The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Melodyne or Autotune... a current perspective. Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ive demoed both. Autotune is easier, but the results I dont like that much, but id definitely go there to get that t-pain fad sound.

If I had to pick a program to buy, keep and use, it would be melodyne. Was more natural sounding to me. And I could still get the more effect like tuning with it.

Of course id keep the original vocal take, duplicate it, and only process the duplicated track, and cut it up so that only the notes that needed to be tuned will play and have minimal sound difference.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Didn´t you read anything I wrote? Or are you happy with the audio degradation by Melodyne?
Old 25th December 2010
CKK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
Didn´t you read anything I wrote? Or are you happy with the audio degradation by Melodyne?
Yes.
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
Melodyne degrades the sound just by importing audio into it. Anyone who can´t hear this degradation, shouldn´t be writing in the "High end" forum.
I'm afraid your argument is outdated. With melodyne editor 1.1, celemony addressed this problem. Now, we're up to 1.2. The updated versions of melodyne do not process transferred vocals in any way until they are tuned. Even then, the untuned parts of the vocal remain untouched. With that said, even the tuning sounds better now, but it still chops up esses pretty good.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
The way to successfully tune a vocal is to only use Melodyne on the stuff that needs repair.

Why are you trying to tune esses...?

I don't always drink auto-tuning software, but when I do, I prefer Melodyne.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post

I don't always drink auto-tuning software, but when I do, I prefer Melodyne.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Melodyne or Autotune... a current perspective.

Throwing another option into the equation... I use cubase which has variaudio. Amazing. Then I add autotune if need be for the coloring. Tests have shown sound degradation. On melodyne higher than even variaudio. Check it out on YouTube folks. It's a serious work horse and comes built in.

Also another suggestion is using both melodyne and autotune. Cats do that?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Davis View Post
I've found Melodyne absolutely destroys the esses in recordings, turning them into digitally aggressive thorns. - I have to cut all the esses out before tuning which is a nightmare.
What I do, is I have two tracks; the pitch-fixed track with the parts fixed that need the tuning, and the original non-fixed track. I cut the fixed parts and use them to fix the the bad shots on the original track. And you easily hear the problematic parts when playing those two tracks at the same time -- the vocal starts "chorusing" at the bad shots
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
I should say that many of the responses here imply to me that people aren't taking advantage of manual mode in Autotune...
is everyone in this thread talking about using the actual 'auto' mode???
i use autotune 5 in manual mode and it sounds good with no problems what so ever...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Melodyne or Autotune... a current perspective.

Anyone who comments on the sound of Melodyne should download the latest version. It works great and if you happen to tune an s now and then and it sounds weird just separate the s from the note and everything sounds just fine. Merry Xmas !
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

I find Melodyne to be the most natural product out there. That being said you can easily go overboard and over fix or go to a completely UN-NATURAL sound. I find that just fixing the vibrato at the end of a note gives you a more natural pitch correction as most singers run out of breath at the end of a note or phrase and loose pitch as they loose seam.
Old 27th December 2010
Harmless Wacko

If you are doing vocal pitch work day in and day out and you're expected to win pretty much 100% of the time... you better have both. And you better also expect to spend quite a bit of time learning to utilize them with a level of effectiveness which separates you from the rabble.

People who don't believe this ARE the rabble.

HOHOHO.

Just a thought.

SM.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

There are several different versions of Auto-tune - evo, evo tdm, native, efx.

Which if these is the one most widely used?

Stewart
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Wow, I'm honestly suprised! Not long ago, the High-End folks seemed to say Auto-Tune still sounded better in the end and Melodyne did funky things to the high end, etc

I have no horse in the race, just curious.

-a
I still think it does funky stuff to the high end
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Melodyne definitely screws up the sound a bit -- it's like a dulling or loss some frequencies in certain areas. I pull it out ONLY if the singer is really horrible and I have to choose performance over quality.

Auto-Tune is less degrading to the sound and in Graphic Mode is quite usable but not in the way the Melodyne is.

If Melodyne could re-write/re-tweak it so that it doesn't sonically degrade the sound source so much, it would be really great!
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

I realise that this is auto-tune vs melodyne....but I use a slightly different method. I think the main problem with the way people use auto tune is that they slap it on automatic and crank the speed really fast so that it catches everything. This can never yeild decent results and will sound horrific.
Although I use many different DAW's, I tend to do vocal tuning in Digital Performer. It has a graphic tuning window as part of the program. It allows you to center the pitch of a note while retaining the natural deviations, if desired. You can make it un-naturally tuned as well...but you don't have to. I usually manually get the pitch centered with DP and then run Auto tune in real time on a SLOWER setting to "bat cleanup." It works really well and sounds natural. There are always times when you tend to over do it, and save a note that is too far off. This often does sound weird....so you have to back it off. But I can get a great sounding vocal using this combo.

