The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making a MAJOR change... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Making a MAJOR change...

I am a long time PC user and keyboard player. I have an old 32bit machine in the studio with Windows XP and several hardware synths all of which are beginning to have more hairs that are gray than not. I've done some searches on this, but can't get a clear firm answer. Here is the question....

I am planning on going to a Macbook Pro for studio and live use. All except one hardware synth are hitting the road. I will have one firewire drive for samples, one for audio data and my firewire device (MR816). I mostly record no more than 2-3 tracks at a time, but I do track drums at times. If I have these daisy chained will I have enough bandwidth to avoid dropouts? And, will my latency using softsynths (Ivory, Omnisphere, etc.) be acceptable for studio and live use?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am not sure if that would be a good idea, since there is only the one port you are using.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yep. That's why I want to make sure before I make the plunge. I have been assured by the salespeople it will work, but they're... you know... salespeople...

I do know people do this from old posts, but I'm hoping to hear from someone who's done it recently and had it work well with low latency. I will be going to Logic....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search