The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bargain Speakers Studio Monitors
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Bargain Speakers

So I'm looking to get a pair of speakers to replace my awful stock ones that came with my computer case but I can't exactly spend $1000. I'm looking for a good beginner level pair of speakers probably <$300. I'd been looking at the M-Audio Studiophile stuff but that's about as far as I've gotten. Any suggestions?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Nothing? I've seen speakers like the Aleis M1 Active 520 and the Roland MA 15D BK but I don't have experience with any of these or a brand preference. I'm gonna be going in through my Mbox 2 mini so I guess all I need is a 1/4" input? Active would be nice but not necessary.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Bargain Speakers

What's your budget?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I use Fostex PMO monitors...they are what they are. They came with a package I bought a while ago...they still work. I suggest something like those. 1/4inch TRS balanced inputs
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I use a pair of old Ampex monitor speakers I found at the Goodwill store for $10.

They sound better than my NS10's that I rarily use.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Check out ikey audio. iKey Audio. they have 5 and 6 inch monitors going for under $100 each online. I was gonna get a pair of 6 inch monitor from them, but came across some KRK rokit 6 v2 for $89 at guitar center. they where the limited editions ferrari reds from last year. I still might get the Ikey sub though.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Check out the Blue Sky eXo2. They come with a fully integrated sub at a very reasonable price
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

check out the NHT -MOOs
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matters View Post
What's your budget?
Ha, I actually just got some Christmas money so maybe <$300?

Also, thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'm looking into them right now
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns37 View Post
Ha, I actually just got some Christmas money so maybe <$300?

Also, thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'm looking into them right now

For short money, the BX8A Deluxe's are very nice, can be had for $350 on the net.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

just causer it said monitor on the box dont make it so... if i were you i'ld check into the hifi ads on craigslist... find out what's good that the local shop sells and then look for that brand on cl ads...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I wouldn't want to use them for anything hyper-critical, but "on the cheap" these are a pretty good deal at $200:
Bargain Speakers-a2.png
Audio Engine A2B Powered Desktop Speakers
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Too many choices! I think I've narrowed it down to these couple of speakers:

Alesis M1 Active MkII
Alesis M1 Active MkII | Sweetwater.com

M-Audio BX5a Deluxe
M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Sweetwater.com

Blue Sky eXo2
Blue Sky eXo2 | Sweetwater.com

They're all pretty close in price range but the eXo2's have that nice separated sub that would hopefully give me that low end that most of the complaints from the other budget monitors seem to stem from. Not quite sure how the wiring works, though. Do I come out of my Mbox 2 Mini and into the 1/4" inputs on the sub and then out of there into the satellites? Just wanna make sure I won't have any trouble there. What do you guys think? Any of those I SHOULDN'T get?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

And now the Mackie MR5s are on sale, so I guess add those to the mix
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

If I was on such a budget I'd start cruising craiglist, thrift stores and online sights like audiogon just waiting for something unusual and undervalued to pass by.

If I had to have something clean and new, perhaps these:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

You would need an amp for those. Might I suggest something with a tripath chip in it?

Amazon.com: Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier: Electronics

Yes, that's ~$19.80... And while it won't rattle the windows it'll give you super clean low and mid-volume performance.

There are some mods to improve it as happens with most budget tripath based amps. Post #218 gives a good example of a user report + mod:

Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 22 - diyAudio

If the environment is a concern go used or wait and purchase something you'll never need/want to upgrade from. This middle of the road crap is wasting so much fossil fuel and trees in production and transport only to be discarded after a few years.

Good luck finding the right speakers!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
[...]

Alesis M1 Active MkII
These aren't the greatest sounding monitors of all time, but the mixes I do on them usually sound pretty good when played back on other stuff (which after all, is what monitors are for).

My ONLY bitch with these is a design flaw which causes failure of one particular capacitor in the power supply. This causes total failure, and a flashing blue LED as the symptoms.

Fortunately, this can be easily and permanently fixed for a couple o' bucks (if you're handy with a soldering iron).

Here's the procedure:
Active MkII.txt
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Behringer Truth 2031A or 3031A. Ignore the bashers.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I'm looking to get a pair of speakers to replace my awful stock ones that came with my computer case but I can't exactly spend $1000. I'm looking for a good beginner level pair of speakers probably <$300. I'd been looking at the M-Audio Studiophile stuff but that's about as far as I've gotten. Any suggestions?
I'm using Studiophile DX4s and, it's not the best sound in the world, BUT you will get correct and translateable mixes! Never failed me. If it sounds good on them, it will sound good everywhere. May not be the best speakers for enjoyment of music, but they are very, very usable as speakers for working and producing good mixes!

Just make sure you close those bass-reflex holes.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

<500 I like Yamaha MSP5's.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
I'm using Studiophile DX4s and, it's not the best sound in the world, BUT you will get correct and translateable mixes! Never failed me. If it sounds good on them, it will sound good everywhere. May not be the best speakers for enjoyment of music, but they are very, very usable as speakers for working and producing good mixes!

Just make sure you close those bass-reflex holes.
I've had the Studiophile DX4's for a while, yep, they are surprisingly quite good for the price, although I consider them a secondary monitor, but use them half the time.

What do you mean about closing the bass-reflex holes though? Put a sock or something in them?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toine6 View Post
What do you mean about closing the bass-reflex holes though? Put a sock or something in them?
Yes. They sound more.... referent... that way.

I never trust reflected bass while mixing.
Old 28th December 2010
Deleted #157546
I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.1's. They are very good speaker for the price. Nice thick midrange. A good contrast to my Mackie HR824 mk1's.

You can get those for 300 bucks new or used for far less.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

i can't recommend the Alesis M1 Active MkII. i used them for a few years. they cost $400. what a breath of fresh air to get some mackie hr824s. i know not everyone loves the mackies but they cost the same (used) and sound way better imo. you can actually mix on them. the alesis sound like card board tubes to me.sorry, my 2 cents.

also the mackies will reproduce some low end. the alesis will not. talking under 60hz.

not pitching the mackies. just saying nay to the alesis. with enough time you will learn to mix on either i suppose.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

I found a ridiculously low price on used M-Audio Studiophile Bx5a Deluxes so I went ahead and got those and found a stand that was buy one get one free so with cables came away without paying north of $250. I'll try to update with pics when they get here
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
Yes. They sound more.... referent... that way.

I never trust reflected bass while mixing.

Just to make sure. "Sticking a sock in em" will work to ease this problem?
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea View Post
Just to make sure. "Sticking a sock in em" will work to ease this problem?
Yes. Try it and see for yourself. Just make sure the sock is tightly packed so absolutely no air escapes (test with the lighter or cigarette smoke or whatever).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search