Kirt Shearer
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

Is it possible to "fix" the melodyne high loss with eq?
I am demoing it right now and I really enjoy the workflow and the possibility to get a natural result with it but that high loss bugs me.
It takes a lot of air out of the vocals...

Waves Tune didn't do this but the workflow isn't as great, I don't like the graphic mode in auto-tune, it's not for me.
Old 28th October 2011
I found that the latest version of Melodyne sounds very close to the original sound (I use the plug-in version).

I did notice a lot of tone loss in earlier versions.

Also, just tune the notes that need it an replace small parts as possible - it is very hard to notice if used in this way.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
I found that the latest version of Melodyne sounds very close to the original sound (I use the plug-in version).

I did notice a lot of tone loss in earlier versions.

Also, just tune the notes that need it an replace small parts as possible - it is very hard to notice if used in this way.
With the newest version, I haven't noticed any degradation either. Uno would definitely screw with the esses and would have the occasional whiiiiir. If you want transparency, then definitely go with Melodyne. This newest version is really transparent with the tuning and drift options. The only thing I miss in Melodyne is the drawing ability. Love to be able to just draw in a minute fix.
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Addict

I know that it's a proprietory system to Digital Performer but I've got to tell you the pitch correction in DP is absolutely awesome. I correct pitch in DP and it is perfection. Mind you, it does take time. Like an hour or two for a lead vocal but wow is it totally in tune with no artifacts.

Would love to hear other's opinion about DP's pitch correction.
Old 29th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sands View Post
I know that it's a proprietory system to Digital Performer but I've got to tell you the pitch correction in DP is absolutely awesome. I correct pitch in DP and it is perfection. Mind you, it does take time. Like an hour or two for a lead vocal but wow is it totally in tune with no artifacts.

Would love to hear other's opinion about DP's pitch correction.
I have Autotune TDM, Evo, and Melodyne, I still use DP6.0 to manually tune vocals for the instances in which it's needed.

I agree, I think it sounds the best of the bunch almost all of the time. Melodyne completely changes the tone of your track the moment you turn it on, and Autotune is just slower to work with (for me)
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Melodyne completely changes the tone of your track the moment you turn it on
Never changes when I use it.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

I always export and edit in Melodyne in Standalone mode - I am not aware of any major degradation other than a gentle top end tweak if I feel it's necessary, which is rarely, and I like processing the vocals in isolation away from the track. Its more time-consuming but it's done once, listening in absolute detail without distractions.
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Never changes when I use it.
Me neither. I am wondering if those who say that are using older versions?

I use it in plugin mode it PT 9 and 10
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
I always export and edit in Melodyne in Standalone mode - I am not aware of any major degradation other than a gentle top end tweak if I feel it's necessary, which is rarely, and I like processing the vocals in isolation away from the track. Its more time-consuming but it's done once, listening in absolute detail without distractions.
I I don't see the real benefit of exporting? I use the plugin in PT. If I want no distractions I just solo the vocal track.
Old 29th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedemena View Post
Me neither. I am wondering if those who say that are using older versions?

I use it in plugin mode it PT 9 and 10
Melodyne Plugin 1.0.4.2 ?
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Melodyne Plugin 1.0.4.2 ?
Latest (which I'm using) is 1.3.0.

I'm running on OS X but the web sites that version for Windows too. Mine is Melodyne Editor or single track.

Use it's pitch to MIDI feature also.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Pitch Doctor all the way here.

I automate the manual slider in PT for correction, it's invisible.

Stef
Old 8th February 2012
Melodyne has a better workflow and interface but autotune just works better 'if' you know how to use it in graphical mode properly. The newer version of autotune started to implement a different way of tuning in graphical mode very similar to Melodyne but it still doesn't sound as good as traditional graphical mode editing in my experience.
Old 9th February 2012
Deleted User
The good, the bad and the ugly

Where will this lead to? I can´t hear any modern production on the radio where Melodyne has´nt been used extensivly.
Even the new Paul McCartney record has Melodyne written over it. It´s so depressing.

I´ve witnessed a "shootout" of singers on a TV program called " The Voice".
Big fu_cn Mainstream show which pretends it´s all about the singing. Everyones raving about how good the vocalists are.
On the day of the recording, some of the singers could´nt hit a bloody note in their first 3 lines of their performances. When it was broadcasted 2 month later, they all sounded like angels coming from heaven and all the punters went fu_c_n "wow". The so called "Jury" played along nicely.

Some of the singers I heard live where really great, but you were´nt able to identify them on TV anymore, after the Melodyne treatment for all the suckers. It made the show sound good though...up till the day when there were live performances on TV. Everything went down, the excitement and the rates. The only thing that went up was the level of the backing tracks, to cover up the mess.

Why bother taking care of any vocalrecordings anymore? You don´t need to be able to sing, I can pitch the living daylights into you.

I wonder where the music will go? Streets, Churches, Bars, Brothels?
If you love music, this development is not Nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search