The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'quantizing' note pitches in logic?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

'quantizing' note pitches in logic?

This may seem like a strange question, but here's what I'm dealing with:

I like blending live snares and kicks with samples, as many other people do. I'm using Logic 8's audio to MIDI feature, which does a good job, but even after processing the audio to clean it up, I end up having to go clean up the pitches that Logic assigns to the MIDI track that is created. I've been dealing with it by just clicking one note, hitting 'select all following of same pitch', moving it down to where I need it, and repeating with all the other notes... So, this takes a while. I have done some searching and cannot find if there is a way to select all the notes and 'quantize' (I'm sure that's not the correct term) them to a certain pitch. Any knowledge on this matter in your very capable brains?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Just double click the in button on top of the piano roll editor. It should turn black inside. Then select all notes and hit a key on your midi controller or logic's caps lock midi keyboard. All notes will move to the note you just played. You can do it as Logic is playing as well. It will even set velocity.

best of luck.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

That or use a transformer and process your midi parts with (an arrange page transform operation, not using the environment transformer object.)
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Sweet, thanks so much guys, I really and sincerely appreciate it. I've tried figuring this out on my own a few times and got frustrated and decided I had a learning disability, haha.

Thanks again, you saved me a lot of time!

Sean
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

When it comes to Logic many people say the same thing. Ah the sweet irony...
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Cool Coolio !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
Just double click the in button on top of the piano roll editor. It should turn black inside. Then select all notes and hit a key on your midi controller or logic's caps lock midi keyboard. All notes will move to the note you just played. You can do it as Logic is playing as well. It will even set velocity.
That was an awesome tip !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search