The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can Windows users change their default MIDI sounds?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Can Windows users change their default MIDI sounds?

Can anyone tell me if there is an improved replacement for the MS GS wavetable sw synth - like under Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices / Midi music playback?
I'm wondering if it's possible to change the default MIDI soundfont (it is a soundfont), to a more high-end soundfont.
I was hoping the process might be something like:

Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices (or Audio HQ) -> Properties -> Browse -> Cool Soundfont pack.sf2 -> OK.

Few years ago I have had a Sound Blaster Audigy 2, and it was possible.( I use a Profire 610 now).

Or, in alternative, can you suggest me a small cheap piece of hardware piece to do this? I don't need professional sound, just something accettable, I need it only for karaoke/vocal training purpose
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The windows 'default' midi playback device is a FM emulator that emulates GM/GS soundsets iirc, and is not based on soundfonts. It's there for 'compatibility'.

Your audigy2 had native soundfont support including memory for the soundfonts, and the ability to target that as a 'default midi device' under windows. Some soundcards will still have this, but it's obviously not native to windows (afaik.) Quicktime (iirc) also installs a GM/GS soundset but that launches quicktime for playback.

If you're wanting to get away from that then you are probably looking at a free 'midi' player of some sort with a midi loopback device or something set as the target in windows (meaning the player will need to be running or a background process.)
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

I have to tell the couple of hundred members of a local computer group on Monday about my first experiences with Win7 and we are quite a few hours ahead of the US here in Australia.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Try Yamaha Soft Synthesizer S-YXG50 2.0

It's old, but works great. Never felt a need to upgrade to something newer/better.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/soft/506872/
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the gentle answers.
I've installed Yamaha Soft Synthesizer S-YXG50 2.0 but it don't work with Profire 610, I've googled and seems it works only with few audio cards.

The MS GS wavetable sw synth of Windows use a particoular type of file,closely related to the soundfonts family , but as valis (great nick, I am a P.K. Dick fan!) wrote is not a sf2 , it's DLS file ( GM.DLS ) stored in the system32\drivers folder:
DLS format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have found this guide to replace it. Essentially it should be replaced disabling the System File Checker or editing the windows registry.

I haven't still tested it, I'm not the kind of person that modify important settings without backup and a deep knowledge of what I'm doing stike
If it will not work I'll buy a secondhand USB Sound Blaster (50€ or less on Ebay) and I'll use it to play midi thumbsup
I'll let you know if it works, thanks again for the suggestions

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search