The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question on Recovering Data DAW Software
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Question on Recovering Data

I posted this last week and received some helpful responses:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After some warning signs in the last few weeks (not ejected properly, drive icon disappearing from desktop) my Lace BigDisk Extreme 1TB Drive is now seemingly gone forever. No backup.

Not ejected properly warnings were inappropriate as I never unplugged it ... icon disappearing - I simply pulled to power supply pin out of the back and re-inserted it and it came back. Now it-s gone. Lacie is sending a new power supply to me but they don't think that's the issue here, claimed it is most likely a "logical" issue (sounds software related) ... the current power supply brick light blinks very faintly .. when tech support asked me to pull the ps pin out of the drive, the current power supply brick light lit up green.

Lacie has quoted $600 to recover the data which is a bit pricey.

Would any forum members have had any simiiar experiences with Lacie drives? Any advice on what to do, where to turn?

Are there any alternatives to recovering the data should the power supply not be at fault here, which seems likely?

BTW - this is a firewire 400/800/USB drive into a new macbook pro .. drive purchased 3/2008.

Thanks,

Donny
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've received the new p/s from Lacie and it did nothing so I'm ready to move forward and am looking at 2 possibilities:

1>Buy the current version of the Lacie that I have and swap out the disks, so that I can at least get to the data. I believe that the current version is the:
d2 Quadra Hard Disk 1 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 .. does anyone know for sure?

2>Buy the Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSATA USB Dual Hard Drives Docking Station AND insert one of the drives (or both) into it to recover the data.
Also buy a Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 1TB 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache Internal Hard Drive for storage (using the Duet) going forward.

Does anyone know if either of these will work and which would be the least painful to deal with?

Lastly, I cannot get the screw off of the back of my dead Lacie drive .. at 1st, it appeared to be a small phillips head but it turns out it's not. What tool do I need to get it off? tutt

Thanks in advance to all.

Donny
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

I don't wish to be a nay sayer, but I would approach this carefully as there are many possible pitfalls that may mean you will have a difficult time.

If the old drive is the one I think [ http://www.lacie.com/download/datash..._triple_en.pdf ], this uses 2 drives to get the stated capacity in a RAID 0 format, and are very possibly parallel ATA (IDE) drives. The RAID 0 format interleaves data between the 2 drives, which could make it impossible to recover the data without both drives able to operate. Since you've ruled out the power supply, the other prime suspects are the enclosure interface card, and the individual drives with their associated drive cards and mechanics.

My best guess is that any modern drive enclosure equivalent in size today will have a single SATA (serial ATA) drive - a totally different connector than IDE/PATA, and incompatible with that PATA RAID 0 system.

Take the cover off the dead drive box. Mine at work only have 2 small philips at each end of the rear cover IIRC, with one under a security sticker. Possibly they started using Torx screws for more tamper resistance.

Inside - two 3.5inch drive mechanisms? A very wide flat ribbon cable (40 conductor) going to each drive?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not to hijack the thread... but why are external drives so prone to failure anymore? Is it cheap manufacturing methods? I keep hearing about people with drive failures, losing important musical data... Indeed, my own 1 year-old external drive (Western Digital) is acting up... yes, I'm nervous
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Another LaCie victim. The second one in a couple of days on GearSlutz...

Buy a decent USB or FW case for your disk. Place the disk in it. It doesn't need to be anything fancy.

Download Data Rescue III's demo from here:

Computer Data Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac - Data Rescue 3

The demo can tell you if your data is recoverable with a 99.9% certainty. If so, buy the soft. It's probably the most valuable in your toolkit.

LaCie used to be great stuff. Over here, their support is next to non-existant. It's one student, another one every month and they do nothing. And I see the power supplies failing far too much on these drives. It's just rubbish, nowadays.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Not to hijack the thread... but why are external drives so prone to failure anymore? Is it cheap manufacturing methods? I keep hearing about people with drive failures, losing important musical data... Indeed, my own 1 year-old external drive (Western Digital) is acting up... yes, I'm nervous
Don't be nervous. Get another case. Drives are reliable. The case are not. My experiences with the latest WD externals are good, but I only have a dozen or so, in four different batches...

