The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sound input issues in my computer - Help!! Audio Interfaces
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

sound input issues in my computer - Help!!

Hi - I have started to get issues with quality of sound when recording or even playing sound into my computer.

Now I use an EMU 0404 PCI card - I plug a mackie 402-vlz3 mixer into it.

One day a couple of weeks ago I made a recording and noticed that the sound was not as good - slightly distorted and muddy.

I used different mixers to rule out the fact it could be the mixer and different mics as well - all had the same results in poor sound.

Now my computer plays back music from I-tunes etc perfectly so I thought maybe the input on my sound card had gone bust.

I managed to buy another EMU 0404 last week and guess what - same problem still.

I have tried re-installing the drivers - trying mew leads - no results whatsoever.

I dont know anything about computer hardware- When I listen to myself singing and playing guitar into a mic though my mackie without it connected to my card - it sounds fine - the minute I plug in the tape input and output from the card - the sound is not so great.

But as I said - I got a new EMu card so it cannot be the soundcard, or the mixer, or mics, or leads -

It must be some kind of hardware issue with my computer -

It would be helpful if anyone has any idea because I feel I may have to buy a new computer if I cant get this fixed.

Ross
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

hey guys - I know it is probably not easy to diagnose my problem here, but perhaps some ideas.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

You say it sounds muddy? Could the sample rate be set wrong or something? What is your DAW? Check the sample rate of your PCI card...if it has that option (I don't use PCI cards).

What happened inbetween it working and not working?

Maybe a different output on the mixer?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi - yeah I looked at sample rates and nothing has changed - I record 16 bit 44khz - sometimes use 24 bit.

I didn't alter any settings - have tried re-installing card etc already.

don't think it is mixer - as I tried a different mixer and still got same results.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi all - my problems with this are still here - really dont want to buy a new computer - there must be a fix - it isnt the sound card, mics, or mixer.

Any suggestions - sound playback is fine - the sound is not good even with headphones on before hitting record - my gemini 2 mic sounds like a £30 piece of ****.

ONe thing I want to ask regarding the gemini - could the gemini have blown my mixer? I have the mackie vlz-402 - its a fine mixer I woulnt have thought so. I mean I have the gain set quite low as its a sensitve mic and at no point has the mic even clipped the levels on the mixer.

Suggestions are very much needed here.
Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search