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search