The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My PPC Mac Is A Dog On The Internet -- Help! Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Angry My PPC Mac Is A Dog On The Internet -- Help!

Not exactly a music question, per se, but since I use the internet for receipt and delivery of my work, I think it falls here.

I'm running my software on a Dual 2 GHz PPC G5 with 4.5 GB of RAM and OX 10.5.8. Love this machine, and so far have no reason to upgrade for ProTools 9. About a month ago, it became almost completely unusable on the internet, and while my Mac Mail program will receive emails, I can't send emails anymore. .mac uploads (through Goliath) work fine, but any web-based work (including the FireFTP plug-in) is intolerably slow. I'm using the latest version of FireFox, but have the same issue with Safari.

I've run the network diagnostics program, and also tried resetting the MTU manually, all to no avail.

Any other suggestions?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Create a new account a give it a try.
Old 19th December 2010
What router are you using?
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Asus wl-520gu

Been using an Asus WL-520GU for about a year. As I said, this only started happening in the last month. Thanks.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

For Mail, have you checked in your account settings if the smtp port is still on 25?

Some Apple updates tend to change that to port 110. You could also try to re-enter your password there.

I have no idea about the rest though. 10.5 has dynamic settings for the network - and a mind of it's own on what they should be. Have you tried disabling the OSX firewall?

BTW. Is your connection wireless or with a cable?
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

My Network Connection

...is hard wired to the router. Thanks for the other suggestions, Cyrano. I'll give that a try.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Do a speed check on your line at Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed - there are many others on the net too.

I get about 5mb down and 500kb up (which isn't great, but ok).

Otherwise I'd check your router with another computer and see what the net connection is like using that.

With your email I think .mac (and mobile me) uses SSL so check that this is checked on in the SMTP advanced section of your mail.app preferences. This doesn't explain the FTP problem though, and they will probably be related.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search