The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why the latency?
Old 19th December 2010
Cool Why the latency?

Hello.

I'm running Cubase 5.1 on Windows 7 64BIT. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. It's working quite well, however, today i was recording drums, 6 chanels with a buffer size of 128 which was fine when recording with no inserts. However as soon as i started putting inserts on the drums such as gates and compression the latency became ridiculous, half a second i'd say.

My PC is all tuned up for audio, i followed the focusrite guide.

I have an Intel Quad Core I7-870 processor, and 8gb of ram. also i have a texas instruments firewire card as recommended by focusrite.

In total, the inserts i had on was 4x waves VEQ, 1x Waves C-Comp, 1x Waves C-Gate, Altiverb as a send and SSL Comp on a group track.

Surely i have enough power for the computer not to be beefing. What do you think?

Nathan.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Welcome to why people buy TDM rigs. That's how native systems act.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

The plugs induce latency, ergo, you get latency.
Old 19th December 2010
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Welcome to why people buy TDM rigs. That's how native systems act.
I don't really know that means.

Nathan.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

TDM is a hardware system that is driven by a software GUI. Any time you use native computer processing you will get latency--it's not just the proc you're waiting on--it's the data to be shipped around the consumer intended computer system's busses.

Just turn on hardware/direct monitoring and save teh FX for mix time where the software can autocompensate by sending streams out early to make up for the latency of plugs. Hopefully correctly.

Or hardware solutions are cheap. I have a fairly haus quad core intel Cubase 64bit box...I use an Akai DPS24 to track and mix audio. I saw one sell the other day locally for like $700!!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Also...sorry-I assumed you would know what a TDM system is--Avid/Digi's "HD" solutions--the $15-50k hardware that goes into a computer, which in turn just runs the GUI for it.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
Hello.

I'm running Cubase 5.1 on Windows 7 64BIT. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. It's working quite well, however, today i was recording drums, 6 chanels with a buffer size of 128 which was fine when recording with no inserts. However as soon as i started putting inserts on the drums such as gates and compression the latency became ridiculous, half a second i'd say.

My PC is all tuned up for audio, i followed the focusrite guide.

I have an Intel Quad Core I7-870 processor, and 8gb of ram. also i have a texas instruments firewire card as recommended by focusrite.

In total, the inserts i had on was 4x waves VEQ, 1x Waves C-Comp, 1x Waves C-Gate, Altiverb as a send and SSL Comp on a group track.

Surely i have enough power for the computer not to be beefing. What do you think?

Nathan.
Find a DAW that does Automatic Delay Compensation well with plugins. Logic pro and PT9 are good. Some plugs have delays some don't.
Old 19th December 2010
Question

Fair play.

So how come when earlier we were recording vocals and everything was fine, even though there was another 10 tracks playing loaded with inserts and sends, and VSTi's etc.

nathan.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
Fair play.

So how come when earlier we were recording vocals and everything was fine, even though there was another 10 tracks playing loaded with inserts and sends, and VSTi's etc.

nathan.
playing back thru inserted plugins is compensated by ADC. recording thru plugins will give you delay. Don't record thru plugins and direct monitor thru your interface as stated by popmann.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocell View Post
Find a DAW that does Automatic Delay Compensation well with plugins. Logic pro and PT9 are good. Some plugs have delays some don't.
You're missing the point - he's tracking, not mixing...
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemix View Post
You're missing the point - he's tracking, not mixing...
Oopps!!!! My bad... Well read quotes from popmann & work2do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
playing back thru inserted plugins is compensated by ADC. recording thru plugins will give you delay. Don't record thru plugins and direct monitor thru your interface as stated by popmann.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search