The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
advise on buying a new computer needed,, DAW Software
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

advise on buying a new computer needed,,

Hi guys ,

I'm looking for some advise on buying a new computer for my studio .

I've been running an old g4 mix plus system for some time now , though I think it is finally waving the white flag .

I need to review my computer set up options pretty quickly as it is my sole form of income and very important for me .

I have three apogee AD8000 and a big ben clock , which I believe I will now be able to run with pro tools 9 . I have been told I need to buy some Lynx PCIe connecter cards ? ( Would be great if anyone could help with this ? ).

Then in regards to a new computer , I need a system I can track and mix bands on . Does anyone have experience doing this on pt 9 yet ? and how stable is it tracking with plugs in on etc ?

I've always been a mac user , but have been advised I can get a 6 core 3.33 ghz PC ( which is faster than 8 core apparently ) for much less than the mac equivalent which is just as stable ?

Would really appreciate any advise on this , as for my business , I really need to get this right .

Thanks ,

Brett Shaw
Old 19th December 2010
mds
Lives for gear

Since it is your business, I'd stick with a real mac rather than a Hackintosh. I know there are success stories, but there are more potential issues than just using the Apple product.

The sweet spot in the Apple lineup is the Hexacore Mac, in my opinion. High clock speed and a couple extra cores. That said, I have a 4 core 2010 and its been great in my setup. 8 cores are also an option...I'd basically figure out what your budget is and just buy the most computer you can for that money. Any new Mac Pro will get the job done, but you can never have too much power, ya know?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

great , thanks for the advise ,

But would I have to run Hackintosh ? Could I not just run straight out of windows ?

I will look in to the hexacore ,

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
Since it is your business, I'd stick with a real mac rather than a Hackintosh. I know there are success stories, but there are more potential issues than just using the Apple product.

The sweet spot in the Apple lineup is the Hexacore Mac, in my opinion. High clock speed and a couple extra cores. That said, I have a 4 core 2010 and its been great in my setup. 8 cores are also an option...I'd basically figure out what your budget is and just buy the most computer you can for that money. Any new Mac Pro will get the job done, but you can never have too much power, ya know?
Old 20th December 2010
mds
Lives for gear

Oh, yes, you could run windows. I thought you wanted to run Mac.

I personally prefer a Mac, but windows works for a lot of people. Studios, at least in LA, still run Macs almost exclusively for protools...that may or may not mean anything to you.

If you're comfortable on a PC and it meets your needs, it should be fine.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
Oh, yes, you could run windows. I thought you wanted to run Mac.

I personally prefer a Mac, but windows works for a lot of people. Studios, at least in LA, still run Macs almost exclusively for protools...that may or may not mean anything to you.

If you're comfortable on a PC and it meets your needs, it should be fine.
Ok Thanks man ,

I would love to stay with mac but pricing things up I think I can get a 6 core 3.33ghz PC for around £1500 and the same spec mac for around £3000 .

If I only use the thing to turn on and open pro tools , then I guess the operating system isn't too important ?

I've always used mac , and this is the first time I have considered a PC .

I'm guessing with all the processing power being native on PT9 , it is best to get all the power you can for the best price .

I would be interested to know the genuine benefits of the PC or MACs with the same power etc . IF it is stability i would have to consider buying the MAC , but from what I hear windows7 runs things fine .

Also the getting a cheaper work station means it is going to be easier to buy a new one every two or three years and keep doubling the power.

would be interested on hearing any opinions on this subject

Thank again ,

Brett
Old 20th December 2010
mds
Lives for gear

The Mac vs PC is hotly debated ad nauseum on this and many boards. Do a search and be prepared for a lot of angry discussion, haha.

I personally prefer Macs. In my considerable computing experience (used to be a systems admin for a large PC based network) I find them more stable. When I was a PC user I felt the need to do a clean reinstall about once a year...I never do that on my Macs. I prefer the Mac OS too...just simpler, cleaner, etc. All totally my opinion and experience, of course...

PCs are a heck of a lot cheaper...since Apple uses workstation class hardware in the Mac Pro its a lot more money. You can get comparable consumer grade PC parts for way less money...that savings may be worth it. I will say, though, that a Mac Pro holds its value MUCH better. '08 Mac Pros are still selling for around $2k for the base config. The comparable PC is probably a third of that.

Bottom line, is either way you should be fine. I might nudge you in the Mac direction based on my personal preference and the fact you're already a Mac user, but you'd likely do just fine with a PC as well.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search