The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Melodyne or Autotune... a current perspective. Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Maniac

hands down... melodyne ! but you really have to know music to use it correctly.. the snap settings don't work.. you need to do it all by hand... time consuming but well worth it. there is no short cut for tuning a vocal...
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

So for someone that uses Melodyne very very discriminately for a few notes here and there ...

Is there any significant improvement to Melodyne 2.0 for "sound quality" alone that would make the upgrade from 1.2 editor a rational move?
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Addict

Absurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post

Stay thirsty my friend.

I love it! Have to agree, I began with Autotune, but once I moved to melodyne I NEVER turned back for manually editing pitch.

For a BANGING vocal take, you may use AT as a set it and forget it
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

If u wanna do crazy stuff, auto tune has it's thing, no need to mention that.

If you want to fine tune a few notes here and there on a great performance that missed a couple notes, melodyne cannot be touched.

Finely enough cubases inbuilt pitch editing is a close second.

Auto tune when you use it sparingly people still pick it, it's really not great for when you don't want it to be heard.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
Hmmm - have to disagree here (not on the Melodyne bit). I would much rather have a pitchy performance with lots of personality and balls, and then fix the "pitchy" parts later on - than having a perfect performance pitchwise that is bland and ordinary. Most often singers can have a hard time "giving their soul" while staying in pitch for a whole pass, and it gets even more hard for them the more takes you make - at least in my experience.

Its the smallest things in a performance that will catch the listeners attention - the "right" breathing, the "right" rusty endings to certain words/passages, SEX - A "perfect" pitch is not one of them.

As always YMMV
Totally agree.

I always tell singers: I can fix your tuning and timing but I can't create your vibe for you.

Doing take after take trying to nail pitch exhausts the enthusiasm of most singers.

I think producing singers is all about keeping their "good energy" around as long as possible and keeping them out of their heads. As soon as they start over analyzing themselves the session starts to go south.
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear
Big +1...Either you're a singer yourself, or you are a very perceptive engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Totally agree.

I always tell singers: I can fix your tuning and timing but I can't create your vibe for you.

Doing take after take trying to nail pitch exhausts the enthusiasm of most singers.

I think producing singers is all about keeping their "good energy" around as long as possible and keeping them out of their heads. As soon as they start over analyzing themselves the session starts to go south.
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Maniac

melodyne
Old 11th June 2012
Gear Nut

Melodyne still change the sound also in the last version, when you load a track before processing , the pitch will still sound as good as the original source , but in the moment you start to correct the vocal you lose the high end.

suddenly the original source sounds much more crisp and nice as you recorded it and the melodyne processed track is dull...

The diffrence is so big that it can be noticed on a blind test.

I was very disappointed to discover that, after A few years of use ,

The interface is great, the pich corrcting itself is much better and sounds more natural then AutoTune in extrem changes but it all sound more natural compared to the original already less high end melodyn sound , which is not so good.

I invested in a 10K vocal chain and don't want to lose the high end with any plugin , so now I don't use it any more and never will, untill something will change there.

Waves tune plug also change the high end like Melodyne , but AutoTune doesn't, to me it sounds transparent as my original wave and now I only use that.

extrem changes are not so welcome but for a nice singers I do not complain.
Old 11th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGABEBA View Post

Waves tune plug also change the high end.
Yes !
Good ears !

I love and use a lot of Wave plugins since years. But some of the plugs change the high end extremely.
The Waves Renaissance DeEsser is unusable in my ears.
Maybe he does not know the difference between sssss an high frequencies.... grin.

R.
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Nut

I`ve tried both Antares and Melodyne, and I also immediately noticed the high-end problem with Melodyne. I can`t say that I`ve spent a lot of time working with Melodyne, probably not more than a couple of hours. But AutoTune sounds crisper, and works great in Graphical Mode. I also like the interface a lot better than Melodyne, feels like good results are easier to accomplish quickly in Antares.

People using Antares in Auto Mode really shouldn`t be part of this discussion.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Auto-Tune for a real quick demo thing.

Melodyne for straightening out instruments.

Waves Tune for all serious vocals.

The Auto-Tune effect is too noticable, even in Grid, Melodyne kills the high end of tuned notes, and Waves Tune is easier than Melodyne once you get a hang of it, and it has neither of those two problems...not to mention Waves Tune just sounds better. Artifacts suck. Takes a day or two to get the hang of it, but once I did, I realized that that for the most important part of the song, I could from now on only use Waves Tune.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

I prefer the sound of AT. I always use it in graphical mode and manually draw in pitch corrections. Sounds fine to me the majority of the time. I do like the user interface of Melodyne, but frequently have felt that it has a bizarre sound. The UI of AT leaves much to be desired though.
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogCalledNoah View Post
AutoTune sounds crisper, and works great in Graphical Mode.

People using Antares in Auto Mode really shouldn`t be part of this discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
I always use it in graphical mode and manually draw in pitch corrections.
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Yes !
Good ears !

I love and use a lot of Wave plugins since years. But some of the plugs change the high end extremely.
The Waves Renaissance DeEsser is unusable in my ears.
Maybe he does not know the difference between sssss an high frequencies.... grin.

R.

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you know that plugin, but I'm curious... Sometimes I see people just load a preset and don't realize that there's a shelf vs bell option on the key input, and shelf will compress ALL high end. Are you noticing this high end mess even in bell mode? I use this DeEsser a lot and I'm gonna pay more attention to this next time.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

i still like soundtoys pitch doctor!!!! most natural sounding of them all.

how do you like them apples???

but to be honest i use them all (at 4, at evo, waves tune, pitch doctor and melodyne) depending on the singer...but i could not live without autotune if i had to pick one.

ej
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

I'm using Waves Tune personally. Manual modea, bit time consuming but you can sculpt a singer that isn't sounding able to get the notes where they need to be quicker and with less frustration than having them sing it a million times.

I agree with all the comments that to keep doing the take until it's right is probably better but at the end of the industry that my studio sits if we spend a day just on a lead vocal the artist is likely to go to 'that studio' they recorded their last release at that the engineer recorded 5 takes complete, compiled one decent one, and then tuned and massaged it to make it atleast acceptable.

Anyway... Yeah, I know it's not on the initial list of Melodyne or Autotune but Waves Tune it is for me.
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Addict

I recorded 7 small children singing acapello and as you can imagine they were all over the place.
Used Melodyne Editor in Ploly mode and it did a good job. Almost made them sound like they could sing.
Also had a clean rhythm track that was out of tune, poly, made it set in the track wonderfully. Used it on bass with good succes too.

I'm a very gravelly blues singer with lots of air and neither do a very good job on my vocals.Tuners don't like that air on top of my voice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search