The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula R2R in same league as UAD Studer A800 plugin?
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88
true that.. So it's never below 5ms, and yes 32 buffers during tracking is fine, but during mixing it's always better to increase the buffer to 512 or even to 1024 as latency wouldn't matter much then
I think you have a typo, latency IS below 5 ms, it is 2.1ms round trip.

Yes, I didn't mention that when I unfreeze for mixing, I also loosen up the latency usually 256-1024 depending on the plugin count / resource usage, etc.
Old 12th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
That's with buffers at 32 and double buffering unchecked.

In other words as tight as it will go.

And it runs just fine that tight as long as I follow the tricks I mentioned earlier.
Yeah, I can run at a 32 buffer, but I have to have very few if any plug-ins, and not an extreme number of tracks. But I'm usually OK with a 64 or 128 buffer for tracking. And so far, I still only do 44.1 projects because I load them pretty heavily and want all the plug-in and bus power I can get.
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
I think you have a typo, latency IS below 5 ms, it is 2.1ms round trip.

Yes, I didn't mention that when I unfreeze for mixing, I also loosen up the latency usually 256-1024 depending on the plugin count / resource usage, etc.
hmm sorry i miss read what you typed, thought you said 7ms in/out.

so you get 0.7 ms latency????? LOL okay mate what ever you say
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Oops... sorry... didn't see your question. I use the typical ITB slutz plug-ins... Sonalksis, Waves, Softube, pretty much all Plug-in Alliance, PSP, Lexicon, Eventide, FabFilter, Audio Damage, DDMF, Nugen, U-he, Klanghelm, UBK, Abbey Road, Powercore VSS3, DVR2, MD3, Brickwall, NonLin2, CL1B... plus tons of "effects" plug-ins. But there's still nothing like topping any of 'em off with something like Nebula with Doc Fear, Fenix, PoolTeq, Alex B's Tape & Saturation, Peak-200A, Drum Compressor, Henry Olonga's Buzzard, Cupwise Temolos, or especially any VNXT reverbs, or the new CDSoundmaster Nebula powered Vintage Tube & Tube Booster plug-ins. Any new algorithmic VST EQs, compressors, reverbs, saturation have to be pretty special for me to even want them any more, because I know the ones I already have, topped off with Nebula where needed, get me about anywhere I wanna go.

Oh yeah... and PC is i7-960, Win7 x64, 12GB RAM, Powercore PCI x2.
wow you almost got all the decent plugins in the market ! would be awesome if you had the time to do some shootouts between them
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88
so you get 0.7 ms latency????? LOL okay mate what ever you say
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base

Check the above and scroll down past the bar graphs to the tables.

The Lynx is the second table -- check the numbers at 32 -- about 2.1 ms RTL (round trip latency)

Your AIO is the third table, looks like you are double buffered as the numbers are almost exactly twice the Lynx numbers at 32.
Old 12th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
wow you almost got all the decent plugins in the market ! would be awesome if you had the time to do some shootouts between them
Ha ha!... yeah... it would be awesome if I had enough time to do that. But even if I did (have that much time), I'm sure I'd spend it doing something else... like playing, recording, arranging, editing, mixing, etc. ...or constantly checking Gearslutz to make sure I don't miss anything !
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base

Check the above and scroll down past the bar graphs to the tables.

The Lynx is the second table -- check the numbers at 32 -- about 2.1 ms RTL (round trip latency)

Your AIO is the third table, looks like you are double buffered as the numbers are almost exactly twice the Lynx numbers at 32.
it clearly says "" I/O NOT reporting AD/DA latency """ which is exactly what i said, do NOT trust DAW readings only, conversion adds MORE latency than you think. i think you should've read the charts carefully. whereas my card reports the latency including the conversion (as the chart says) and i get the exact reading on the DAW but i still wont trust it as i am pretty sure my DAC-1 adds a few more ms .. but at the end its perfectly fine to deal with this latency at this buffer size. cheers
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Well, according to Lynx engineering, and these guys have always been straight up with me.

Aurora Converter Latency - Lynx Support Forum

So at 44.1 it's something like 26 samples total for the hardware, call it 32 for convenience and to allow for buss speed, memory access, etc. - probably allowing way more than is needed.

So there's where the 3 numbers came from
.7 in
.7 internal conversion latency
.7 out
2.1 ms total

It seems to me someone has verified this with a loop back test, I'll go see if I can find it.
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Just did my own loop back test, here are the results:

Stock -- about 34 samples delay -- this appears to be the internal latency of the card -- right about .7 ms.

Told Reaper NOT to use the audio driver reported latency for both input and output, and left the manual compensation numbers at 0.

About 100 samples delay, pretty damn close to 32 + 32 + 34 = 98.

So yeah, I'd say the best I can do is about 2.1 ms round trip -- just verified it.

Then, after recording, Reaper auto adjusts to leave just the card delay -- about .7 ms @ 44.1 if compensation is enabled.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search