The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HP Black Pavilion p6653w for running protools 8
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

HP Black Pavilion p6653w for running protools 8

I have a home studio and I am currently using a PPC MDD 2.25Ghz G4 mac to run PTLE 8.0. I don't have the luxury of having my control room and booth in seperate rooms. My G4 fan is so effing loud, even with pillows and blankets around it, I still here it when I solo tracks.

I'm looking on ebay for a mac mini/imac for around 300-400$ to run with but so far nothing solid. Would a HP Black Pavilion p6653w tower suffice for running this in my home studio? I know people love macs, I do too, but the fan is soooooo loud and I can't afford a new mac. Also, I just bought a new mbox and it came with PTLE 8.0.3 and I can't load it on my G4 due to apple not making any updates for power macs anymore. So, would I be ok with using the HP Black Pavilion p6653w tower?

AMD Athlon II 250 dual-core processor

3.0Ghz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache

5GB DDR2 system memory (expandable up to 16GB)

1TB SATA hard drive

LightScribe SuperMulti DVD burner

10/100BaseT Ethernet LAN

ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics

Windows 7

Now, with Protools 8.0.3 being the only recording software on the computer, would that be enough for recording? I need to make a decision soon and I need to get a new cpu to start recording new projects ASAP!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by griff71177; 21st December 2010 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: added ot the thread
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

No way to know, unless someone here has one with your exact hardware. Sounds like an expensive gamble to me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search