The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mbox Pro Audio Interfaces
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

Mbox Pro

So I got the new Mbox Pro and PT 9 Crossgrade to go along with my new iMac. I installed everything. When I started up the Mbox the iMac didn't recognize it. Spoke with Avid they told me to go out and buy a different firewire cable which I did with the same results. I am waiting to hear back from them to see what the next move will be. It looks like my mbox will be going back. Very frustrating. Anybody else have similiar issues with it?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

did you install the mbox pro drivers from the avid website? they are not included in the PT 9 software install.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...3=1450&Hilite=
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Angry

I did. Avid customer support leaves a lot to be desired BTW. Ugh!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Finally got someone on the phone. They are sending me a new MBox. To be continued.....
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Unhappy

We bought a new MBox Pro from Sweetwater last week. Comes with ProTools LE 8.0.4.

Out of the Box, it doesn't work (BOO).

Software installs fine, box seems to power up. But we keep running into DAE Error -6006

Tried everything on the net we could find. Going to post everything we found here in case some other warm body wants to follow this trail. We are sending this one back where it came from.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/com.instranet.InstraServlet?Command=com.instranet.CmdDocVote&Redirect=/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp&DocId=336591&UEL_DocVote_DocId=336591&UEL_DocVote_Rating=5&UEL_DocVote_VotedDocExtIds=&Module=selfservice

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=378391

DAE error -6006 on launch of Pro Tools M-Powered on Win XP machine. Pro Tools will not launch.
The error means one of the following things happened:
* The driver failed to start (i.e. we called start but didn’t get any callbacks for five seconds). If there’s a five second delay before the error message, then this is what’s going on.
* The driver issued an unexpected / unsupported reset request. (That shouldn’t be the case for a firewire device unless it gets hotplugged or something.)
* The driver failed to respond to getBufferSize or getSampleRate calls. Again, not likely if the device is otherwise healthy. Most common causes are:
* Running Windows XP Service Pack 1. (Update to SP2)
* Incompatible Firewire card/port. (Install a qualified Firewire card)
* Insufficient Bus Power. (See the M-Audio Knowledgebase article) Here are some tips on further debugging:
* Confirm that the device works as expected in some other ASIO application.
* Try a different firewire port and/or cable.
* Select some *other* sound device as the default device in the control panel.

Description of 4-pin Firewire vs 6-pin Firewire:
4 pin vs 6 pin FireWire IEEE1394 | Support | Rain Computers
The 6-pin powered connector adds power output to support external devices. Typically a device can pull about 7 to 8 watts from the port however the voltage varies significantly from different devices. So 2 of the 4 pins in a 6-pin FireWire IEEE1394 port are for power. Therefore a 4-pin port does not supply power. But they both offer the same performance.

Other forum threads:
DAE error 6006 - Avid Audio Forums

Dae Error 6006
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteadle View Post
We bought a new MBox Pro from Sweetwater last week. Comes with ProTools LE 8.0.4.

Out of the Box, it doesn't work (BOO).

Software installs fine, box seems to power up. But we keep running into DAE Error -6006

Tried everything on the net we could find. Going to post everything we found here in case some other warm body wants to follow this trail. We are sending this one back where it came from.
Seems like you have an incompatible firewire chip. You are on PC?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Angry

Avid just sent me a replacement in a very timely matter. One problem with this one.......... it won't power up! DOA! UGH!!!!!!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumtracks View Post
Avid just sent me a replacement in a very timely matter. One problem with this one.......... it won't power up! DOA! UGH!!!!!!
Are you serious? This cannot be.

I've been keeping the occasional eye out for mbox3/mbox3 pro reviews, but they all seem to end the same way.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Are you serious? This cannot be.

I've been keeping the occasional eye out for mbox3/mbox3 pro reviews, but they all seem to end the same way.
Same here. I hear the Mackie Onyx Blackbird has great converters and pres for around the same cash. You'd sacrifice being able to hear reverb in your phones, but you'd have some nice pres and converters and second-generation drivers.

I like the direction Avid took, but they have some shaking out to do - their recommended Windows setups for PT9 have huge mistakes.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Sad but true. I have to wait til Monday to get them on the phone too! This sucks!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Angry

Avid just sent me a third Mbox Pro. My Imac is not reading this one either! Any suggestions? Anyone from Avid on here? This is crazy.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Avid Audio Forums - Powered by vBulletin Best bet for forum help.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

Apparently it was the firewire port. It was working when I bought the computer a month ago. According to the technician the mbox fried the logic board. He said he has heard this happen before. He replaced it and the computer is now reading the mbox. Anyone else have this issue? Now I just have to figure out how to use PT 9.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

The sample track plays through my computer speakers not my headphones or monitors. When I try to record a new track,I get a response from the LED on the mbox but not on the screen. Also no sound. I'm sure it's a setup issue. I just can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Seems like you have an incompatible firewire chip. You are on PC?
Yes. My box is a HP DV8T-1000 running Windows 7 64bit.

I worked with Sweetwater support, and an engineer named Kyle there was able to provide a utility that examined my firewire chipset. He said that my chipset (JBL?) was incompatible.

I sent it back, and got an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R and ProTools 9.

NOW, who the hell invented iLOK?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search