The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Pro without warranty Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Mac Pro without warranty

Hi there ...I am contemplating upgrading my recording setup to a Mac Pro. I have already thought about the newer Imac I7 etc. so I understand the arguments for and against this. If I do go for a Mac Pro .....I am also wondering about getting one that is out of warranty to save some $$. Being technically savy etc. on computers ....I wonder about the value of having one of these units under warranty because there is quite a premium to be paid despite the newer processor etc. that will be had with a newer unit. I would probably go for one that is a little over a year old so it is not that out of date as far as technology goes ....but get a good discount because of no warranty. Anybody have input on the value of the Mac warranty on one of these units. I have laptops otherwise and feel the Applecare is worth it on them because of the complexity of repairing these units and because they get carried around a lot. But a Mac Pro would not be hauled around ....and being that I can easily get in it and service it ....I am thinking the warranty is not that much of an issue. Of course if parts are hard to get ...and expensive then that is not true. I would think that major parts such as motherboard etc. are in it for the long haul though on these units. Thx for any input. RH
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

don't ever buy Mac "anything" without the warranty. You will save $249 now but it will cost you more than that in the future.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
don't ever buy Mac "anything" without the warranty. You will save $349 now but it will cost you more than that in the future.
"But Macs are so perfect! What could possibly go wrong?"

()
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I always buy Applecare with my macs. My laptop was messed up right out of the gate and has had a few issues. This is a 4 year old machine though (and it's still running). My Mac Pro has been fine other than a dvd drive that bit the dust and was replaced via apple care. I guess it depends on how much $ you're actually saving by getting it used. When it comes to electronics it's usually worth getting it new just for the warranty.
Old 20th December 2010
for me since I earn my living with my computer Apple care never was worth it, mainly because I needed my computer fixed NOW, and when it's just warranty repair you wait.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
for me since I earn my living with my computer Apple care never was worth it, mainly because I needed my computer fixed NOW, and when it's just warranty repair you wait.
Word. For the laptop repair they were real fast, like within a week using express shipping. I could see that if my main machine went down and I was swamped with work that I would just have to bite the bullet and get it fixed or buy a new one. It's never happened though in 13 years (knock on hard drive).
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

I guess a relevant question/addendum to this ....is how many people experience major problems with Mac Pros. Yeah ...I am not going to be "penny wise and pound foolish" here. Would not even think of a laptop/Imac at this time without a warranty because of the complexity of tearing apart/putting these things back together. But Mac Pro is different IMO. I have a 10 year old Compaq Desktop PC that the main problem is out of date technology .....and I am still swapping out hard drives/cd burners etc. when they go bad. Not a big deal and I bought an extended warranty on it and never used it. I cannot believe a Mac Pro would be any different regarding motherboard etc. Apple support for software issues etc. is a different story ...I hold Applecare in high regard at this time.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by headrc View Post
I guess a relevant question/addendum to this ....is how many people experience major problems with Mac Pros. Yeah ...I am not going to be "penny wise and pound foolish" here. Would not even think of a laptop/Imac at this time without a warranty because of the complexity of tearing apart/putting these things back together. But Mac Pro is different IMO. I have a 10 year old Compaq Desktop PC that the main problem is out of date technology .....and I am still swapping out hard drives/cd burners etc. when they go bad. Not a big deal and I bought an extended warranty on it and never used it. I cannot believe a Mac Pro would be any different regarding motherboard etc. Apple support for software issues etc. is a different story ...I hold Applecare in high regard at this time.
The vast majority of the time, they're fine.

If you get a lemon though, and the logic board goes a 13 months after your bought it - that' s $500-800 repair.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Mac Pro without warranty

As someone that just received a 2010 6 core as a replacement for an ailing 08 2.8 8 core.... I wouldn't think of getting a Mac w/o AppleCare.

They ok'd me to pay the $200 price difference between the currant 8 core ( the one they offered as a replacement ) and the 6 core ( the one I preferred ),
It was a long road but felt treated well in the end.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

MM ....is the new one with another warranty? Also ...what was wrong with the 6 core ....and BTW why do you prefer a 6 core over an 8 core? Whole different topic I know.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search