The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI Beatmapping in Logic? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

MIDI Beatmapping in Logic?

Here's a problem which I'm sure Logic can solve, but I just don't know how:-

I've started a new way of working when composing piano pieces. I basically improvise on my digital piano for about 15 minutes, recording what I am playing into MIDI (i.e not audio) and crucially with the metronome turned OFF. Naturally, the resulting region has quantize turned off too. So basically, I am just jamming, but with no regard to the time signature or track tempo.

So perhaps predictably, what I want to now do is to start to develop the improvised piece into a structured composition, and the first thing I need to do is some kind of beat mapping, so that the track tempo follows the recorded notes. Is this possible? I'm not talking about quantizing the MIDI notes, but rather having a fluid tempo that follows what I have already done in it's unquantized state.

Ideally, what would be best would be to tap the tempo out as I hear it.

Any suggestions on what's possible?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sure that is possible with beat mapping. The best way to understand how beat mapping works will be looking up some YouTube videos. I'm not really sure how beat mapping works with midi based tracks, personally I use it only to align audio material to midi stuff (that I do in Logic). But you could of course bounce your midi part to audio if that would be an issue.

I think it would help if you set yourself some kind of basis tempo in the track that serves as a general rule of thumb for finally aligning your piano part with the beat mapping.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

you should be able to record a midi note which you use as your virtual tap tempo and then tempo map those hits into a tempo map.

that will write a tempo map in the tempo track.

it depends on how much your tempo varies. if it varies a lot then there becomes less reason to bother because you might as well just have a generalized rough tempo map and treat other parts like you would if you used a tape recorder.

not sure if your audio will warp in response to the tempo map but you should be able to switch that off.

other than that, the only other problems are if you want to loop out parts and apply quantize to other parts or are using tempo synced effects in pug-ins.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Excellent thanks. I didn't realise Beatmapping worked with MIDI too but it was just what I was looking for. Found some suitable vids on YouTube that explained how to do it.

Thanks. thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search