The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternate to Apple Display for Macpro Turntables
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Here's the Samsung 275T+
Wow, that looks like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. Nice studio.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

What about one of the older Apple 23" displays .... anybody have any input/opinion on these. I know it would be used ....but how many problems do ppl have with flat panel monitors ....should age be of concern?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I have an older Apple 23" and I love that it's 1900x1200 in a smaller footprint.
I have had to replace the power supply, while it was under warranty, and I'm getting some pretty bad ghosting now. If you leave it on a white page and then close it, you can still see where the page was. It's not a deal breaker but now I'd like to either get another or find something ips with a good resolution. I'll take all the pixels I can get!

I'm still hoping that oled technology gets here sooner than later but not sure how much longer I can wait.
Old 6th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by headrc View Post
Why is the 1920x1200 important?
I guess it depends on what DAW you're using.

In Logic Pro, using 1200 vertical pixels is perfect because it allows you to display all the necessary info as well as a bunch of inserts and sends.

With only 1080 pixels you'll likely not be able to display the necessary amount of information without having to collapse something in the Inspector at some point.

Thanks for the comments about my studio :-)
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting to know you've got the same monitor as I do Lagerfeldt (my workspace is not nearly as attractive though!)
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

I've been in the market to upgrade my older 20inch screen and used this thread as a starting point. The 16:10 aspect ratio seemed appealing so I used that as a basis for narrowing down the options.

Ultimately I went with the HP ZR24w, which seems to have great reviews and be more reliable than the Dell U2410 (which is about 100$ more).

I also considered the ASUS VW266H, which has great reviews and a really low price but is not as high of quality a screen and some people have reported that it has a bluish tint.

If 16:9 is for you, your options increase greatly. The Viewsonic VP2365WB seems like a bargain for an 23'' IPS screen at under 300$.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Would 1920 by 1200 be just a little bit better? Sure...

... but OP was looking for a way to save some money, and...

I got a brand new 1920 x1080 which at 40" with 3 foot viewing distance puts the text at just the right size, and lets me see over 70 tracks a time in the Logic arrange window. If it were any smaller, those tracks would be too small to read. I find 40" at 3 feet to be more resolution than necessary and the maximum information available at clearly readable size. I really don't understand at all the idea of having small super high res screens. At even a couple feet back, the resolution is so great that there s no benefit beyond a certain point. I can easily put up 8 pages of text and read them with no problem.. and at a resolution so great I wouldn't even be able to tell if you doubled it. I would simply not be able to do that with a smaller screen.

NEW and perfectly pixel mapped 1:1 via existing (read as "free") vga cable....

... for $400.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

1920x1200 is perfectly readable for me on my 275t (27") at 2-3 feet. In fact it sits on a small endtable "stand" behind my main desk so that it's between my monitors... I can't imagine a 40" screen that close but if it works for you that's what is important.

Really I wanted a 30" display even when I bought this but I do video & 3d stuff as well as music and the gpu's back when I made my purchase were fill-rate limited at that res. But I'm willing to wait for..well pretty close to now (LED backlit screens at 1440p and 1600p are appearing finally.) Also Ati 5850/5870, Nvidia's 580/570 and the corresponding firegl/quadros are finally getting past the fill rate issues, plus the the new 27" resolution that seems popular (1440p?) mitigates this issue with the other current gen cards which are 'almost enough' for a 30" screen. None of that is relevant to audio users really but I am looking forward to having a higher dpi monitor (not to mention the day that dpi settings for fonts actually work consistently across all apps & OSes...)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search