The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So whats the deal with Waves?? Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

So whats the deal with Waves??

If I buy a pack (was thinking about the API set) do I have to keep paying fees or something? I need to get the story straight as I'm put off before I have begun, but suspect that I don't know the full story.

Cheers
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

No. Thank god its not like that. You pay for the plugs. You get 1 year of their Waves Update Plan (WUP) so if in a year they release any updates you'll get them for free. If at the end of the year you choose that you don't want the WUP you don't have to pay for it, if you want it then its an annual fee.

But don't worry about that boring stuff... LISTEN TO THE API PACK!
AHHHHH!
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
No. Thank god its not like that. You pay for the plugs. You get 1 year of their Waves Update Plan (WUP) so if in a year they release any updates you'll get them for free. If at the end of the year you choose that you don't want the WUP you don't have to pay for it, if you want it then its an annual fee.

But don't worry about that boring stuff... LISTEN TO THE API PACK!
AHHHHH!
... don't forget tech support. If you're not "in WUP" (ie, paid up at the time you contact them) you can't have any tech support.

It's not just "free stuff" - significant updates require WUP to be current as well (ie, when they did V6 -> V7 upgrades).

Minor updates/bugfixes generally do not require WUP.

Current WUP also entitles you to the TLC program if you want that (Theft & Loss Coverage - possibly a great idea if you move your iLok around a lot and are prone to losing things!)

Anyway, read here: Wavesupport | Updates | Waves Update Plan (WUP)
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

...watch out for OS updates, as they will probably require WUP if you choose to update your machine.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

If you don't update your OS or DAW, then you could go for a long time without worrying about WUP.

Ideally, you want to time it right. The worst time is to have your WUP expire right before a new OS (Snow Leopard, Windows 7, etc.) comes out. But you can kind of keep track of when these might be coming out. Same with DAW's. For example, Apple has already announced that their next OS, Lion, is coming out next summer. These OS's are updated about every 2 to 2 1/2 years. So if you bought Waves now, your WUP is good through next December. During this time it will cover updates for when Lion comes out. That means most likely you will be fine for the next 2 1/2 years. And if you use Protools, since 9 just came out, that's not likely to change for the next 2 years or so. So in getting Waves now, you probably won't need to worry about renewing WUP for quite a while. There are always exceptions, such as if an OS update suddenly causes something major to have to be fixed in software, but that's rare. The other thing is that often Waves adds new programs to the existing bundles, but that doesn't happen as often in the lower priced bundles.

Also, another option is to upgrade to the next bundle, which gives you a year of WUP on everything. For example, if you bought Waves Gold now, and you did fine with it for 2 years, you might decide to upgrade to Platinum. If you do that, you're also then getting a free year of WUP that covers everything (since everything in Gold is part of Platinum).

So if you work it right, between good timing and upgrades, you could go for a very long time without worrying about WUP.

Of course if you finally get to Mercury, there is no bigger bundle, but on the other hand, every product they come out with is added to Mercury, so you would constantly be getting new products added with that.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
...watch out for OS updates, as they will probably require WUP if you choose to update your machine.
I bought the waves renaissance maxx bundle several years ago. Since then I moved from XP to Vista to Windows 7 64bit on different computers. I never paid for WUP and the only thing I recall that was required to migrate was installing the software and pluggin in the dongle.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you don't update your OS or DAW, then you could go for a long time without worrying about WUP.

Ideally, you want to time it right. The worst time is to have your WUP expire right before a new OS (Snow Leopard, Windows 7, etc.) comes out. But you can kind of keep track of when these might be coming out. Same with DAW's. For example, Apple has already announced that their next OS, Lion, is coming out next summer. These OS's are updated about every 2 to 2 1/2 years. So if you bought Waves now, your WUP is good through next December. During this time it will cover updates for when Lion comes out. That means most likely you will be fine for the next 2 1/2 years. And if you use Protools, since 9 just came out, that's not likely to change for the next 2 years or so. So in getting Waves now, you probably won't need to worry about renewing WUP for quite a while. There are always exceptions, such as if an OS update suddenly causes something major to have to be fixed in software, but that's rare. The other thing is that often Waves adds new programs to the existing bundles, but that doesn't happen as often in the lower priced bundles.

Also, another option is to upgrade to the next bundle, which gives you a year of WUP on everything. For example, if you bought Waves Gold now, and you did fine with it for 2 years, you might decide to upgrade to Platinum. If you do that, you're also then getting a free year of WUP that covers everything (since everything in Gold is part of Platinum).

So if you work it right, between good timing and upgrades, you could go for a very long time without worrying about WUP.

Of course if you finally get to Mercury, there is no bigger bundle, but on the other hand, every product they come out with is added to Mercury, so you would constantly be getting new products added with that.
Waves don't stop working on OS updates. Its a structural overhaul between 32 bit and 64 bit. The OS doesn't matter, its the architecture.

Waves will still work through Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion, XP, Vista, 7. Waves has yet to go 64 bit so we'll see whether or not it'll be free. But it will not stop working with OS updates.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Funny, I remember reading threads here where folks upgraded to Snow Leopard, their Waves plugs took a dive, and they could not update without buying WUP.

Maybe I misread it, and I am too lazy to research it.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Some hate the WUP some love it. I had been using the last non-WUP/non dongle version but a month or so ago they made it worth my while to update... I got the several years of updates plus the WUP for a year at a 40% discount. So now I'm on the WUP too. IF they finish their 64 bit update on schedule, that will be free to those who have a current WUP.

Some argue the value of Waves and show savings in buying this plug here and that plug there but it was far easier not to piss around, buy the tool, get to work, and know that they were all covered by the same company. (I do have a few other plugs from other companies....) Over time several of the companies that used to make plugs have gone away. One hopes that a company with the market penetration of Waves will be around a while.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
Funny, I remember reading threads here where folks upgraded to Snow Leopard, their Waves plugs took a dive, and they could not update without buying WUP.

Maybe I misread it, and I am too lazy to research it.
I'm staying on Leopard for stability at the moment so I cannot comment, but I assume it probably is down to the 64 bit thing.

The Waveshell means that not only can plugins be kinda "hot swapped" at boot (i.e. the DAW won't search for plugins that you don't have or are authorised for) but that as long as the way the DAW communicates with the AU, VST or RTAS architecture the same way, Waves should, in theory, work fine (hence the 64 bit problem).
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys, thanks so much for your feedback.. while it was clearly a short sighted question on my part, I'm glad I asked as it turns out that there is nothing in it that concerns me from what I have reas here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Some argue the value of Waves and show savings in buying this plug here and that plug there but it was far easier not to piss around, buy the tool, get to work, and know that they were all covered by the same company.
Yup, and that is it really, I've spent so much assing around, not only in the software area but hardware also and I have not been spending close to as much time making music.. which is the whole point.

Thanks you all.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Hey guys, thanks so much for your feedback.. while it was clearly a short sighted question on my part, I'm glad I asked as it turns out that there is nothing in it that concerns me from what I have reas here.

Yup, and that is it really, I've spent so much assing around, not only in the software area but hardware also and I have not been spending close to as much time making music.. which is the whole point.

Thanks you all.
Congrats. Go for it. Get the new iLok and hear that API bundle. thumbsup. Listen to the API 2500. Seriously.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search