The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Pro & Monitor Communication Problem Studio Headphones
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Mac Pro & Monitor Communication Problem

Guys

This is something that has bugged me for ages but as it wasn't critical I didn't explore solutions further. However recently it has really started to piss me off so I thought I would ask for some feedback on what I should do

When I start up my machine (a Mac pro 8Core 3GHz machine that is a couple of years old now) I often don't get the apple icon coming up on my screen but after a long wait I get an icon that looks like a side profile of the mac pro with a question mark in the middle of it (see attached screenshot)

Anybody know what the issue is?
Attached Thumbnails
Mac Pro & Monitor Communication Problem-macissueicon.jpg  
Old 21st December 2010
I could be wrong but I think that means the machine can't find the OS to boot from.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Right... it's not a monitor issue, but an OS / hard drive issue.

Back up ASAP and then try these:

Repair permissions
Repair drive using disk utility (off the install disc)
Get a copy of Disk Warrior and run that on the OS drive.

Good luck!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks Guys, much appreciated

I'll give these things a try

I also noticed that my OS Drive is in Bay 3...!!! (a tech installed the whole rig for me 2 years ago), could this be an issue?.., ie it looks for the OS Drive in Bay 1 first? I've also got a 2TB Time Machine attached so it's probably going around the block a couple of times before it finds the OS

Thanks again

C
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Right... it's not a monitor issue, but an OS / hard drive issue.

Back up ASAP and then try these:

Repair permissions
Repair drive using disk utility (off the install disc)
Get a copy of Disk Warrior and run that on the OS drive.

Good luck!
Please, please, stay away from Disk Warrior. I can't count the number of problems I've seen because of the fact that DW changes your HD without asking for it. And it sometimes repairs real problems, but it fails often too.

The first thing to check is the PRAM battery. Clear the PRAM settings by starting up with the command (apple), option (alt), P and R keys pressed until you hear the "boiing" startup sound twice.

If you have a DMM, you could take out the battery and measure the voltage. It should read 3.5 V or a bit more.

Repairing permissions won't help either. Permissions don't play BEFORE the OS has started.

It could be your HD slowly dying, so make sure your backup is up to date. Also, check if the SATA cables are properly seated.

Your OS disk being in bay 3 shouldn't be a problem. I am a bit anal, so I always put OS HD's in bay 1, but that's only a convenience for other tech's.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Ok guys just fyi it turned out to be the Bay order of the hard drives that was causing the issue.

I swapped the OS Drive into Bay 1 and all is well

Thanks for the assistance
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search