The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware inserts are making my PT9 session sum to mono Audio Interfaces
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hardware inserts are making my PT9 session sum to mono

I am running a session in Pro Tools 9 through a MOTU 896 HD interface. I have it wired into my patchbay and all of the ins and outs of the MOTU are fully normalled. Whenever I put a hardware insert on my stereo bus aux track, the entire session sums down to mono even if my insert isn't actually patched to any hardware. If I move the insert to another track, that track sums to mono and everything else goes back to stereo. I also tried leaving the insert on my stereo bus and switching my patchbay from normal (it stays mono) to thru (the signal stops) and half-normal (mono also). Another thing worth mentioning, If I put the insert on the stereo bus aux, the signal on that aux's meter goes blank and so does the master fader after that aux, but I can still hear the mono signal. Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it? I'm new to MOTU hardware, so could the issue be with MOTU's internal routing? Thanks!
Old 21st December 2010

Sorry if thi is obvious - but you are inserting a "stereo insert" on the channel?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Yeah, it's definitely a stereo insert. I was also thinking that Pro Tools 9 had a way of panning hardware inserts and maybe I'm missing it. Anybody know if this is true?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search