The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternate to Apple Display for Macpro Turntables
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Alternate to Apple Display for Macpro

Is anyone here using a different manufacturers display with a Mac Pro ......and if so I would appreciate any interest in what is good or bad about taking this approach. Seems like one way to save some $$ on a New Mac Pro investment is on a different mfgr. display.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Sure. Dell and HP make excellent 30" IPS displays, comparable with the Cinema Displays.

They just don't look as sexy on your desk.
Old 22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

So you don't lose any particular functionality with these displays compared to Apple's ..connections etc.??
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Oh ..and any specific suggestions on models etc are welcome ....I am actually thinking of maybe 2 24" instead of one 30 " because of cost for one reason. But also ....I think I like the idea of two monitors .....
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSc2 View Post
Sure. Dell and HP make excellent 30" IPS displays, comparable with the Cinema Displays.
The comparable displays are comparable in price as well most of the time. Don't know about the 30", but it's true for the newer 27" models from what I have seen.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Thx for that link ...that is very helpful. Here is another question ...what about the warranty service etc. ....has that proven to be important with displays? Obviously with an Apple product you get their support ...take it to their store etc.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that working with two displays may be great if you're working in something like an audio app or graphic work, but for casual things like web or email it's not that great.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Im using TWO of these for Logic Pro 9...
Asus VH236H Reviews
They are AWESOME ! The only thing is you first have to CALIBRATE the monitors in Display preferences. Out the box they're TERRIBLE. Calibrated is an incredible experience. It's the best possible 24" inch LCD for the money today ! You can get a pair today for under $450 shipped... Do your research, get a pair and post your results here on GS... Happy Holidays, donnie7 aka donsonic...

Last edited by donnie7; 22nd December 2010 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using a 40" Sony LCD TV through VGA input. Great image and vey cheap...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

I'm using dual Viewsonic VX2260WM with my Mac Pro they're really nice once you've set them up. Not amazing for internet browsing because seems to lack definition in the white-grey colours but they're great for films and logic looks nice on it.
Pretty cheap but I'm not sure they're available anymore. I got the second off ebay luckily. If you can find them second hand go for it though you should get them for under £100 easily!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Samsung, HP & Dell would get my vote. I've got LCD's here as well from Acer, Asus, Viewsonic and a few other companies but the upper tier products from the first 3 companies I listed tend to be higher quality (IPS/PVA based panels and more thought put into OSD versus input lag issues and connectivity..)
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Alternate to Apple Display for Macpro

2 x 27 inch liyama into 5870 via dvi. Good value for money.
Old 23rd December 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

40" samsung LED/LCD TV behind mixing desk with mac pro here. Finally I can see the small fonts of Logic with ease from about 1.4 m distance. Upgraded from Dell 24" lcd display. No reason to buy just apple displays.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie7 View Post
Im using TWO of these for Logic Pro 9...
Asus VH236H Reviews
They are AWESOME ! The only thing is you first have to CALIBRATE the monitors in Display preferences. Out the box they're TERRIBLE. Calibrated is an incredible experience. It's the best possible 24" inch LCD for the money today ! You can get a pair today for under $450 shipped... Do your research, get a pair and post your results here on GS... Happy Holidays, donnie7 aka donsonic...
Plus on the Asus I have 2 of the 24" models, super fast refresh, under 5 ms and great color and contrast, plus cheap. Using them with a MBP 15".
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I've got the vw246h here and it's certainly inexpensive, but it took me a few tries to get them to fix an issue that I was having (came back 'fixed' twice with nothing more done than some tape goo and improper packaging leading to further issues.) I did manage to get them to cross ship a replacement in the end. I've also had so-so issues with Samsung's service department in relation to monitors (275t issue) and given the much higher cost I wish I could say otherwise. But overall I still like the Samsungs that I own much better than Asus/Acer/Viewsonic stuff I have here (P2450 I have here is much nicer than the vw246h and affordable if you buy at Costco or etc.) I used to really like Viewsonic in the CRT era...

