The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hey Motu users, I need your help! Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Hey Motu users, I need your help!

So, I'm new to Motu since I'm a Pro Tools user. I have Pro Tools 9 and I'm running into some problems that I thought you guys might be able to help me with. So I have a Black Lion Audio modded 896 HD running Pro Tools 9 using a Mac Pro. My problem is whenever I do a hardware insert in Pro Tools, it loses the signal inside of the software. For example, I patched a compressor in as a hardware insert. I can hear the compressed audio out of my monitors, but my level in Pro Tools is gone. It's like the audio is staying in the 896 HD and going out the monitor outs but not back into the channels in Pro Tools. Any ideas on what's happening? Also, what is this cue mix software? From my understanding, it controls what coming out of my interface's monitor outs. Is this accurate? Is there any way to bypass it? Also, I bought the Motu used and the guy gave me a disc that was titled "Motu FW Audio Desk". Do I need this? What software should I have in order for the 896 HD to run properly? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PihSant View Post
So, I'm new to Motu since I'm a Pro Tools user. I have Pro Tools 9 and I'm running into some problems that I thought you guys might be able to help me with. So I have a Black Lion Audio modded 896 HD running Pro Tools 9 using a Mac Pro. My problem is whenever I do a hardware insert in Pro Tools, it loses the signal inside of the software. For example, I patched a compressor in as a hardware insert. I can hear the compressed audio out of my monitors, but my level in Pro Tools is gone. It's like the audio is staying in the 896 HD and going out the monitor outs but not back into the channels in Pro Tools. Any ideas on what's happening? Also, what is this cue mix software? From my understanding, it controls what coming out of my interface's monitor outs. Is this accurate? Is there any way to bypass it? Also, I bought the Motu used and the guy gave me a disc that was titled "Motu FW Audio Desk". Do I need this? What software should I have in order for the 896 HD to run properly? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. Thanks a lot in advance.
When you say that you patched a compressor in, I'm assuming that you are doing this: Output of MOTU, into compressor, into separate input on MOTU. As long as your input is engaged to record, you should be able to just hit record and capture your compressed sound. The CueMix software is primarily for monitoring during tracking. It creates a separate mix for the musicians. With it, you can add effects to say, a vocal, while he is tracking vocals, and not print the effect or have latency issues. It also allows you to adjust the volume of each instrument while leaving your faders at unity. If you want to bypass it, you should just be able to close the CueMix program and be done with it. Not really sure what the disc is that you have. If it came with it, you more than likely need it
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for responding. So, in order to do a stereo hardware insert with my Motu, I have to return it to a different set of stereo inputs? That means to use a stereo compressor, I'm actually going to be using 4 separate hardware channels? I'm just trying to make sense of this. Because with my 003, I would just put a stereo hardware insert on my stereo bus in Pro Tools and it would work fine. For example, if my hardware insert was channels 3-4, I would patch my outputs 3-4 of the 003 to the stereo ins on my compressor then return the stereo outs of the compressor back to the 003's inputs of 3-4. Do I have to do it differently on the Motu?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

As long as the input is set within the software and also engaged, it doesnt matter if you are using inputs 1 and 2, or any other combination. Output 3 and 4 would run into your stereo compressor's inputs.. The outputs of your compressor would run into inputs 3 and 4, or 5 and 6, or any combination of 2. As long as they are engaged you should be getting a signal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search