The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best time-stretching plug in? Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Best time-stretching plug in?

I wasn't able to come up with much on searches for this.

I am in PTLE and I have been using the freebie Time Shift plug.

I assume Soundtoys Speed is better...anything else I should try?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok. After doing some more searching I realize I really need to dive into the whole Elastic Audio thing. After all these years I still pretty much use Pro Tools like a tape machine...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Serato Pitch N' Time works great. I think it is the cleanest time tool I've used. I've been manipulating the timing of audio for quite some time, so I have a nice amount of experience. Every since Elastic Audio came out I pretty much changed my whole work flow, and now a days I do stuff much different then I did 5 years ago.

I love the work flow of EA. It's amazing. When I was using PnT I was using the "Cut on Transient, Move Transient, Time Shift to next Transient" method. What a pain in the arse. I don't that the patience for it any more not that EA is solid. My only gripe about EA is I can't even come close to the amount of streatching I could get away with using PnT. And PnT won't work using with the EA workflow.

I'm kinda bumbed cause I can't go back to using the old method with PnT, and EA can't do everything I need it to do. Lots of phase issues with multitrack recordings and EA.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Prosoniq Timefactory is the best, but only stand alone application.

Best integrated in Pro Tools is X-form based on izotopes Radium .
Serato Pitch N Time is good but not in the same league as Prosoniq Timefactory and just slightly behind X-form.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

I have Pitch n Time LE and have been very happy. It's def better than the ITB PT time stretcher. If you can afford PnT PRO I would go that direction.

From what I remember, Serato's quality was above all others in the "studio days" before affordable home recording. Now there may be other alternatives. But just like Aphex owned all others with Aural Exciters... and times may have changed... you still can't go wrong the pioneers of the equipment. Serato was that pioneer.

Back to the
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
I wasn't able to come up with much on searches for this.

I am in PTLE and I have been using the freebie Time Shift plug.

I assume Soundtoys Speed is better...anything else I should try?
X-Form in PT is the best I have ever used. No artifacts on big bpm jumps.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure X-Form is from iZotope Radius.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

There are more timestretch plugs than timestretch algorithms. Under the hood the majority run the same code.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I'm pretty sure X-Form is from iZotope Radius.
I've been using X-Form in PT before Izotope was in biz but maybe they developed it for Avid.

This is a convo I had regarding X-Form and someone using it for the purpose the OP wants.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...ing-pitch.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavano View Post
Under the hood the majority run the same code.
From experience, they are some real bad ones and X-Form is the tops. There are some differences. Some give that flange or cut off drum attacks. X-Form is "perfect" for lack of a better term.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
I've been using X-Form in PT before Izotope was in biz but maybe they developed it for Avid.
X-Form has been around since 2006 and it was always based on iZotope Radius. The algorithm has been upgraded several times, and the latest version can be found built into PT8's Elastic Audio. Radius in X-Form is somewhat lacking configuration. Most adjustments for Radius are available in RX2's Time&Pitch module.
Old 21st December 2010
Izotope Radius is great. Not sure what it's called for PT LE (I'm on Logic Pro).
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

I believe that this company licenses their time stretch algo's to the majority of plug-in/daw products out there.
zplane -- music processing and analysis technology - startpage
Old 21st December 2010
LAU
Gear Maniac

Best time-stretching plug in?

+1 on prosoniq time factory II
Its the very best available.
Downside is stand alone operation, but the result can be really good !

After that comes Xform
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

What about for Cubase or Ableton? whats best to use?
Old 19th January 2011
Here for the gear

Prosoniq time factory II is BY FAR the best time stretch tool I have ever user.

Br,
kd
Old 8th February 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiamond View Post
Prosoniq time factory II is BY FAR the best time stretch tool I have ever user.

Br,
kd
you can't be serious? Mpex isn't even a contender these days. Direc is, which prosoniq include, how ironic, a free algo that beats the pants off their own. Buy wavelab essentials for 1/5th of the price of time factory and use direc that way.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

DIRAC is not free (although it may have a free demo) and it is made by Prosoniq's Stephan Bernsee.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

DIRAC certainly isn't a free algorithm. There is a free LE version which some apps use, which is limited to multi-mono processing instead of phase-locked processing of an arbitrary number of channels, has no formant shifting/correction and lacks some other bits that the higher-end versions of the algo have --- which are far from free.

WRT MPEX 3 it does still have its uses. It definitely sounds less phasey/flangey than most other stretching options.

2ct
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

I have been comparing several ones during the last weeks, and to me, BY FAR, the best was Serato Pitch & Time. Huge difference vs. Logic, Wavelab, Bias and Soundtoys Speed algorithms (please note that I haven't tested Prosoniq, which is supposed to be very good also). And best of all is that it fully integrates with Logic (the LE version).

Expensive? Yes, but worth it? Clearly yes!
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Serato is outdated, it softens transients and makes vocals unnatural due to loss of vertical phase coherence.
You should try DIRAC (e.g. in latest versions of WaveLab) or Radius (in Pro Tools Elastic Time or Audition 3).
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

I actually just demoed Pitch N Time and Radius. Radius took a hell-uv-a lot longer, but the results are a lot better.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Radius is faster-than-realtime for mono and somewhat slower than realtime for stereo.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
Serato is outdated, it softens transients and makes vocals unnatural due to loss of vertical phase coherence.
You should try DIRAC (e.g. in latest versions of WaveLab) or Radius (in Pro Tools Elastic Time or Audition 3).
I tried DIRAC and it sucked big time. I tested extensively with several different tracks (voice, piano, synth,...) and well... Serato might be old, but I don't buy at all that it sounds worse than Wavelab. I found the results from the latest Wavelab quite dissapointing.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

This is quite interesting. Can you give an example or two where Dirac's artifact is most noticeable? I'd be happy to do the Radius for comparison.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

I am away on travel this week but will provide an example (unless my Wavelab demo has expired), in particular a piano track that made all timestrech algos sweat... only Serato provided decent results. Radius and Prosoniq I haven't tested.
Old 26th March 2011
Here for the gear

Serato PnT: At the risk of getting censored....

I hope this is not an inappropriate question but I am very curious: Has anyone ever heard of Serato PnT being "tricked" or "recoded"-by a licensed user (like me, for example)-to run on a DAW platform other than ProTools?
I run it on the M-Powered version but I think it would be so cool to be able to also use it in my Samplitude 11. How hard would this be for a code expert? Anyone know which are the best forums to search for those who may have succeeded?
Old 21st April 2011
Here for the gear

Best Pitch/Time Plugin

[QUOTE=Firechild;6132638]Prosoniq Timefactory is the best, but only stand alone application.

Yeah but I've already sunk to much $$$ into Windows and TimeFactory only
runs on the Mac OS. ARRRRGGGHHHH!!
Old 24th April 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I actually just demoed Pitch N Time and Radius. Radius took a hell-uv-a lot longer, but the results are a lot better.

you're not kidding. P & T is just AWFUL. it was good 10 years ago, barely.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search