I don't buy externals for archiving anymore. I bought a cheap Chinese USB dock that takes two 3.5 or 2.5" drives and buy just "naked" drives. Cheap, convenient and if the dock dies, the drives are still safe.
Have a look here:

ThinkGeek :: External USB SATA Drive Dock
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Reply to GLouie ...

Yes, that's the one.

I don't have a "torx" screwdriver but will try to find one tomorrow

You're right ... inside are 2-500GB drives using Raid 0

I'm still under warranty and can get a new one from them, but I have to give up the drive and lose the data (unless I pay them the $600, which I won't)

I'd prefer to recover the data myself and forget the warranty if possible .. if not, I'll take a new drive ..

That's is my predicament ...

You seem to know this well ... is recovering the data a fools errand?

Can I just plug both drives into a dual dock (Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSATA USB Dual Hard Drives Docking Station) and get to the data?

Can I just buy the current model drive (d2 Quadra Hard Disk 1 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0) swap the drives and access the data?

Can I just buy the identical model drive (used on ebay) swap the drives and access the data?

Again, advice is appreciated as I need to decide soon

Thanks,

Donny
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Don't be nervous. Get another case. Drives are reliable. The case are not.
I've resurrected 6 or 7 drives by removing them from their original cases and placing them into a different case. It was the case which failed (the I/O board or power supply), not the drive.
Old 20th December 2010
Question on Recovering Data

Well, your chances of recovering have gone down since it was raid 0.

There is a handful of sw out there that can reconstruct a raid 0 stripes, but it's about 200$.

Unless that data was making you money, move on. Otherwise pay the $600 (which is cheap for data recovery )
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

I tend to agree with djgizmo.

Yes, if you open the case, I think you will void your warranty with LaCie. When I get to the office, I'll look at my units for the screw type.

Next, there is little chance a dual dock can read the RAID 0 formatted data, as the data is interleaved between both drives, and AFAIK the dock simply connects 2 drives to the computer. I think you would need special control circuitry or software or both to read the format. This assumes the actual drives are OK and the case is the problem.

The current model D2 probably is incompatible with your old D2. New ones likely use only one drive inside, no RAID, and a different drive connection system (SATA instead of PATA/IDE).

If the problem is just the enclosure drive circuit, then seeking the identical vintage case on eBay and swapping drives might work. You might then find that the case is OK and one or both drives is the problem. Then you are definitely SOL without major expense. This drive can probably be gotten cheaply, as lots of them were probably tossed only because of failed power supplies, and the cases/drives are OK. LaCie seemed to have problems with that era power supply.

What some posters forget here is that the old drive is really 2 in RAID 0, which is obsolete in new cases of the same capacity. Swapping single drives of the same connector type is trivial. Recovery software could help if you can get everything running, that is the drives spin and are recognized by the computer, but the RAID 0 format could complicate things.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Those Lacie drives are a real pain, very unreliable.

The RAID is a problem, and the fact that the RAID is controlled by the board in the chassis. Even if you were to connect both to a computer the RAID wouldn't 'appear'.

You should buy the same drive and swap the drives over as a last ditch attempt.

The only good news is that both the drives in the unit will be exactly the same (at least in all of these type drives I have opened they are the same) - same drive type, firmware, capacity etc. So you can swap the bridge boards over on the drives if one doesn't work, and image the contents over to a new drive.
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

Data Lost

I lost over 740GBs of work I did in Pro Tools and Reason. Biggest Headache every!
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

The biggest killer of hard drive mechanisms in external cases is heat. Unfortunately many external cases have very poor thermal design. In the future try to remember this when buying an external drive or enclosure. Look for an enclosure with a fan and an onboard power supply with an IEC mains power receptacle. The second major cause of failure is related to unreliable power connectivity.

Another rule to remember is buy twice as many drives as you think you need. If you can't afford to back it up you can't afford to record it!

Good luck with the recovery.
Old 7th January 2011
vfr
Gear Maniac

I have had nothing but trouble with RAID 0 and i will never configure nor purchase any product that's RAID 0! dfegad

You would likely have a lot of trouble restoring this RAID 0 array yourself, and $600 is actually cheap for this task. Whether or not its worth it to you is another question...

I have also had trouble with cheap drive enclosures. I agree with audioboffin; most of them run too hot and die prematurely.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search