I've got enough monitors here that I'm waiting on HP to update their 30" zr30w with an LED backlight or something else similar (I like the tradeoff of eliminating the OSD to keep input lag low while using IPS signalling/panel + high 30" res.)
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I think the there is still no replacement for the 30" IPS panel used in the Dell and the old Apple 30". The newer 27" has the same resolution and the image quality is much better IMO, there's slight "crystal" effect on other IPS displays I have seen. I have an Eizo screen my self, not one of the higher end models and it's only 22" inch. But I like the fact that you get a 5 year pixel warranty with these screens, and they also hand pick the panels.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Here's an insightful article from appstorm, comparing the Apple 27" Cinema display vs other displays that pack the same features.

The 27″ Apple Cinema Display: Is It Worth $999? | Mac.AppStorm
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I think the there is still no replacement for the 30" IPS panel used in the Dell and the old Apple 30". The newer 27" has the same resolution and the image quality is much better IMO, there's slight "crystal" effect on other IPS displays I have seen. I have an Eizo screen my self, not one of the higher end models and it's only 22" inch. But I like the fact that you get a 5 year pixel warranty with these screens, and they also hand pick the panels.
I mentioned the HP 30" above: ZR30W
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Just picked up a used Apple 23" display to go alongside my Sony 23".. Both great monitors.

It's near impossible to find a dot pitch that low on monitors out there now. It seems as if all the manufacturers are just defaulting to 1080p even on 27" (except for apple and a few others).
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

This is really helpful guys .....I really appreciate it!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

My vote for Samsung. They had a 30" even a few years back that got very good reviews in 2 mags I read (Macwelt and CT Magazin). And it was significantly more affordable than Apple`s 30".

Apart from that Eizo`s 24" always get the best review results.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Ok?
Well Dell/HP/Samsung/Apple all use the same panel sources so the main differences are in the i/o. what's implemented in the dsp and the cosmetics/backlight. Since HP is offering a 30" panel sources are probably not an issue...

The 27" Apple with LED backlight is attractive, as are the other models on the market that use the same panel. I seem to recall some of the other models aren't LED backlit yet...
Old 23rd December 2010
27" Samsung @ 1920 x 1200

With 30" you need to sit closer because of the higher resolution (the text will be much smaller). So unless you need the higher resolution/screen estate you're probably better off with a 27".

Remember to check for 1920 x 1200 since some 27" have a higher resolution. Also get a monitor, don't get a TV with only 1920 x 1080.

Here's the Samsung 275T+:

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

KK ...excellent input again ....is Apple's the only one that offers the added attractions of a camera, internal speakers etc .....don't know if this will matter to me but I want to take all into consideration.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

^^^^That is an amazing studio! Damn I love that design.

If you've ever seen a cinema display you know that they are incredible looking. But when it comes down to it what are you using it for? Its nice to have a great display for audio work, and a 1080p resolution is great. I can't really see splurging unless you just have the cash or do graphic/photography work. Get a $500 Samsung and have $500 for plugs, a faster processor, whatever.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Why is the 1920x1200 important?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrc View Post
Why is the 1920x1200 important?
I use two monitors with my Mac Pro. A 1920 x 1200 and a much older (probably 6 or 7 years) 1600x1200.

I take a more pragmatic view than many in this thread. I use them for DAW and general computer use. Not professional image editing nor have any need for "accurate" colors. I buy name brand, moderately priced monitors. Maybe i am easy to please (though generally I am very picky) as I've been happy with all purchases. I bought my first LCD in 2000. A 17 inch IBM LCD monitor for about $1,100 (ouch!). Still works and looks fine. My son now uses it as an external monitor for his laptop.

I don't know why Lagerfeldt (whom I highly respect) would imply the value of 1920x1200 over 1920x1080 as "important". I agree more screen is better! and the 1200 height has kinda spoiled me (now I find 1080 short :-) But whatever rocks your boat.

I also don't know how anyone could give you a definitive answer to what is best for YOU. That will all depend on your usage, your needs, your eyesight, etc. Different horse for different courses.

Good luck!

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I have 2 1920x1200 and 2 1920x1080p and the taller ones offer enough additional vertical real estate to be noticeable when working.

I think part of it is also the onus of the resolution. Ie, 1920x1200 implies you can work on 1920x1080 pixels worth of workspace with enough room for your finder bar (OSX) or taskbar (Win), ie a resolution intended for 'content creators'. 1920x1080 is intended for full-screen 1080p playback, ie, intended for 'content consumers'. Though the disappearance of 1200 as a vertical height is probably more of a supply thing (1080p panels outsell 1920x1200 to the degree that there's little point in making the latter size anymore it seems).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search